Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Project Spending Ideas
minordelay

posted on 24/1/08 at 04:01 PM Reply With Quote
Project Spending Ideas

I have about 6k to spend on a new project car for my motorsport engineering students. I was thinking autograss car but 6k won't buy a lot new.

If I don't spend the money on another car I might lose it. So any ideas welcome.

Here's the facts we have built (almost) an indyblade, and now have strong links with westfield. So another 7 is not out of the question but I fancy something else, it may be raced occasionally.

Preferably comes in kit form we may be able to supply running gear etc if common enough to keep costs down.

I have to go through a quite long winded order process so reputable traders only.

let me know your thoughts please.

Phil.J

posted on 24/1/08 at 04:09 PM Reply With Quote
Formula Student project. You budget's about right and you have just about enough time for this year's competition if they are all dedicated and get their fingers out! Not sure if you're still in time to register though.
minordelay

posted on 24/1/08 at 04:25 PM Reply With Quote
The learners are not really at that level. I only teach at a FE college. Unfortunately I have limited spare time at the weekends myself and very limited finances / resources unfortunately.

Ideally I would like to have a budget to build a car from parts, but the process of obtaining three quotes over £1000 and a long wait for any sort of order makes it very exhaustive. Hence the single package.

worX

posted on 24/1/08 at 04:33 PM Reply With Quote
I think your situation really does lend itself to this!
http://www.roadrunnerracing.co.uk/

Give them a call and speak to Kev, he's a top bloke and I'm sure would love to discuss it with you!

Steve

[Edited on 24/1/08 by worX]

vinny1275

posted on 24/1/08 at 04:43 PM Reply With Quote
You could try Spire's GT-R (clicky)

Paul can supply all the main bits, it uses Sierra running gear, but it's not so complete that your students won't have to figure some stuff out for themselves.....

minordelay

posted on 24/1/08 at 04:43 PM Reply With Quote
I think it will add up to too much by the time we factor in everthing needed. But i'll try giving him a ring anyhow.

Cheers

Keep the ideas coming though

Andy B

posted on 24/1/08 at 05:04 PM Reply With Quote
New Project

Have you looked at the new Fulcrum from Raw. Following pressure to develop a new full body for the already sorted Striker chassis, we have been working over the winter with Raw and unveiled the new car at the Autosport show.
Its a direct fit to the original 7 style chassis and might satisfy those looking for something a little different. We are building 3 at the moment for the RGB race series and whilst these are over the top on spec you can build the base car on a very tight budget,
If we can be of further assistance give us a call on 01449 736633
Regards
Andy - AB Performance

[Edited on 24/1/08 by Andy B]

jambojeef

posted on 24/1/08 at 05:32 PM Reply With Quote
What about a race bike?

Get something lovely for £4k and make lots of carbon repalcement bits for the fairing and stuff - bit of CNC making rear sets - aero, forces, etc etc

They could learn a lot from something like that?

Im doing a striker with my year 12 / 13 Btec engineering students but id consider a bike next time round.

Geoff

hampshe

posted on 24/1/08 at 11:36 PM Reply With Quote
If it is of interest, I am designing and building a 2 seater road and track version of the car in my avatar, but with less bodywork, although probably too early in the design and build stage for you as I have the chassis 60% built, but there would be a lot for your student to get involved with and I am looking to have it on the road by the middle of summer.

Tony

iank

posted on 24/1/08 at 11:53 PM Reply With Quote
What about the Furore? I'm sure Russbost will be along soon http://www.furorecars.co.uk

Autograss car kits from GB Engineering don't seem completely out of range for £6k, certainly the junior seems pretty complete for the money.
http://www.berrisford.co.uk/index.php?sectiontype=2?osCsid=p66j3fd7nnhunkuviuu9slm2r2

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

PAUL FISHER

posted on 25/1/08 at 12:55 AM Reply With Quote
Another vote for Roadrunner racing,and the sprint R,there kits are very very comprehensive,I am sure they would be very interested in getting involed in your project. Would be well worth a call and a chat.
minordelay

posted on 25/1/08 at 09:52 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys.

I will be contacting Andy at AB Performance and will also be looking at the Sprint R along with a couple of others. if we build a grasser i wan't it to be a quick one.

If I'm lucky enough to get the green light I'll let you know. I had more cash in theory last year and priced up a class 9 Busa powered grasser only to find the funds no longer available. It's a nightmare but if I don't try to spend a potential budget we might lose it.

I thought I was going to be a teacher when I got this job

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.