Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: zetec on 45s?
2b_pablo

posted on 29/2/08 at 04:02 PM Reply With Quote
zetec on 45s?

anyone any idea of the expected power of a 2L zetec on twin 45s?

cheers

-----------------

if it aint broke... pull it off and upgrade it!

Tiger Super Six

posted on 29/2/08 at 04:04 PM Reply With Quote
Should be max 165bhp.

Mark

Tiger Avon

coozer

posted on 29/2/08 at 04:06 PM Reply With Quote
Why 45's? Already got some...

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

2b_pablo

posted on 29/2/08 at 04:08 PM Reply With Quote
exactly

165 hmmm thats not too sporty

could you get more with cams etc?

-----------------

britishtrident

posted on 29/2/08 at 04:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 2b_pablo
exactly

165 hmmm thats not too sporty

could you get more with cams etc?

Look at it this way about 100 too much for an RH chassis to handle safely.

bob tatt

posted on 29/2/08 at 05:14 PM Reply With Quote
i got 175 out of a 2l with 45s on properly set up it was a really sweet engine with loads of torque make sure you get them set right or you end up with a huge flat spot at about 2500 revs thats how mine ended up at the roling road drove me crazy an hour with a man in the know and it was sorted.
derby allen

posted on 29/2/08 at 05:19 PM Reply With Quote
Quote: Look at it this way about 100 too much for an RH chassis to handle safely.
Bit nasty that comment, First car i built was a RH with a 2.1 pinto on 45's after spending a small fortune on the engine i got this up to nearly 170BHP, a standard 2ltr Zetec on 45's will give 165Max if setup correct, i.e carbs setup, mapping correct and a good rolling road session, if money is no object then with better cams and a lot of headwork, good exhaust system, etc etc etc then +200 can be obtained, I run the 1.8 Zetec with the 130 cams on 45's and it just gets to 155BHP which is more than enough for me in a little Westfield.
what model RH do you have, If the 2B variety with the heavy tube frame then why not go VX Redtop, more power output as standard and the chassis on the 2B will handle it, if however the RH is the earlier Stainless mono jobby then my opinion would be to stick with less power due to the body flex, (i've built two of these in the past) hope this helps Steve

Paul TigerB6

posted on 29/2/08 at 05:20 PM Reply With Quote
I had 173bhp from mine running on 45 DHLA Dellorto's with 36mm chokes. Not too sporty?? Was pretty quick as far as i was concerned!! Still - a 197bhp car was nice on a set of Piper cams when i test drove it.
2b_pablo

posted on 29/2/08 at 05:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by derby allen
Quote: Look at it this way about 100 too much for an RH chassis to handle safely.
Bit nasty that comment, First car i built was a RH with a 2.1 pinto on 45's after spending a small fortune on the engine i got this up to nearly 170BHP, a standard 2ltr Zetec on 45's will give 165Max if setup correct, i.e carbs setup, mapping correct and a good rolling road session, if money is no object then with better cams and a lot of headwork, good exhaust system, etc etc etc then +200 can be obtained, I run the 1.8 Zetec with the 130 cams on 45's and it just gets to 155BHP which is more than enough for me in a little Westfield.
what model RH do you have, If the 2B variety with the heavy tube frame then why not go VX Redtop, more power output as standard and the chassis on the 2B will handle it, if however the RH is the earlier Stainless mono jobby then my opinion would be to stick with less power due to the body flex, (i've built two of these in the past) hope this helps Steve

yeah its the mono job! I could strengthen it up but that would kind of defeat the purpose of the extra power

just looking at a cheap power upgrade from the pinto, XE is a bit more work and cost and just not worth it on this chassis.

-----------------

Paul TigerB6

posted on 29/2/08 at 06:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
yeah its the mono job! I could strengthen it up but that would kind of defeat the purpose of the extra power

just looking at a cheap power upgrade from the pinto, XE is a bit more work and cost and just not worth it on this chassis.

By the time you fit a Zetec (which are very cheap) and sort out the exhaust, management, sump, inlet manifold, flywheel / clutch etc etc it might not be so cheap. What spec is your Pinto?? Not worth trawling the classifieds, here and fleabay for a better spec'd Pinto or do your own (especially if you have a 205 block)

[Edited on 29/2/08 by Paul TigerB6]

britishtrident

posted on 29/2/08 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote
All RH should be taken off the road they are a danger to other road users.
2b_pablo

posted on 29/2/08 at 09:02 PM Reply With Quote
good for you....

-----------------

contaminated

posted on 29/2/08 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
I have a 2.0l zetec with some raceline bits that is about 165 bhp. Due for tune, but even now it kept up with the best that a recent Pistonheads run had to offer. At least until one of my cycle wings detached!
DarrenW

posted on 29/2/08 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
All RH should be taken off the road they are a danger to other road users.

Sod off BT - there will be far many other cars that represent more of a danger than RH's. 2B's happens to be a rather well built example. I usually enjoy and respect your posts but this is way OTT. What LSIS do you have?
A RH wouldnt be on my shortlist and have bed press due to numpties loving the budget but not the skill to do one justice but im sure there are loads that are well built indeed.

Ref sporty Zetec - my pinto is only 120bhp at back wheels and puts a smile on my face. 165bhp ould be positively spritely. Problem is your 2.1 probs isnt far off already, however isnt the Zetec lighter and have potential for more power?? Coozer is putting together a 1.8 turbo lump and is expectant of a bit more power for notta lotta cash.

[Edited on 29/2/08 by DarrenW]

2b_pablo

posted on 29/2/08 at 10:01 PM Reply With Quote
aye my pinto is fairly sporty (getting setup on the 45s at the minute) but I know Ill want more.

I think 200bhp is my ideal goal

-----------------

DarrenW

posted on 29/2/08 at 10:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
aye my pinto is fairly sporty (getting setup on the 45s at the minute) but I know Ill want more.

I think 200bhp is my ideal goal

Nowt wrong with that. Go for it. Try a U2U to AndyD and quiz him on the spec of Pete's Westie. Im sure that has around 200bhp on carbs.

2b_pablo

posted on 29/2/08 at 10:22 PM Reply With Quote
Id put the money into management (griffin or emerald or something) if I thought there were bigger gains to running carbs but if I have them already and they work well no point in binning them.

sure we will see how the pinto performs. was pretty limp before on the 40s so hopefully the 45s will being a bit of extra life to them

-----------------

DarrenW

posted on 29/2/08 at 10:46 PM Reply With Quote
Have you looked at the dunnel website? Thats what Pete has. Im sure similar gains can be had for less money.

Paul TigerB6

posted on 1/3/08 at 07:38 AM Reply With Quote
I'm not going into anything about whether a RH is suitable for 200bhp as I havent a clue but if 200bhp is your aim then why not consider a Duratec?? They give pretty much that sort of power without any internal mods and so must be worth considering when you do your sums. The exhaust exits on the same side as the Pinto too so that may help.

Chester Sportscars had a Tiger Supercat with one in running on a Webcon injection kit and the standard exhaust manifold and that was quoted at 203bhp. Not sure on what mods are required to get the engine to fit but it might be more cost effective that fitting a Zetec and then forking out for a ported head and cams to get yourself 200bhp. The Duratec is lighter than the Zetec being alloy - i dont think a Zetec is significantly lighter than a Pinto - maybe 15 or 20kg??

Some pics of the engine install here

This might be useful for anyone looking at a Duratec install

[Edited on 1/3/08 by Paul TigerB6]

2b_pablo

posted on 1/3/08 at 08:05 AM Reply With Quote
the chassis should be fine btw, few examples running v6s in excess of 200bhp

its also been on the road for 8 years odds so far so cant be that bad

BT - here is a present for you, come back when the painters are gone

-----------------

britishtrident

posted on 1/3/08 at 02:57 PM Reply With Quote
Pleanty of Robin Hood owners clubs around,

Every model of Robin Hood I have looked at since the original Triumph 1500 based car has had a really serious design defect usually connected with the front suspension. The 2b front suspension in its original form was particularly bad.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.