Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: mr2 3sge engine
piggy1600cvh

posted on 28/2/08 at 01:04 PM Reply With Quote
mr2 3sge engine

hi all, i know im jumping the gun abit but iv got to choices, a 1600cvh or a 2000 16v mr2 engine to put in the car, the only problem is the mr2 engine wont fit to the type9 box, were can i get a plate made to fit the two togeather?

thanks
mat.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mr Whippy

posted on 28/2/08 at 01:12 PM Reply With Quote
The modern engine is in a totally different league, power wise to that old lump, it really is calk and cheese. The only good point about the 1600 is its simplicity.

[Edited on 28/2/08 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
SPYDER

posted on 28/2/08 at 01:32 PM Reply With Quote
Hi there. Having fitted a 3SGE to a kit car in RWD format I can offer the following advice.
Unless you are very determined and have access to machining and fabrication facilities its probably best to avoid the Toyota option.
There is a gearbox that will mate directly, of course, that being the 6 speed unit from the LEXUS Altezza.( the import version of the IS200). Very rare, very expensive.
My original plan was to use a Toyota T50 gearbox (which I already had) in conjunction with a suitable bell housing I had sourced from New Zealand of all places. When this plan fell apart I set about modifying my existing bell housing which had been mated to a T series engine, not an S series.
This involves repositionong of bolt holes and dowels. Then the flwheel wouldn't go inside, so I machined out the insides a bit.
Then the input shaft didn't reach the end of the crank, so I machined 5mm off the end of the bell housing.
Not forgetting that you have to fit a bearing in the end of the crank.
Then you have to source a clutch plate to suit an S series cover and a T series input shaft.
Then modify the thrust bearing carrier.
Then the starter motor needs an adaptor.
And we haven't got to the cooling system and exhaust yet!
If this doesn't put you off why not come and see for yourself? I'm not far from Retford.
The end result was, of course, worth it in the end. It runs on SOLEX carbs and Megasquirt coil on plug ignition.
I personally wouldn't go for the Ford option either.
How about the BMW 318is motor? The gearbox is very compact. 138 hp and 16V for a few hundred quid. Geoff

AlphaX

posted on 28/2/08 at 05:12 PM Reply With Quote
Its a heavy engine too!
rusty nuts

posted on 28/2/08 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
Does the 3SGE use the same bellhousing bolt pattern as the 4AGE? If so the Raw engineering are the people to speak to about a bell housing to fit a Ford type 9 gearbox
MikeRJ

posted on 28/2/08 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
Does the 3SGE use the same bellhousing bolt pattern as the 4AGE?

Unfortunately not.

thomas4age

posted on 28/2/08 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
come on people it's not black magic to join a box and an engine.

you can use the T9 box with an adaptorplate, it's done before.

you can also use a T50 with a different Leitch or fraser bellhousing.

I've also seen 3sgte's mounted on Nissan 200sx boxes (also toy-denso desing)

You can get the IS200 box for decent money, (not so rare as pointed out) mind you it's a hyper modern 6 speed, so sure it'll cost a lot more than the everage t9

the 3sge is a very nice engine to have.
if it's the turbo you're after you can also loo up an nissan 200sx drive line and have a CA18DET 1.8L 16v Mivec turbo engine..... cheap plentyfull and strong and well tunable.

Grtz Thomas

If Lucas made guns, Wars wouldn't start either.

COREdevelopments

posted on 28/2/08 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
agree with thomas on this one, if you really want it go for it. or use a 16v or 20v 4age, lighter and alot easier to fit.

Anyone thought about a 3zz-ge? its the latest corolla/celica tsport 189bhp vvtli lump, it revs like bike past 6k!! they are in the later elises too!

Rob

triumphdave

posted on 28/2/08 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
If you go with the CVH option I have a nice set of bike carbs on a pukker stainless manifold all jetted and spaced ready to go,come to think of it I have an engine as well with solid lifters etc.

If you always do what you have always done you will always get what you have always got

flak monkey

posted on 28/2/08 at 10:27 PM Reply With Quote
Use a 4A-GE.

They are rediculously light, small and rev to 8k no bother. 124bhp standard. Bolt on a set of carbs and change the cams and you are laughing.

There are 2 generations of 4A-GE engine. A blue top and a red top (the 16v lettering colour gives it away). The blue ones are the earlier engines, which have a lighter bottom end, and so rev much more freely than the later engines. The early engine also has larger ports in the head so is ideal for tuning purposes.

There is also the fact that if you connect an early ECU up to a later engine you will get some more power. The earlier ECU has more aggressive fuelling. Mind you this will only work on the standard intake system of course...

All of that, plus all the bits are easily available to fit them in a sevenesque car

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

bimbleuk

posted on 29/2/08 at 08:07 AM Reply With Quote
16Vs are becoming harder to find decent examples so the 20V is really a better option though initially it looks more expensive. You do get the factory throttle bodies and 145BHP in the silvertop and 160BHP in the blacktop.

Pains me to say but the 2ZZ-GE has some fundamental issues which means I would rather go with a honda K20A (I'm a long term Toyota fan).

The ultimate 3SGE is the late generation blacktop BEAMS twin VVTi engine from the Lexus IS200/Toyota Altezza which comes with 210BHP as standard but its fairly complicated with the twin variable cams! I'd like to see someone fully map that on a Megasquirt ECU.

Whcih doesn't help you at all with your original question so I'll shut up now

thomas4age

posted on 29/2/08 at 12:18 PM Reply With Quote
278 hp on a motec justin.

I have a 4age Gen 1 40mm cranck bigport standing here which you can have for free, but it needs new bearings all round. it's in holland though.

when you have a gen 1 from and mr2 and a t50 from a ae86 box the fit is easy, but you need a later version flywheel and clutch to mount the 2 together

by all means go for the 3sge if you can have one for cheap.

grtz Thomas

If Lucas made guns, Wars wouldn't start either.

nz_climber

posted on 29/2/08 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
The 3sge is a good engine, they mate upto W5* series and T50 gearboxes with various toyota bell housings.. check out

toyspeed
there is a ton of topics on that site with relation to 3sge to rwd (it gets done all the time) really useful - just use the search

6 speed will need the bell housing modified as the input shaft is shorter..

I would go for the toyota engine anyday, but living in New Zealand they are more common and so many parts, so that would be a major deciding factor

I have the latest generation beams 3sge dual vvti from the altezza/lexus with 6 speed box going into my car this year, will be using standard computer and loom to run it all.

piggy1600cvh

posted on 2/3/08 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
thanks alot, i was just wondering thats all because iv got a 3sge n/a engine i can use, iv come up with a better ider, a saab turbo lump on the vaux omega gear box,

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.