Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Alfa V6 gearbox options
DIY Si

posted on 27/2/08 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
Alfa V6 gearbox options

I know there's a few on here either running or planning to run the Alfa V6. What gearboxes have you looked at and why did you end up using what ever it is you have now? Is there a bell housing off the shelf out there yet? Cheers for any help boys and girls.
Robertf

posted on 27/2/08 at 06:52 PM Reply With Quote
You could try to find an Alfa 6 gearbox, and I think the Alfa 90 also has its gearbox attached to the motor rather than as a transaxle.
bilbo

posted on 27/2/08 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
Johnmor is the guy to talk to. He mated one to a type 9 using the original FWD gearbox's bell housing and a custom adapter plate.
There are some pics in his photo archive.

---------------------------------------

Build Diary: http://bills-locost.blogspot.com/
Web Site: http://locost.atspace.com

DIY Si

posted on 27/2/08 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
I was hoping someone would remind me of the name I was thinking of! Righto, off to his photo archive it is.
jacko

posted on 27/2/08 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
Try Trev Borg he has a v6 alfa
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
owelly

posted on 27/2/08 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
I have an Alfa V6 in my plastic car.
I used a Ford type 9 because I had one in the garage.
I made three bellhousings. One for Trev Borg, one for myself. And one for the tw4t that stole my trailer, cement mixer and type 9 with an Alfa bellhousing bolted to it.....
I few bods asked about buying them so I did a bit of research, made a pattern and asked folks for 80 pound deposit to be followed by the remaining 100 quid when the bellhousings were cast and machined.
Everything went quiet......so I never got any further!!

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
DIY Si

posted on 27/2/08 at 11:08 PM Reply With Quote
HHmmmm. Would you be interested in making 1 for me, or are the three you made just too much work to be worth it to do it again without a full casting run?
Feel free to pm me if you'd rather keep it less open.

owelly

posted on 27/2/08 at 11:20 PM Reply With Quote
I didn't cast them, I just cobbled them.....
A few bits of steel, a welder, grinder, hammer and a few nightshifts.....
I will be making some soon. I just need to build a house first....

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

DIY Si

posted on 27/2/08 at 11:57 PM Reply With Quote
Fair enough, I'm in no rush! I need Gaz to finalise Epona first, as I'm looking at down sizing my garage to 1 car, rather than 3! The red one I saw that I think was yours looked much better than "cobbled" together!
Johnmor

posted on 29/2/08 at 10:14 PM Reply With Quote
I used a conversion plae to adapt the bell housing from a 164.

Works fine, done about 700 miles and no problems, uses the hydraulic clutch from the 164 and a friction plate from a sierra.

DIY Si

posted on 29/2/08 at 10:18 PM Reply With Quote
What mods were required to the alfa part of the bellhousing? Was the plate hard to make, or just a simple bit of milling?
Johnmor

posted on 2/3/08 at 07:12 AM Reply With Quote
Hi
There were no mods to the alfa bell housing apart from chopping of the diff box at the rear, the rest of the bell housing is as it is. The plate was milled from 25mm aluminium and allows the alfa bell housing to simply bolt on to the Type 9 using and the same bolt holes are used to bolt the plate to the bell housing.
There is a.lso a minor mod to the alfa thrust bearing to allow it to sit in the type 9 slide tube, just a new slide tube on the bearing.
A simple phospher bronze bearing is used to support the box shaft in the alfa fly wheel.

A freind of mine with a great little machine shop made the plate but i suppose a engineering company might charge a couple of hundred quid for the work as the milling has to be very accurate to prevent any vibration and the gearbox must be accuratly centred in the bell housing for the primary shaft to run true through to the flywheel.

The bell housing is not as neat as Orwellys solution, but for me it was an easier proposition and as this attaches where the alfa gearbox was mounted it will also work with any alfa engine that used that gearbox so I think any engine used in the 164 could be used.

John

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.