Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Halfords Socket sets - Any good or cheap tat??
eznfrank

posted on 30/1/08 at 02:51 PM Reply With Quote
Halfords Socket sets - Any good or cheap tat??

For reasons I won't bore you with I have ended up with £500 in vouchers to use at a variety of High Street shops such as Argos, but one of the shops is Halfords and I thought I might buy myself one of their socket sets and maybe a few other bots n bobs, axle stands etc.

Has anyone bought from here before and if so are they any good? ie. are they gonna turn to chalk when the come across a stubborn nut etc?

Thanks

indykid

posted on 30/1/08 at 02:54 PM Reply With Quote
all the professional range is good quality and has a lifetime guarantee that's pretty no quibble.

unless you're going to buy snap on, you'll not find any issue with it

tom

r1_pete

posted on 30/1/08 at 02:56 PM Reply With Quote
I've a few odd sockets from there, no problems so far, had some tough use too. Another good thing I noticed they sell spares, like ratchet wheels so when things do start to wear you can revive without buying all new. But the pro range is lifetime guaranteed anyway.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mr Whippy

posted on 30/1/08 at 02:59 PM Reply With Quote
Halfords own brand tools are very good, I have bought many often to replace broken tools by well known makes. They come with a lifetime guarantee which they do honour even when it’s obviously your fault. I have never snapped any of their spanners, ratchets or sockets even when totally abusing them, like using a big ratchet as a hammer . Their ratchet spanners can take unbelievable loads without stripping even tight wheel nuts can be removed.

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ChrisW

posted on 30/1/08 at 03:05 PM Reply With Quote
Another vote for 'yes' on the professional range. I was under the impression they are made by Teng, which are reasonable anyway.

However, the lifetime warranty is the thing that sells it for me. Lets face it, we use our tools at the weekend, and Halfords is open 7 days. It's happened a couple of times that I've broken the one socket I need. Quick drive down there, and I have a brand new one. They don't quibble or argue, just replace.

Not that they break anyway... unless you really abuse them!

Their torque wrenches arn't bad either for the price.

Chris

paulmw

posted on 30/1/08 at 03:05 PM Reply With Quote
I bought the professional socket set for £100 and the tap and die for £20.

Both are excellent and I would highly recommend for the price

Pezza

posted on 30/1/08 at 03:07 PM Reply With Quote
Pro range is great imo.
Picked up some ratchet spanners and a socket set over crimbo, nice solid feel and the have worked faultlessly on the Indy in the last month.
Can't quibble with a lifetime warrenty.
Get yourself a trade card and get even more for your money

You couldn't pwn your way out of a wet paper bag, with "PWN ME!!" written on it, from the "pwned take-away" which originally contained one portion of chicken tikka pwnsala and the obligatory free pwnpadom.

wilkingj

posted on 30/1/08 at 03:09 PM Reply With Quote
Yep, I have a Halfords Pro range socket set.

Excellent. Have had one screwdriver ended socket shatter on the first use. local shop replaced it without even questiong me.

Cant fault it.

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

irvined

posted on 30/1/08 at 03:23 PM Reply With Quote
Halfords pro range is good stuff for the money, most of my sockets and decent spanners are from that range.

They are pretty strong, and take a lot of abuse, i haven't broken anything except through blatant abuse - i broke a saw handle when using it to level and engine block into place and it was replaced without any discussion.

http://irvined.blogspot.com

StevieB

posted on 30/1/08 at 03:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wilkingj
Yep, I have a Halfords Pro range socket set.

Excellent. Have had one screwdriver ended socket shatter on the first use. local shop replaced it without even questiong me.

Cant fault it.

Exacty the same things happened to my screwdriver ended socket - haven't taken in back yet but the set has definately served me well.

The professional tool chests are good too

rayward

posted on 30/1/08 at 03:45 PM Reply With Quote
got the big proffesional socket set, its had some serious hammer and still ok,

Ray

bonzoronnie

posted on 30/1/08 at 03:53 PM Reply With Quote
Halfords Pro tools

After many years as a Snap-off nut. Poor after sales service led me to the Halfords Pro range.

I have not bought anything else since.

Halfords Pro rule

Ronnie

DarrenW

posted on 30/1/08 at 03:54 PM Reply With Quote
Another vote for the pro range. I only have the ratchets but never had a poblem with them. Would buy again. The ratchet spanners look handy.

UncleFista

posted on 30/1/08 at 04:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DarrenW
Another vote for the pro range. I only have the ratchets but never had a poblem with them. Would buy again. The ratchet spanners look handy.

Just to note, their ratchet spanners are no longer covered by the "lifetime" warranty...

Tony Bond / UncleFista

Love is like a snowmobile, speeding across the frozen tundra.
Which suddenly flips, pinning you underneath.
At night the ice-weasels come...

stevebubs

posted on 30/1/08 at 04:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by UncleFista
quote:
Originally posted by DarrenW

Just to note, their ratchet spanners are no longer covered by the "lifetime" warranty...

I don't think any of the Halfords ratchets are as they view the fact that if you've broken one, you've probably been using the wrong tool....

At the end of the day, they're a high street store and would have every idiot who didn't know what a breaker's bar was trying to put a piece of scaffolding on a 1/4 ratchet then complaining when the mechanism fell apart.

Humbug

posted on 30/1/08 at 04:38 PM Reply With Quote
I've used Halfords flexi head ratchect spanners for my build and they've been fine
Mr Whippy

posted on 30/1/08 at 04:48 PM Reply With Quote
hmm time toget some shares in Halfords

jkarran

posted on 30/1/08 at 04:55 PM Reply With Quote
Another thumbs up for the Pro range tool set.

The only damage mine has picked up over the years has been down to my gross stupidity and abuse.

I've one slightly spirally Torx tipped socket after it was used on the impact driver to strip a crusty old diff and a couple of the small spanners have some tiny marks around the open jaws, mostly where I've resorted to a hammer to loosen stubborn nuts.

The warrenty doesn't cover stupidity
jk

Mr Whippy

posted on 30/1/08 at 04:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ChrisW
I was under the impression they are made by Teng, which are reasonable anyway.

I don't think so as I have some of thier tools and there not as good as the Halfords ones. I even snapped my Teng Long Tommy Bar trying to get some Landy wheel nuts off just pulling on it, I wasn't pleased.

[Edited on 30/1/08 by Mr Whippy]

bassett

posted on 30/1/08 at 05:22 PM Reply With Quote
I work there and think there pretty good as long as you stick to the professional range. Only had a few hex sockets back and replace over the counter. havent seen more than 1 3/8 ratchet back
andrew.carwithen

posted on 30/1/08 at 05:35 PM Reply With Quote
I recommend the 'professional' range too.
I've had my pro socket set for three years and the only socket to fail was the torx socket when undoing the Sierra diff/driveshaft bolts which were seriously tight. (It managed to undo all of them until failing on last one.)
Anyway, Halfords replaced it no problem.

Andy.

Mansfield

posted on 30/1/08 at 05:56 PM Reply With Quote
I have the biggest set they do, have had it for 7-8 years. It has provided me with years of excellent service and I would buy another one tomorrow if this one was nicked. Good selection of deep sockets and some rachet spanners too.

The only thing I have broken was a torx bit that I hammered into a knackered allen head I tried to turn with the 1/2" ratchet. To be fair I would have been more suprised I that hadn't broke.

The only thing I would complain about is if you lose the foam pad that seperates the top and bottom tools some of the sockets fall out when you pick it up by the handles.

Watch out for the offers they do on the big set - I think the lowest I have seen is £99 - lot of good tools for the money.

ash_hammond

posted on 30/1/08 at 06:09 PM Reply With Quote
Halfords Professional all the way, has given me good service.

Also if you can lay your hands on a Halfords trade card it gives you 10% off the entire Pro Range.

.: www.mac1motorsports.co.uk | www.m1moc.com :.

NS Dev

posted on 30/1/08 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
yep, here too and I'm pretty fussy, I have snap-on, facom, britool and halfords pro, all just dandy, never broken any of them under "reasonable use"

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

britishtrident

posted on 30/1/08 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
Spanners seem OK but had a bad experience with the pro range sockets, two of the sockets in a set were oversize and useless for serious work (10 & 13 mm !!!) , rather than take the sockets back I just replaced from my stock of odd sockets but it dosen't say much for the quality control.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.