Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Be careful!!
liam.mccaffrey

posted on 4/1/08 at 01:51 PM Reply With Quote
Be careful!!

Be careful out there people, lsat night i was removing my miata uprights from the front subframe and whilst whacking the ball joint seperator tool (the joints are knackered anyway) a column of brake fluid shot out of the caliper bolt hole and hit me square in an open right eye.

eye protection at all times guys

atb

Liam Mc

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

stevec

posted on 4/1/08 at 01:55 PM Reply With Quote
Agreed, I wear prescription glasses anyway and I have been hit a few times with various ufo's
Steve.

BenB

posted on 4/1/08 at 01:59 PM Reply With Quote
What's annoying is when you're wearing goggles and you still get bits of metal swarf in the eye..... The geezer in eye casualty refused to believe I was wearing eye protection.... Bloody drs
davidosullivan

posted on 4/1/08 at 02:00 PM Reply With Quote
My science teacher at school always said "HEALTH AND SAFETY, make sure you're wearing your safety goggles, no matter what happens - you'll be ok if you're wearing safety goggles"

Admitedly, it doesn't help when you drop something on your foot and he was largerly mocking the system but its 90% true if you've got your goggles on you'll be ok...

oh and dont forget the gloves, steel toe boots, overall, ear defenders etc.

D

[Edited on 4/1/08 by davidosullivan]

To insanity and beyond http://www.davidosullivan.co.uk

fesycresy

posted on 4/1/08 at 02:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by liam.mccaffrey

eye protection at all times guys

atb

Liam Mc

You sound like one of those Health and Safety type people

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

skydivepaul

posted on 4/1/08 at 02:09 PM Reply With Quote
you only get one pair of eyes...........look after them

http://www.smartideasuk.com
http://www.smartmapping.co.uk
HD CCTV
3D design solutions and integration
IP security systems
access control systems

Hammerhead

posted on 4/1/08 at 02:13 PM Reply With Quote
also don't weld with trainers on! a spark landed on my shoe and melted straight through until it hit flesh

Luckily no harm done, but it served as a warning that i'll wear boots in future.

BenB

posted on 4/1/08 at 02:17 PM Reply With Quote
Been there, got the scorched toes to prove it

I also found out why you're supposed to tuck your boiler suit sleeves into your grinding gauntlets when a load of sparks shot up my sleeve and set-fire to the padding on the inside of it (it WAS a Dickies insulated worksuit!!)...

davidosullivan

posted on 4/1/08 at 02:24 PM Reply With Quote
sparks

My friend was doing some mods to his fiesta (scoff scoff).
He was grinding something or other and the sparks melted a nice line up his jumper!
Luckily he stopped before it melted on him.

D

To insanity and beyond http://www.davidosullivan.co.uk

martin1973

posted on 4/1/08 at 02:33 PM Reply With Quote
yes always wear goggles, doesnt do much for your knuckles tho

worst place to get a nice big bit of white hot weld is up the nose( smell yourself burning for weeks)

did someone say theres pork for tea??

[Edited on 4/1/08 by martin1973]

martin

Hellfire

posted on 4/1/08 at 03:05 PM Reply With Quote
Glasses/Goggles:

Whilst serving my apprenticeship (Ooer, age coming out there!!!) I got some swarf in my fringe (when I had enough hair) the swarf fell out of my hair and bounced on the inside lens of my glasses, straight into my eye.... bugger!

Had to go to casualty to have it removed - they never believed me either!

Steve

David Jenkins

posted on 4/1/08 at 03:10 PM Reply With Quote
Twice in the past few years I've been up to casualty due to grinder dust in my eye. I was wearing eye-protection both times!

Part of the problem is that I wear glasses, so it's hard to get a good fit. One of these days I'll probably get a decent visor to be absolutely sure - maybe even one of those with a fan inside that blows air down across your face.

nitram38

posted on 4/1/08 at 03:33 PM Reply With Quote
Watch out for wedding rings too.
A mate of mine was working under his car and got his ring wedged between the starter batt terminal and earth!
Lots of burning ensued plus lots of skin grafts aswell.

[Edited on 4/1/2008 by nitram38]

twybrow

posted on 4/1/08 at 03:40 PM Reply With Quote
I managed to splash 'acetone substitue' in my eye in the 1st week at a new job. I was wearing full goggles, but the liquid ran down my brow into my eye - ouch! Not wanting to look like a mupet, i staggered as blind as a bat to the toilets and stuck my head in the sink!

I have also sent countless people to casualty with catalyst burns to the eyes (really nasty stuff). Strangely, we could not convince most people on the shop floor the merits of goggles!

Go careful people!

AdamR

posted on 4/1/08 at 04:03 PM Reply With Quote
After a full day of grinding and welding last week, I managed to get a shard of metal in my eye when innocently tidying up the garage! When I looked in the mirror if was stuck right on the edge of my iris. Lot's of blinking and rubbing ensued but nothing would shift it, until my girlfriend suggested........ a magnet.
pewe

posted on 4/1/08 at 04:33 PM Reply With Quote
My old man was an RAF trained engineer and was near paranoid about rings (saw a guy lose a finger) , jewellery of any sort plus always insisted on hand, ear and eye protection. Evidently they won't allow techies to use Swarfega as long term use has been questioned as a cause of dermatitis.
You have been warned!
Cheers, Pewe

Davey D

posted on 4/1/08 at 04:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AdamR
After a full day of grinding and welding last week, I managed to get a shard of metal in my eye when innocently tidying up the garage! When I looked in the mirror if was stuck right on the edge of my iris. Lot's of blinking and rubbing ensued but nothing would shift it, until my girlfriend suggested........ a magnet.

Ive had metal splinter stuck in my eye.. had to goto casualty to get it removed. You have to rest your head in a cage to hold it still, then the doctor points a bright light into your eye, and uses a big magnifying glass so he can see it, and then uses a needle to pick it out it is soo hard to keep you eye open, and still as he is doing it.
Sounds gruesome, but didnt hurt at all. they put local aneisthetic eyedrops in before hand

02GF74

posted on 4/1/08 at 04:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pewe
My old man was an RAF trained engineer and was near paranoid about rings (saw a guy lose a finger) , You have been warned!

story my old man told me was about wearing rings purchased from the arabs in ww2 in middel east - they had clasps underneath to enable one size to fit all. one soldier who bought one had this part catch on the door as he jumped out of lorry - result was 4 fingers

llionellis

posted on 4/1/08 at 05:40 PM Reply With Quote
When I was much younger than I am today I had a Hillman Hunter. I was adjusting the points. low down on the drivers side of the engine, not too far from the starter solenoid. Unfortunately I was wearing a wristwatch with a metal band, the band shorted across the solenoid terminals, result deep painful burn right round my wrist and a busted watch.
zilspeed

posted on 4/1/08 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
Do as Norm says.
Wear safety glasses.

rusty nuts

posted on 4/1/08 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nitram38
Watch out for wedding rings too.
A mate of mine was working under his car and got his ring wedged between the starter batt terminal and earth!
Lots of burning ensued plus lots of skin grafts aswell.

My old foreman has an expanding watch strap pattern scar on his wrist , the smell was awful . Haven't worn a watch for work since.

[Edited on 4/1/2008 by nitram38]

posted on 4/1/08 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts

My old foreman has an expanding watch strap pattern scar on his wrist , the smell was awful . Haven't worn a watch for work since.

How do you know when to book overtime?

Paul G

rusty nuts

posted on 4/1/08 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
When my stomach starts to rumble.
pewe

posted on 5/1/08 at 11:54 AM Reply With Quote
"A mate of mine was working under his car and got his ring wedged between the starter batt terminal and earth!"

He must have been some contortionist then?

Sorry - couldn't resist it!
Cheers, Pewe

Paul TigerB6

posted on 5/1/08 at 02:52 PM Reply With Quote
Well i have just managed to rotary wire brush my left knuckle. Just come inside for a cuppa and a sulk while the bleeding stops
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.