Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: emulsion
macdave69

posted on 29/2/08 at 01:43 AM Reply With Quote
emulsion

I have inherited a car with a very impressive oil to water gasket failure. The header tank has a lovely coating of oil. Are there any produts out there that I can flush through the water system to remove the oil. I was going to use gunk or something similar. Is this a good idea?
PAUL FISHER

posted on 29/2/08 at 01:53 AM Reply With Quote
After I did a head gasket on a mates car,we had the same problem,bought some Wynnes rad flush from the motor factors,only about £3/£4,did a great job,you sometimes have to be carefull what you flush with,so as to not perish hoses etc
skodaman

posted on 29/2/08 at 02:29 AM Reply With Quote
thought you were talking about chassis paint then.

Skodaman

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mr Whippy

posted on 29/2/08 at 03:00 AM Reply With Quote
you will also need to do a couple of good oil flushes with 'engine flush' to get the emulsion out from inside the oil passage ways or it will harden and start restricting. Just use cheepo oil until the last change.

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
macdave69

posted on 29/2/08 at 04:25 AM Reply With Quote
Yep the engine flush was on the cards anyway but I have never seen so much oil in an expansion tank. I'll check out the Wynns flush.
Thanks for the info

NigeEss

posted on 29/2/08 at 08:05 AM Reply With Quote
Pop some dishwasher powder in and run the engine for a while, flush and repeat.

Sounds daft but works reasonably well as it doesn't foam much.

Mr Whippy

posted on 29/2/08 at 08:38 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NigeEss

I'd give that a 100% chance of completely breaking up the oil and seizing the engine

Reminds me of one Myth busters experiment where the only thing that managed to wreak an engine was the detergent in the oil.

TGR-ECOSSE

posted on 29/2/08 at 09:14 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
quote:
Originally posted by NigeEss

I'd give that a 100% chance of completely breaking up the oil and seizing the engine

Reminds me of one Myth busters experiment where the only thing that managed to wreak an engine was the detergent in the oil.

I think he means in the water system Mr Whippy I hope he means in the water system

Mr Whippy

posted on 29/2/08 at 10:22 AM Reply With Quote
oh yeah good point, sorry one track mind..

rusty nuts

posted on 29/2/08 at 05:56 PM Reply With Quote
Used the dishwasher powder years ago on a "K" series engine that had filled the cooling system with oil. Steam cleaned the inside of the block with the head off , steam cleaned inside the hoses and the heater system , got the engine running and still had loads of oil in cooling system . Tried flushing without great success including fuel systemcleane as recommended by Wynns rep . In the end I put some dishwasher powder in the coolant , left the engine running for an hour or so then drained system , flushed out with hose. Result!
macdave69

posted on 29/2/08 at 09:55 PM Reply With Quote
Aren't K series fun,
However I have been given it for nowt and it does have posh wheels, posh exhaust, t bar roof and isn't in the slightest bit rusty,

adithorp

posted on 29/2/08 at 10:14 PM Reply With Quote
Try and get some Forte Bio-Degreaser. Its not cheap but will save hours of flushing. Absolutly brilliant stuff. Only problem is they only supply garages and not motor factors.

Ask around you local independant garages and if that doesn't work u2u me and I'll send you a couple of bottles.

adrian

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.