Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Sierra Diff cover bolts
eznfrank

posted on 9/2/08 at 05:26 PM Reply With Quote
Sierra Diff cover bolts

Is there anything unusual about the Sierra diff cover bolts?? Like them being opposite thread or anything daft like that? Mine aint budged an inch all day!!

I'm a bit loathed to get big bar and big hammer on it just yet, especially with those stoopid star bolt thingies as I imagine it will cost many knuckles!!

piddy

posted on 9/2/08 at 05:51 PM Reply With Quote
They are normal thread, a pig to undo I end up cutting an edge on some and using a chisel.
An impact drive is very useful to undo them.

jacko

posted on 9/2/08 at 06:47 PM Reply With Quote
Give them a smack with a hammer then try again
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bigrich

posted on 9/2/08 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
+1
give em a whack with the tool of the pikey then undo with a good fitting torx bit

A pint for the gent and a white wine/fruit based drink for the lady. Those are the rules

eznfrank

posted on 9/2/08 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers fellas, I'll give it a bash (literally), i did give it a bit of a tickle earlier but was worried about cracking the alloy case, but I guess it'll be reet.

ta

minitici

posted on 9/2/08 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
Big hammer and chisel!
But there again I don't re-use the cases after I extract the LSDs

jkarran

posted on 9/2/08 at 11:36 PM Reply With Quote
Impact driver set to '4' resulting in loose bolts and a Dali-esque Torx bit from memory

jk

scotty g

posted on 10/2/08 at 07:11 AM Reply With Quote
i remember all mine were like that as well and i too was a little bit scared to whack it with the large adjuster so i just used a good quality torx bit, with my socket set and a nice long bar, it feels like its not going to go then all of a sudden you hear and feel it go then its lovely and loose.
Good luck anyways.

NS Dev

posted on 10/2/08 at 11:05 AM Reply With Quote
as others said, give them a good clout square on their heads with a hammer before undoing them.

if that fails, try an impact driver if you have one, or on some you can get a sillson round the head of it, and if that fails, smack them undone by tapping them round with a cold chisel

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.