New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: nuclear weapons
thunderace

posted on 10/2/08 at 01:06 PM Reply With Quote
nuclear weapons

do we need them.
smart51

posted on 10/2/08 at 01:28 PM Reply With Quote
Do you really want America and the bad guys to be the only ones to have them?

They are undeniably bad things but you can't un-invent them. Your choices are 1) don't have them in a world where other countries do 2) have them as a credible counter threat.

They exist as a weapon of last resort. You don't win by using them unless the other side don't have any. You assure the other side that they will loose too in a "mutually assured destruction" type scenario. Otherwise known as "You nuke us and we take you down with us". Sadly, that's the only way to deal with the unhinged dictator. If they had them and we didn't they could extort anything they wanted.

David Jenkins

posted on 10/2/08 at 02:08 PM Reply With Quote
The best response was given in an episode of "Yes Prime Minister", in an episode called "The Grand Design" - where Hacker is asked exactly when he'd launch the missiles if the Russians attacked.

Well worth a read...

carpmart

posted on 10/2/08 at 02:22 PM Reply With Quote
As a deterrent they are vital.

I just hope to god no one ever calls our bluff and that they stay unused!

You only live once - make the most of it!

Radical Clubsport, Kwaker motor
'94 MX5 MK1, 1.8
F10 M5 - 600bhp Daily Hack
Range Rover Sport - Wife's Car
Mercedes A class - Son's Car

Mr Whippy

posted on 10/2/08 at 03:03 PM Reply With Quote
It's shocking how close America and Russia have come to using them, only pure chance and luck has prevented it

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Peteff

posted on 10/2/08 at 03:58 PM Reply With Quote
How can you resist a big red button that says "Do Not Press". It's just asking for trouble

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Mr Whippy

posted on 10/2/08 at 05:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
How can you resist a big red button that says "Do Not Press". It's just asking for trouble

how cool is this -

http://www.thegreenhead.com/imgs/self-destruct-button-dx_3.jpg

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Macbeast

posted on 10/2/08 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
Pakistan is not our friend.

Pakistan has nuclear weapons.

Need I go on ?

AlphaX

posted on 10/2/08 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
iceland isnt friends with many countries either, but they don't even have an army. And nobody attacks them.

need I to go on?

JoelP

posted on 10/2/08 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Macbeast

Need I go on ?

i think you'll actually find that pakistan DOES count as a friendly nation on the global scale of things.

JoelP

posted on 10/2/08 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AlphaX
iceland isnt friends with many countries either, but they don't even have an army. And nobody attacks them.

need I to go on?

iceland is part of nato, so is still defended if needed. But then, who would want to invade iceland?!

Fact is, if you want to be a world player you need influence. Nuclear weapons are just one part of the jigsaw.

Bob C

posted on 10/2/08 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
You don't think we actually HAVE atom bombs do you? Dear me no, they're far too expensive and are made of quite unpleasant chemicals.
Please don't let on to the enemies of democracy though........

Schrodinger

posted on 10/2/08 at 11:47 PM Reply With Quote
I was reading a book recently by CP Snow called The Scientists and in the sixties a scientific advisor was asked how many bombs would it take to destroy GB to which his response was 5 but to be on the safe side say 7 but all of the bombs that the USSR had would take out approx 50% of the USA.
I don't think we would have much say in any war.

Keith
Aviemore

Simon

posted on 11/2/08 at 01:06 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bob C
You don't think we actually HAVE atom bombs do you? Dear me no, they're far too expensive and are made of quite unpleasant chemicals.
Please don't let on to the enemies of democracy though........

My thoughts too. Owned, controlled and maintained (at huge cost, no doubt) by our "friends" across the pond!

ATB

Simon

Confused but excited.

posted on 12/2/08 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Macbeast

Need I go on ?

They won't bomb us and jeopardise all those corner shops.

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

02GF74

posted on 13/2/08 at 11:23 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AlphaX

need I to go on?

ofcourse not becasue then you'd have to trek to aldi. lidl or netto for cheap frozen food.

JUD

posted on 13/2/08 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
I was at a defence conference where an American General was asked about the US position on the Iranian nuclear program. He categorically stated that should they identify clear "evidence" that Iran was developing a nuclear weapons capability then the US would react - irrespective of the Iranian capability to deploy the weapon. The US position was stated as being the belief that Iran would us the weapons as a means to dominate the Middle East using conventional weapons, under the protection of a nuclear deterant.

Add the capability to deploy devices over a short range (in a truck driven into a neighboring country) then the threat becomes very real.

Then add the possibility of Iran arming anybody that had the same mutual enemies (most of the western world) and the threat reaches further afield...

The matter of fact way he delivered his answer to a question from the audience (not a prepared speech) was cold, and very calculated. A very interesting, if somewhat scarey chap.

It is only a matter of time...

---------------------
MK Indy Blade

Spyderman

posted on 14/2/08 at 01:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JUD
I was at a defence conference where an American General was asked about the US position on the Iranian nuclear program. He categorically stated that should they identify clear "evidence" that Iran was developing a nuclear weapons capability then the US would react - irrespective of the Iranian capability to deploy the weapon. The US position was stated as being the belief that Iran would us the weapons as a means to dominate the Middle East using conventional weapons, under the protection of a nuclear deterant.

Add the capability to deploy devices over a short range (in a truck driven into a neighboring country) then the threat becomes very real.

Then add the possibility of Iran arming anybody that had the same mutual enemies (most of the western world) and the threat reaches further afield...

The matter of fact way he delivered his answer to a question from the audience (not a prepared speech) was cold, and very calculated. A very interesting, if somewhat scarey chap.

It is only a matter of time...

That is only because some Americans (and others) think that they are the only ones allowed to do "all of the above" without threat of retaliation.

It used to be our role to inflict rule over other nations. All the way back to the crusades.

The development of new killing weapons has always been critical in domination. It is just the scale of killing that increases.

Spyderman

Mr Whippy

posted on 14/2/08 at 04:26 PM Reply With Quote
Any small nation that actually used a bomb on another would suddenly find itself getting a right proper kicking by America while all the others quite happily turn a blind eye. No one would object.

David Jenkins

posted on 14/2/08 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
I listened to a very scary talk many years ago, mostly to do with civil defence. A large part of it was about how to protect yourself in the event of a nuclear explosion - gave me the willies, and a few nightmares in the weeks following. It was mostly to do with surviving the fallout.

Allegedly the big worry now is not something being delivered on a missile - the main risk is something packed into a container and stuck on the back of a lorry. And I live just over 10 miles from the 2nd biggest container port in the UK...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.