Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Build your own ....helicopter???
novacaine

posted on 26/2/08 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
Build your own ....helicopter???

Browsing the web some time last week and found a number of sites selling plans/kits for home made aircraft.

It seems that the americans are into their homebuilt planes and helicopters

Have a look at this one...

Helicopter link

to me that looks surprisingly basic and a bit intriguing

not sure i would trust it if i had a heli that was built from scratch but i quite like the idea of a kit helicopter (a little bit more substantial ideally ) cool way of getting around

Bit more like this one...

second link

And you run and you run to catch up with the sun but its sinking, Racing around to come up behind you again, the sun is the same in a relative way but your older, shorter of breath and one day closer to death

carpmart

posted on 26/2/08 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
four wheels and a bit of tarmac seems much more appealing (safer) to me!

You only live once - make the most of it!

Radical Clubsport, Kwaker motor
'94 MX5 MK1, 1.8
F10 M5 - 600bhp Daily Hack
Range Rover Sport - Wife's Car
Mercedes A class - Son's Car

Howlor

posted on 26/2/08 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
Just consider how many loose nuts and screws we have all had on the cars! How many snapped wing stays!

Still fancy a copter?!

colt_mivec

posted on 26/2/08 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
If we were meant to fly we'd have wings
nitram38

posted on 26/2/08 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
Can you pat yourself on the head with one hand and rub your stomach in a circular motion with the other?
If not, stay clear of helicopters!

coozer

posted on 26/2/08 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by colt_mivec
If we were meant to fly we'd have wings

Eh??? What sort of a statement is that? If we were meant to drive cars we wouldn't need to take a test/go faster than 4mph/drink petrol/wear rubber

Flyings just as artificial as driving cars.. come on now!

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

MikeRJ

posted on 26/2/08 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
Mark Evans did "A chopper is born" where he built his own helicopter. I wasn't too impressed at the tail rotor drive which was a series of several rubber V belts and pulleys, but the series is well worth a watch.

If you look at the FAA crash records, the number of accidents that self build helis have in the USA is a bit of an eye opener. I like the technical aspect of heli's but I trust a fixed wing plane far more!

triumphdave

posted on 26/2/08 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nitram38
Can you pat yourself on the head with one hand and rub your stomach in a circular motion with the other?
If not, stay clear of helicopters!

If you always do what you have always done you will always get what you have always got

David Jenkins

posted on 26/2/08 at 10:12 PM Reply With Quote
Helicopter - 5,000 spare parts flying in loose formation.

owelly

posted on 26/2/08 at 10:18 PM Reply With Quote
A discusion I often have with the inlaws, who hold private plane licenses, is;
who will stop me if I buy a helichopter off Ebay and fly it? I mean, just drag it out of my shed into my field and go for a fly.
Forgetting the fact that I can't fly but it's not too long ago that I couldn't work the micro wave so how hard can it be to fly a heli? Rambo managed to fly one lastnight FFS!!
The inlaws recon the Aviation Authority would stop me. How?? Where are they? Are they in my field or lurking under my rhubarb? Or the plod? How are they going to know I'm off for a jaunt and even then, how is a Peugeot Partner van going to catch me? If it sits at my field waiting for me, I'll go to another field. There's loads of fields.
I'll be fine in my heli as long as neighbourhood watch don't get involved or those other jumped-up cretinous Community Support Officer efforts.
Who's coming for a spin??

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bigrich

posted on 26/2/08 at 10:22 PM Reply With Quote
it was a rotorway that he built on a chopper is born

http://www.rotorway.com/gallery/build/index.htm

quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
Mark Evans did "A chopper is born" where he built his own helicopter. I wasn't too impressed at the tail rotor drive which was a series of several rubber V belts and pulleys, but the series is well worth a watch.

If you look at the FAA crash records, the number of accidents that self build helis have in the USA is a bit of an eye opener. I like the technical aspect of heli's but I trust a fixed wing plane far more!

A pint for the gent and a white wine/fruit based drink for the lady. Those are the rules

russbost

posted on 26/2/08 at 10:25 PM Reply With Quote
I reckon the undertaker would get you b4 the plod!

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
kilvil

posted on 26/2/08 at 10:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by owelly
A discusion I often have with the inlaws, who hold private plane licenses, is;
who will stop me if I buy a helichopter off Ebay and fly it? I mean, just drag it out of my shed into my field and go for a fly.
Forgetting the fact that I can't fly but it's not too long ago that I couldn't work the micro wave so how hard can it be to fly a heli? Rambo managed to fly one lastnight FFS!!
The inlaws recon the Aviation Authority would stop me. How?? Where are they? Are they in my field or lurking under my rhubarb? Or the plod? How are they going to know I'm off for a jaunt and even then, how is a Peugeot Partner van going to catch me? If it sits at my field waiting for me, I'll go to another field. There's loads of fields.
I'll be fine in my heli as long as neighbourhood watch don't get involved or those other jumped-up cretinous Community Support Officer efforts.
Who's coming for a spin??

how many on here drove there locost on the road before getting it sva
kilvil

mark chandler

posted on 26/2/08 at 11:22 PM Reply With Quote
Helicoptors look a bit scray to me, now those gyro things lot a better bet. I must admit I,m with Owelly here, If I had one I would have to have a go, even if was just fluttering over a local farmers fields, just stay low.....
Simon

posted on 27/2/08 at 12:02 AM Reply With Quote
Some time ago I tried doing calcs to figure out how much helium and so on would be required to lift slightly more than 1/2 my weight, the rest being done with vertical thrust.

I think the "flying car" would have been about twice the size of my garage

I quite like the airscooter (1/2 hr instruction all that's required apparently), and the Gen H-4 helicopter looks a laugh

ATB

Simon

RK

posted on 27/2/08 at 12:29 AM Reply With Quote
I spent several years flying fixed wing airplanes for a living. Private pilots WITH licenses were always considered dangerous. You really have to do it regularly (once a week, I'd say at a minimum) if you want to be current.

Problems likely to be encountered:
a) you don't know what ELSE is up there unless you have a license and know how to work a radio and understand what is going on
b) in an emergency, you can't just pull over
c) you have to understand the forces at work before you try to work against them, which is what you are constantly doing in a helicopter. Imagine trying to balance on top of a beach ball. That's pretty much what it's like. It isn't as easy as it looks. But hey, it looks like so much fun! Just as that rally driver guy (now deceased)!

chunkytfg

posted on 27/2/08 at 02:59 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RK
I spent several years flying fixed wing airplanes for a living. Private pilots WITH licenses were always considered dangerous. You really have to do it regularly (once a week, I'd say at a minimum) if you want to be current.

Problems likely to be encountered:
a) you don't know what ELSE is up there unless you have a license and know how to work a radio and understand what is going on
b) in an emergency, you can't just pull over
c) you have to understand the forces at work before you try to work against them, which is what you are constantly doing in a helicopter. Imagine trying to balance on top of a beach ball. That's pretty much what it's like. It isn't as easy as it looks. But hey, it looks like so much fun! Just as that rally driver guy (now deceased)!

Colin McRae. NOt to mention Steve Hislop

pawgrp

posted on 27/2/08 at 07:13 AM Reply With Quote
Trying to pluck up the courage to put a deposit down on one of these. Helicycle, by Eagle R&D. Sorry but don't know how to do linky thing.
geoff shep

posted on 27/2/08 at 08:09 AM Reply With Quote
Try These!

YouTube1
YouTube2

owelly

posted on 3/3/08 at 10:30 AM Reply With Quote
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mo82pnyMR44

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.