Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Lazy and empty journalism
Noodle

posted on 17/12/07 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
Lazy and empty journalism

Having had one of my email addresses active since God was a boy, I somehow got subscribed to the AutoExpress weekly email.

Sometimes I read it, sometimes I don't. This week I did as it contained one item, info about the new Focus RS. Well, I followed the link to what can only be described as an article written by a Ford sychophant who both knows nothing AND has nothing to report.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews/214005/ford_focus.html

The report decribes the vehicle (about which no details are known) as "an incredible blend of pace and value." and that "With stiffened and lowered suspension, plus uprated brakes, the Focus RS will be the ultimate expression of Ford’s driving excitement DNA."

Based upon what?

My cousin once worked for marketing at a well known German hi-fi manufacturer and would laugh at the crap printed in magazines. He would openly tell me of the inferiority of his product, yet it came out top in the ratings. He would just say "We have a budget for these things"

Who could of guessed that a tuned Focus would have "lowered and stiffened" suspension" and "uprated brakes"?

And for all the hyperbole, we all know it'll be wrong wheel drive - instantly helping me to avert my gaze to things more interesting - like cheese. Or topiary.

It's on sale in 2009 apparently.

Oh Auto Express - the insult to my intelligence, of which there is precious little - is so forthright that I shall never again purchase a copy of your rag, and priding myself as a man of honour (remember them?), that means ever.

Neil.

.... and exhale ....

Your sort make me sick

speedyxjs

posted on 17/12/07 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
Looks more like an off roader

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

Dangle_kt

posted on 17/12/07 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
I was pushed for anything to read the other week, and seeing it had a picture of a Westfield on the front I bought a copy.

What a mistake.

Paul TigerB6

posted on 18/12/07 at 12:24 AM Reply With Quote
"Factor in styling that will boast blistered arches, bonnet vents, all manner of wings and spoilers plus an interior that features figure-hugging racing seats, and the Focus RS will have the visual impact to match its performance too."

Now what will the Max Power boys be left with to "enhance" their RS if Ford have already turned it into a cover shot for MP magazine???

Give me an Evo X or Imprezza anyday - or more likely a £15k tintop and a £10k BEC for fun

Rob Palin

posted on 18/12/07 at 01:34 PM Reply With Quote
From what i've heard it's common practice for some magazines to publish the press releases from car companies verbatim. In this particular case i'd say it's purely a copy & paste job from the press office at Ford. Having worked for Jag before i've seen how they have a very big thing about the "DNA" of the cars within their empire. The phrase gets over-used quite painfully...
Noodle

posted on 18/12/07 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rob Palin
Having worked for Jag before i've seen how they have a very big thing about the "DNA" of the cars within their empire.

Presumably that's a euphemism for "parts bin"?

Neil.

Your sort make me sick

Rob Palin

posted on 18/12/07 at 10:44 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah! Bunch of inbreds and their shared genetics. I'm waiting now for the Ford 'Cleatus', or the Mazda 'Brandene', complete with webbed fingers and extra toes!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.