Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Building a Locost in Central London
incubator

posted on 8/2/08 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
Building a Locost in Central London

I recently came accross the Ron Champion book, and am considering building a Locost, however as i live in london i dont have a garage.

I am toying with the idea of hiring a warehouse, maybe 2 - 3000sq ft that could be used by people who also want to build a locost, but dont have a workshop.

im not sure how much space an individual would require, but at a guess, if i got 2000 sq ft and each person was to be given 200 sq ft, we could probably fit 8 people into the warehouse.

If anyone is interested in taking some space or know someone who might be interested then please get in touch with me on arifsaeedathome@yahoo.co.uk

Howlor

posted on 8/2/08 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
Welcome to the forum. Nice idea to group together. hope you find some others to go in with you.

Steve

JoelP

posted on 8/2/08 at 07:55 PM Reply With Quote
i thought of just this last week, problem i couldnt work out though is security - everyones stuff there but with fairly easy access. Its a good idea but no one wants to get their stuff robbed!
zetec

posted on 8/2/08 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
Just rent a single garage with power...£50 a month.
Mr Whippy

posted on 8/2/08 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
hopefully it won't take 4 years to build

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
James

posted on 8/2/08 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
Nice idea.... and summat that one of the bigger manufacturers (used to?) do. Stuart Taylor maybe? Can't remember now.

Have you tried finding someone local who will let you use/rent their garage?

Getting power in council garages isn't easy I've found!

HTH,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

AdamR

posted on 8/2/08 at 11:09 PM Reply With Quote
Could be interested if the price is right. I live and work in London but my project is currently 160 miles away at my folks place, which does have a bit of an impact on progress!
james h

posted on 9/2/08 at 01:22 AM Reply With Quote
I am in the exact same spot as Adam, but I think its a really good idea - as said security is obviously an issue.
finlay

posted on 9/2/08 at 09:10 AM Reply With Quote
EXCELLENT IDEA !!!, i bet there are loads of people in london who would love to have a space for a project and would be great for sharing ideas etc
bob

posted on 9/2/08 at 09:55 PM Reply With Quote
So, how much would you expect to pay for rental on a warehouse of 2/3000 sqf in london ?

marcyboy

posted on 10/2/08 at 07:42 AM Reply With Quote
all depends on which part of london!!
incubator

posted on 11/2/08 at 11:07 PM Reply With Quote
ive been thinking about the security issue myself, and i think for it to work people would need to be able to lock up their projects, not sure if there is a cost effective solution to this.

ive seen warehouse units for £7-10/Sq ft so 2000sq ft would cost between £14000 - £20,000 per annum, i suppose the per person cost will depend on the number of projects that could be squeezed into the space. does anyone have any ideas how much space each person would require.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.