Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Peugeot BE1/3 gearbox - hydraulic clutch?
nick205

posted on 5/3/08 at 09:48 AM Reply With Quote
Peugeot BE1/3 gearbox - hydraulic clutch?

I must admit to a hole in my knowledge of Pug 205 related mechanics

Does anyone know if the BE1 and/or BE3 gearboxes as fitted to Pug 205/309/405 etc. can be fitted with a hydraulic clutch set-up?

Did any of the cars (405 maybe?) have a factory hydraulic set-up?

Alternatively, are there "universal" kits which could be adapted to the gearbox/clutch?

My brother in-law had to retire his 205 from a tarmac rally last weekend with a snapped clutch cable. We're hoping to change to a hydraulic set-up to improve the clutch feel and reliability of the car.

Cheers
Nick

Jubal

posted on 5/3/08 at 10:49 AM Reply With Quote
If you get no joy here then 205gtidrivers is the place to ask this question. They were the fount of all knowledge when I was keeping my Mi16 on the road.
awinter

posted on 5/3/08 at 03:53 PM Reply With Quote
late 309's had the hydraulic clutch, never had a clutch cable snap in 6 years ownership of 2 309's. just bad luck. Hydraulic clutch much more complicated, I'd stick with the cable, very easy to replace from knowing how they connect and the amount of times I replaced engines in one of the 309's. As long as the release bearing is good as this makes a huge difference to the weight of the clutch pedal. Also replacing the friction plate with a new one makes a difference as the splines wear which can effect the clutch feel.

Ta

Allan

nick205

posted on 5/3/08 at 04:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by awinter
late 309's had the hydraulic clutch, never had a clutch cable snap in 6 years ownership of 2 309's. just bad luck. Hydraulic clutch much more complicated, I'd stick with the cable, very easy to replace from knowing how they connect and the amount of times I replaced engines in one of the 309's. As long as the release bearing is good as this makes a huge difference to the weight of the clutch pedal. Also replacing the friction plate with a new one makes a difference as the splines wear which can effect the clutch feel.

Ta

Allan

Good info - cheers!

britishtrident

posted on 5/3/08 at 05:26 PM Reply With Quote
Might be possible Rover 45 parts could be used they used various Pug gearboxes on some models (not 25/200 as they have a cable clutch)

[Edited on 5/3/08 by britishtrident]

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.