Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: mini wiper motor won't park!
caber

posted on 2/3/08 at 11:37 PM Reply With Quote
mini wiper motor won't park!

Pretty much what it says. I have now fitted wipers and wired up to the sierra column switch but they won't self park. Anyone know what should be connected to the self park wire on the mini wiper motor to get them to park? I tried ground and live neither worked, the Sierra switch seems to connect self park to the fast motor lead, that didn't work either! I am already SVA'd but will need to pass an MOT in 3 years do I need to have them self parking? if not it is not that important!

Also can't get Sierra switch to run wipers with washers should it do this? ATM I don't have an intermittent wiper relay does this have anything to do with self park? If so where can I get one!

TIA

Caber

Dave Castle

posted on 2/3/08 at 11:45 PM Reply With Quote
it probaly needs a new park switch on the
motor about a tenner
Dave

Dusty

posted on 3/3/08 at 02:22 AM Reply With Quote
The sierra column switch in the park position connects the 'park' lead to the slow motor terminal. All you need (beyond a working park switch) is to introduce some volts to travel this circuit from the park switch and that is done with either a switched live or constant live (you choose)to terminal 4 on the motor plug Rescued attachment Explainpark.jpg
Rescued attachment Explainpark.jpg

caber

posted on 3/3/08 at 08:27 AM Reply With Quote
Dusty, Thanks or the excellent diagram. That is how i started wiring it up but this didn't work. I guess the problem is probably with the park switch in the motor, that'll teach me to buy cheap second hand parts off ebay

Caber

TGR-ECOSSE

posted on 3/3/08 at 09:35 AM Reply With Quote
We have got a couple of Minis breaking soon i could check out the wiper motors if you need one.
Cheers
Ronnie

richard

posted on 3/3/08 at 06:06 PM Reply With Quote
I managed to test my motor out on a bench to make sure the switch was all okay after I replaced it.I did find that with my car running it would not park, presumably due to extra current flow and had to get mate at work to design a resistor to fit in the supply circuit. I also tried to fit an intermittant wiper relay to it but could not get that to work so wired the position for this to the slow speed as well so it will not stop if placed in this position. This is not the reason yours will not park.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
dave r

posted on 3/3/08 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
sometimes they wear a bit
you can shim out the main wheel so its closer to the switch and it will work again

dave

MikeRJ

posted on 3/3/08 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
The park switches on mini wipers motors always fail, I think I had to replace it in every mini I have ever owned (5!).
rusty nuts

posted on 3/3/08 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dave r
sometimes they wear a bit
you can shim out the main wheel so its closer to the switch and it will work again

dave

Old pushbutton radios used a shim behind the retaining nuts that fitted a treat, very rarely ever needed a new parking switch.

jimgiblett

posted on 3/3/08 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
Just out of interest. Is there a readily available SVA friendly alternative to the Mini (lucas) wiper system that uses a single drive tube and wheelboxes?

- Jim

Bob C

posted on 3/3/08 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
I just put wipers on mine and can confirm that the mini motor fits exactly to the sierra stalk switches as described in the diagram above with no issues at all. (except mine parked with the wipers up in the air - had to flip over the wheelboxes....)
I also thought about intermittent - but not for long . . . . K.I.S.S. ;^)

caber

posted on 3/3/08 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
OK it seems these are a common part available on ebay for many different pricescheapestto most expensive! Do you think there is any rea difference?

Caber

Steve @ sVc

posted on 5/3/08 at 03:53 PM Reply With Quote
Caber

WIPER PARK SWITCH 14W
£7.50 each + £2.50 P&P

regards
steve @ svc

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Antnicuk

posted on 5/8/08 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
Some usefull info here,

I'm getting there with the wiring but i have a slight problem. I have wired the wipers in using the sierra steering column switches and a mini wiper motor via a Carlooms robinhood wiring loom. For some reason the wipers work with the ignition off?

also if i pull the lever to operate what would be the rear window washer the fuse for the wipers blow. I have rechecked all the column switch wiring several times now and I have tried a second set of switches and they do the same. It seems that if i pull the lever forward with the lights on it switches the dip beam relay off and blows the fuse. It seems to be putting power to the black and grey wire going from the relay to the switch, the earth switch for the relay i think? Do you have any ideas?

600 BHP per ton, Stylus Brought back from the dead! Turbo Rotary Powered!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.