Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: New member introduction
Blade

posted on 20/6/02 at 01:46 AM Reply With Quote
New member introduction

Just thought I'd introduce myself as I've just placed an order with Mr Keenan for one of his Indy kits.

A few months ago I saw something on the box about the Locost racing and ever since then I have thought of nothing else. I have visited most Lotus seven manufactures from Westfield to Luego and since gettin a go in the MK Indy life has never quite been the same.
I am definatly going for a Blade engine (hence usename) as I drive a Subaru Impreza so I needed something that would give some serious grin factor.

Despite all my reserch over the last few months I have yet to find an MK build diary online. If anyone knows of one please let me know.

If anyone has any advice/links/info on the MK or bike engines in cars it would be much appreaciated as I will soon be putting together a website dedicated to bike engined cars (and builds) using the content from Marc's old site http://biketransplant.tripod.com as he has now sold his car.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Jasper

posted on 20/6/02 at 11:47 AM Reply With Quote
Welcome Blade, there's loads of good help and advice on this forum. I'm currently in the chassis building stage, and have a ZX9R engine arriving on monday for my locost. Most of the guys here are car engined builders (they'll come to they're senses eventually!), but I'm sure you'll get a reply from Jon Ison, who's built a pretty awesome blade powered machine.

What part of the country do you live? As there are a few regular get togethers.

There's a BEC forum on Yahoo, mostly Caterhams and Westies, though it's nowhere near as easy to use as this one.

Keep on eye on Findit.co.uk under Kit Car Parts for bike engines, the guys I got mine from in Sheffield seem to have a regular supply as well. Let me know if you need they're details.

Good to hear from another bike engine builder!

Jon Ison

posted on 20/6/02 at 04:10 PM Reply With Quote
Top man, welcome to the fold, can't help with the MK bit, but oily bits ask away, as for the subaru, caught a glimpse of one a those once, in my mirrows.....
locodude

posted on 20/6/02 at 05:15 PM Reply With Quote
Hi All
Jesus H Christ, not another car with a sewing machine under the bonnet (throws grenade, puts tin hat on and jumps into fox hole!).
Chris PTM

Blade

posted on 20/6/02 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers guys.

LOL @ Chris.

Forgot to ask...
If anyone has any performance figures from their BEC? ie. 0-60 times, top end etc...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bob

posted on 20/6/02 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
Welcome to the fold

yahoo groups have an mkindy forum,its a bit quite but there are more than 20 builders on there so far.
I've not a build diary but a few pics in the achive here and on the indy groups on yahoo.
Hope this helps.

Jon Ison

posted on 20/6/02 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
a few numbers, which i'm sure a few guys on here who have been for a spin will testify too.....

1st, i have a data logging dash, so these are not best guess,

best 0-60 to date, 3.6 secs, top speed 124mph on rev limiter, acceleration to 110ish is preety swift, after that its a bit of an haul up to top speed, but not many roads you want those sorta speeds anyways.

my motor push's out 158.7 BHP @ 11600rpm, 132 BHP @ wheels.

My 0-60 times should improve when :-

A) i get rid of the crap tyres i have on back and put some sticky stuff on

B) I get my NOS fitted.....

add'd to all this the nimbleness of the locost and you won't have many problems with any car you come across if your in hooligan mode.........

Oh, PTM behave your self........all that french totty goin to ya head, it was just ya "Bum chin" they was lookin at you know.....

locodude

posted on 20/6/02 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
Hey Jon
You forgot to mention the fuel economy. How many miles does it do to the grain of rice? Me behave myself, compared to the Le Mans trip this is a wake! The photos will tell the true story. To be seen at a meeting near you shortly!
Chris PTM
p.s. I've already told you all it's selected bigotry. If I decide to put a bike engine in my car then I will be right and all the others will be wrong! It would have to be a Triumph 955i though!

locodude

posted on 20/6/02 at 10:00 PM Reply With Quote
Blade
Whatever you do, don't buy one of those plastic fuel tanks from Martin Keenan. I know the bloke that makes them and he's a complete twat of the highest order!!!
Chris PTM

chrisg

posted on 20/6/02 at 10:13 PM Reply With Quote
And his nutsack are quite saggy

Cheers

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

Blade

posted on 21/6/02 at 05:30 AM Reply With Quote
Was it you who I saw pull up in the Tangerine Dream carrying 2 of the afore mentioned fuel tanks into MK the other weekend??
Jon Ison

posted on 21/6/02 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
can't a been, he can only manage one ??????

hey i better retract that till i have a nice boot lid......

so don't read the above, it aint true, honest ??

locodude

posted on 21/6/02 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Blade
I refuse to be drawn on my whereabouts on the day in question as I could incriminate myself. Was it you in the silver scooby? Don't they have an alfasud replica engine?
Chris PTM

locodude

posted on 21/6/02 at 09:49 PM Reply With Quote
Jon
What is the age and spec of your engine. Is it a standard blade or has it been breathed on. Because if it's standard it's either been sprinkled with fairy dust or you are living in cloud cuckoo land with those power outputs! You'd be lucky to see those figures on a Tony Scott tuned engine (anyone who knows bike racing will know who I mean). I'm not wishing to diss your claims, just very interested!
Chris PTM

Metal Hippy™

posted on 22/6/02 at 12:00 AM Reply With Quote
I've seen the evidence on paper...

His power outputs are genuine.

Rich.

President of the Non-conformist Locost Builders Club. E-mail for details...

locodude

posted on 22/6/02 at 09:59 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Rich
It says Bisto on busses but they don't sell it. Martins (MK) blade puts out 135 ish at the crank and about 110 at the back wheels. Thats a big difference! But like I say I don't know the spec of the engine in the Isonblade.
Chris PTM

Jon Ison

posted on 22/6/02 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
its been breathed on some what, 5 page dyno print out available for all to see, power n tourque reading taken every 0.5 mph from 40 mph to 124mph, graphs also available showing the outputs for 2 different cans.....if i said John Nobel, would that be reputable enough for the rollers ?

If you know the Blade engine you will have noticed my peak power is just about at the standard red line, due to the internal mods mine revs on another 1000rpm to 12600 B4 it hits the limiter, there in should a been a clue to cam, head, rod, crank and electronic work having taken place.

lots a people claim 200bhp + pinto's, a few even have it, allmost double standard, mine is 25 / 30 bhp up from standard, not that big a hike if you look at it that way ? but if you wanna see it on the rollers i'll give you a shout, cos NOS is on its way.....followed by another session on the dyno

locodude

posted on 22/6/02 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
Jon
You're madder than a mad thing that's just been let out of Rampton for the maddest thing in England contest. And won hands down!
I think that your sanity is somewhat in question!!!!
Chris PTM (lowly crossflow owner, bowing head in deference)
p.s. it's still a piece of poo Jap tin!

Blade

posted on 23/6/02 at 10:14 AM Reply With Quote
Sounds like my kinda motor Jon

Chris, Was it at least your car? The Tangerine thing-a-me at MK? (Not that it was you carrying the two tanks in )

locodude

posted on 23/6/02 at 12:50 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Blade
Yes it was my car but I'm not prepared to admit it was me. It could have been any tall fat, sarcastic, loudmouth from Maltby delivering the tanks! Anyhoo good luck with the build, engine notwithstanding!
Chris PTM

Blade

posted on 23/6/02 at 10:35 PM Reply With Quote
Just so you know...

I ordered orange panels BEFORE your car pulled up.

Dazza

posted on 24/6/02 at 11:24 AM Reply With Quote
A PTM wanabeeeee!!!!!!!!!!

fuckit

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

locodude

posted on 24/6/02 at 05:49 PM Reply With Quote
Hey Dazza
They know a good thing when they see it! As certain pictures from Le Mans will testicle, I mean testify!!!!
Chris PTM

Blade

posted on 24/6/02 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
PTM ?
locodude

posted on 24/6/02 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
Plastic Tank Man
One of my many aliases! Also including, Locodude, Bob Alzeimer, Saggy Bollocks etc... To name but a few!
Chris PTM

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.