Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: ARC Welding sufficient??
gsand

posted on 27/10/03 at 07:22 AM Reply With Quote
ARC Welding sufficient??

Im going to start building my Locost soon, and was wondering if an ARC Welder is good enough to weld up the chassis. I cant really afford to buy a MIG welder, but I am very good at MIG welding using the one at my school. Ive got an ARC welder already, so if i can use that it would be handy. Im ok at ARC welding, and my welds seem to be alright, but the chassis has to be much stronger over here in Australia just to pass the torsion test.

Any advice would be greatly appriciated.

ps: i may well be the youngest person to build a Locost (im 15, turning 16 in june, hope to have it on the road my the end of 2004)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Hornet

posted on 27/10/03 at 08:44 AM Reply With Quote
I'm pretty good with ARC myself.. but the chassis tubing is only 1.6mm thick. Its kida difficult to stop blowing holes in it... well it was for me
gsand

posted on 27/10/03 at 09:08 AM Reply With Quote
Hmm.... it seems like ARC welding would be strong enough..... I just dont trust myself because in know how much stonger my MIG welds are. Your chassis looks good, has it passed torsion tests, or you're not that far ahead yet. I dont get many holes in my work, i welded up a landsailer out of 20x20x1mm square tube, only had abour 3 holes in the whole build, ended up rusting to peices, literraly .
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Hugh Paterson

posted on 27/10/03 at 10:15 AM Reply With Quote
If you can weld 1mm tube cannot see that u will have much problem welding 1.6mm tube, most people find its easier to learn to mig weld, and of course its a cleaner weld to "finish" no slag to whack off. If u are using 1.6mm just do what the rest of us do and try a few practise welds on some scrap sections before u waste all the good stuff
Shug.

Jayce Lane

posted on 27/10/03 at 11:15 AM Reply With Quote
wont it just be easier to go for 2.0mm thick steel as opposed to 1.6mm. The chassis may be a little heavier, but also a bit stronger.

This is a question I am asking myself as I have yet to get going on my chassis

Hornet

posted on 27/10/03 at 12:28 PM Reply With Quote
Only other point from me.. is the amount of distortion with an ARC.... this would probably lead to problems due to extra heat.
welshy

posted on 27/10/03 at 12:35 PM Reply With Quote
My chassis has been arc welded and is made up of 2mm thick SHS. There was minimal distortion but you must ensure you weld opposite corners when fully welding.

I am not Welsh!!!!!!!!!!

Mark Allanson

posted on 27/10/03 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
Arc welding will produce a muck better weld - significantly stronger than MIG. The main problem is starting the weld when using these little DIY air cooledunits. They have an OCV (open circuit voltage ) of usually 48v which makes for a cold starting weld and sticking of rods etc. The 'new' inverter units have an OCV of usually about 80v and are super smooth to use - and produce much better welds.

If you are going to arc your chassis, I would use 2mm Satinex rods, very strong and easy to use, they are available from BOC. The flux just curls up and falls off, so less chipping of slag.

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

johnston

posted on 2/11/03 at 10:13 AM Reply With Quote
i'd never used an arc till i changed jobs recently now i hardly use a mig just a case of getting the right rods and settings on the welder

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.