Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Self-Balers?
John Bonnett

posted on 4/3/08 at 03:37 PM Reply With Quote
Self-Balers?

I had a fantastic drive in the Phoenix yesterday through snow, hail and driving rain. The pain when hit in the face by hail as I am sure many of you know is excruciating . The pain aside, it was a good drive and a searching test for the car. It handled well in the wet and the Toyos coped with standing water without a hint of aquaplaning. So, all in all very good.

However, when I checked the car over afterwards, I noted that we had an inch or so of water swilling about in the bottom. The seat bases were saturated and are still drying out. This wil obviously be an ongoing problem and I have thought of drilling holes in each floor section which will have removable bungs.

Has anybody got any better ideas to cope with the water. Not going out in the wet is not an option!

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

John

BenB

posted on 4/3/08 at 03:39 PM Reply With Quote
A few holes in the seat bottom works for me.....
tegwin

posted on 4/3/08 at 03:56 PM Reply With Quote
If your worried about water comming in through the holes in the floor you can buy self sealing drain thingies for boats...

They only allow water out and not in...have a little diaphragm (sp?) inside....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

Mr Whippy

posted on 4/3/08 at 04:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tegwin
If your worried about water comming in through the holes in the floor you can buy self sealing drain thingies for boats...

They only allow water out and not in...have a little diaphragm (sp?) inside....

the balers on my dingy seem to require the boat to be moving through the water to work. My beach buggy use to fill up with about an inch of water after heavy rain, quite horrid to drive like that so I drilled several large 20mm holes in the floor, problem solved, certainly no water comes up through them.

[Edited on 4/3/08 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
dhutch

posted on 4/3/08 at 04:32 PM Reply With Quote
Presumably you are familaur with self bailers for boats (from title) ?
- I guess you could fit one, however they solve a problem that you dont have on the car (that your trying to get water out of the bottom of the boat, below the water line) and the non-return flap is usally only fairly poor.

I would just make a pair of smallish holes, 10mm say, and see how that goes.
- If you really find you have problems you could always stick/rivet a deflector/flap over the hole, which would do the same priciple, without looking like a ruddy dingy part. And costing the same amount. Plastic self bailers are about £20, stainless £45+.

Daniel

Humbug

posted on 4/3/08 at 04:35 PM Reply With Quote
drill/cut a couple of holes and use rubber basin plugs?
iank

posted on 4/3/08 at 04:35 PM Reply With Quote
link

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

Mr Whippy

posted on 4/3/08 at 04:45 PM Reply With Quote
or

http://www.tri-1st.co.uk/product_BLU70ENERGIE.htm

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
matt_claydon

posted on 4/3/08 at 04:59 PM Reply With Quote
I've just got 8mm holes in the floor in each corner of each panel, works a trick and never had water come up through them.

You don't need very big holes, you haven't got to cope with a particularly high flow rate even in very heavy rain!

zilspeed

posted on 4/3/08 at 05:36 PM Reply With Quote
What about a saniflo ?

robertwa

posted on 4/3/08 at 05:54 PM Reply With Quote
Just leave a large sponge on the floor behind the seats. Squeeze it out after you have been out in the rain.

Weighs nothing dry and is locost.....

John Bonnett

posted on 4/3/08 at 06:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote: drill/cut a couple of holes and use rubber basin plugs?

No one can accuse Locosters of having no sense of humour. I really like the idea of a sink plug but I think I'll go for matt_claydon's suggestion of 8mm holes in each corner.

Thank you all for your replies. Really appreciated.

John

BenB

posted on 4/3/08 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
Don't forget that if you're running close to the ground you'll have negative pressure under the car and that'll suck the water out of the cockpit and not let water in
snapper

posted on 4/3/08 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
I was thinking of bonnet vents, 1 in each side of the floor at the back facing backwards, negative air pressure should drag any water out

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

adithorp

posted on 4/3/08 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
Have a look around the scrap yard. Check the scrap cars for heater scuttle drain grommets. They let the scuttle drain into the engine bay (insted of into the heater) but have a baffle to stop engine smells getting drawn in.

adrian

posted on 4/3/08 at 11:46 PM Reply With Quote
Hi John

If a slot was cut with a small slit disc, then a half moon tool inserted (half round file shape) you could create a half round louver facing backwards.

I've seen something like this in U section chassis members in tin tops.

atb

Paul G

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.