Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: v-max or not
ch1ll1

posted on 23/2/08 at 05:14 PM Reply With Quote
v-max or not

hi all
any body done a v-max engine ?
just looking round and thinking (out loud or am i just dreaming )

i think its a great bike,was a mental bike
but in a car?
whats your views?
i know its different,
parts need to be made ( down side)
cheers paul

froggy

posted on 23/2/08 at 05:18 PM Reply With Quote
mine is fully dyno jetted and runs v boost from 3k with 170hp but its a big girl and i think sump baffling would be a big issue as the light flickers when you gun it in a straight line so in a car it would be rattling before long.there are several engine issues but most maxes have an easy life . Rescued attachment 5fbb_12.jpg
Rescued attachment 5fbb_12.jpg

ch1ll1

posted on 23/2/08 at 05:24 PM Reply With Quote
dont you just think there a nice bike!

coozer

posted on 23/2/08 at 06:30 PM Reply With Quote
Shaft drive are they not? possible to fit in a 7 the same way as a bike. Tons of power and torque, super duper V4

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

froggy

posted on 23/2/08 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
mine is in my conservatory after a full polish i dont want to get it dirty ican confirm that my max will outrun an r1 from 70 -130mph corners are a different story though Rescued attachment 6e5e_12.jpg
Rescued attachment 6e5e_12.jpg

zilspeed

posted on 23/2/08 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
Shaft drive yes, but.

In common with all shaft bikes (to my knowledge) it has the shaft to the left of the rear wheel when viewed from the front, which means it rotates counter clockwise, again from the same view.
So, you would have to flip the diff / rear axle or do some equally bonkers / clever.

graememk

posted on 23/2/08 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
bmw have the shaft drive on the right dont they ?

Bob C

posted on 24/2/08 at 12:46 AM Reply With Quote
My bro had one of these & I remember him saying that a chain conversion kit existed which made the bike a lot faster because nearly all the transmission losses went away.
Bear with me here - I know a big plus for the engine is it's shaft drive - but it's turning the wrong way.....
So it seems possible that the output bevel gear could be took off & the engine used like a conventional BEC. Then the question arises, which way does THAT shaft rotate....???

robertwa

posted on 24/2/08 at 01:04 AM Reply With Quote
Yep, with the Vmax, the middle driven gear can be removed and it will rotate the same way as conventional bikes:

gear assembly

Obviously some sort of side cover and oil seal would need to be fabricated for this mod though.
I wish my FJR could have been modded this way, but it has an extra jack-shaft which makes it spin in reverse. The shafties have a lot of suttle differences and you need to be careful before comitting. Having said that, my upside down axle seems to be working well.

matt_claydon

posted on 24/2/08 at 10:47 AM Reply With Quote
Doesn't matter which way the shaft turns, just turn the diff upside-down (after blocking off the breather hole and drilling a new one!)
locoboy

posted on 25/2/08 at 10:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by matt_claydon
Doesn't matter which way the shaft turns, just turn the diff upside-down (after blocking off the breather hole and drilling a new one!)

I beg to differ.

The cut of the gearing in the diff lends itself to the intended rotation.

A friend of mine owns the rights to the Kindred spirit 3 wheel cars and has fitted a V max to one of those and used MANY sierra diffs along the way.

It eats them when its running backwards and it always sounds like its whining as your car does when its in reverse!

It was an awsome machine though and would spin the front wheels in 4th.

He is now working on grafting the rear swingarm from the MAx into the rear of the car and see how that goes.

ATB
Locoboy

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.