Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Damn VW Sharan gearbox - AGAIN!! Pt II
donut

posted on 22/3/08 at 11:15 AM Reply With Quote
Damn VW Sharan gearbox - AGAIN!! Pt II

From previous thread yes oil levels checked and ok because VW's use a litre of oil every 1,000 miles or so as part of the lubrication process. The special gearbox oil i would assume would be ok after 9 months!! Also (Bob) Gbox looked new and has a sticker on it but there's no way of knowing for sure. You just have to trust the VW garage!?!?!

Anyhoo, went to VW today and took a tech guy out and the car was almost flawless....typical. He plugged his diagnosis gizmo in and came up with no fault found...again bloody typical. I wish he had been there yesterday while we were sitting there with no drive.

So they won't lend us a car for the hols and we are stuck with either hiring a car or risking taking ours.

What would you do?

[Edited on 22/3/08 by donut]

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
rusty nuts

posted on 22/3/08 at 11:28 AM Reply With Quote
Take it to Scotland, that way the gearbox will get a good test. Road test a KIa ! You may be pleasantly suprised.
ruskino80

posted on 22/3/08 at 11:31 AM Reply With Quote
i think i would take it -at least if it does let you down you are ready for it,and rather than a niggly little fault maybe it will let go big time-which would probably suit you better as it is still guarenteed.i can see a little fault reoccuring past your warranty date
theconrodkid

posted on 22/3/08 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
From previous thread yes oil levels checked and ok because VW's use a litre of oil every 1,000 miles or so as part of the lubrication process.

who told you that?
they only use oil if they have a leak

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

britishtrident

posted on 22/3/08 at 12:21 PM Reply With Quote
Gearbox should really not need topped up until the fluid is due for drain and refill, according to MG-Rover info new replacement gearboxes are shipped from Japan pre-filled with oil.

Even slight over filling apparently causes lots of problems.

[Edited on 22/3/08 by britishtrident]

donut

posted on 22/3/08 at 12:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by theconrodkid
From previous thread yes oil levels checked and ok because VW's use a litre of oil every 1,000 miles or so as part of the lubrication process.

who told you that?
they only use oil if they have a leak
Who told me.... VW and plenty of VW owners!!

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ed_crouch

posted on 22/3/08 at 01:26 PM Reply With Quote
gearbox using a litre per 1000 miles?!?

IMHO...

Thats utter crap.

So, how much oil does the Gbox take, and how many miles is it between services??

At 1 litre lost per 1000 miles, how long would the gearbox be running dry for before a service is due?!?

Not having a go at you: just think that the people that tld you this is normal are wrong!

Ed.

[Edited on 22/3/08 by ed_crouch]

I-iii-iii-iii-ts ME!

Hurrah.

www.wings-and-wheels.net

welshboy

posted on 22/3/08 at 01:48 PM Reply With Quote
i second that ed if the gearbox is using that much oil per 1000 miles my gearbox would be empty in about 3 weeks it cant be right ! can it ?
donut

posted on 22/3/08 at 01:57 PM Reply With Quote
No!! the engine uses a litre of oil, not the gearbox!! Sorry if i miss explained

Andy

bob

posted on 22/3/08 at 03:37 PM Reply With Quote
It just gets worst doesnt it,i am just glad i never venture into these forums for daily drivers.

andy how many cars have you built ?

NS Dev

posted on 22/3/08 at 04:01 PM Reply With Quote
mate of mine had a vw beetle (as in the new one not air cooled!!)

That used a litre of engine oil every thousand miles, and YEP, VW said it was NORMAL USE.

I said crap and so did he, but they didn;t want to know. Chopped the car in to the dealer that said it was ok!

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

donut

posted on 22/3/08 at 04:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bob
It just gets worst doesnt it,i am just glad i never venture into these forums for daily drivers.

andy how many cars have you built ?
3 why?

Andy

theconrodkid

posted on 22/3/08 at 05:36 PM Reply With Quote
even my starship milage shed dosnt use that amount of oil

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

wax-it

posted on 22/3/08 at 06:24 PM Reply With Quote
Skoda VRs, used 1 litre in the FIRST 1,000 miles, nothing after that.

BUT Skoda, SEAT, VW all say same thing about the 1,000 mile issue.

bigrich

posted on 22/3/08 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
pretty standard for some manufacturers, When i worked foVauxhall they would'nt look into oil consumption issues untill it was worse than 1000 miles per litre and then only after an oil consuption check by the dealer

[Edited on 22/3/08 by bigrich]

A pint for the gent and a white wine/fruit based drink for the lady. Those are the rules

Simon

posted on 22/3/08 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hicost
Keep away from french stuff, I would go Merc.

James

I wouldn't touch german - couple of guys in units near us; one does Audi/VW, t'other Merc/BMW.

Glad I bought a French Renault Espace, to replace my Englishish MG (especially as RFL on it was to be £400+ next year).

ATB

Simon

rusty nuts

posted on 22/3/08 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
My Citroen XM 2.1TD with 240,000 plus on the clock still doesn't use oil . I have never had to top up between oil changes VW were fined millions in the states way back in the late seventies because of excessive oil consumption. If only everything in life was a reliable as a Volkswagen!
gazza285

posted on 22/3/08 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
I've stopped checking the oil in my 176,000 Berlingo, never moves on the dipstick at all. My T4 Transporter cracked its head at 72,000, could not find a replacement in the breakers as they all had the same problem! Levered in a 2.1 turbo diesel from a Citroen XM funnily enough, sold it to a bloke in Lithuania on eBay.

DO NOT PUT ON KNOB OR BOLLOCKS!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.