Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Carb Inlet - Cooling Via Exhaust Wrap
wax-it

posted on 23/3/08 at 01:03 PM Reply With Quote
Carb Inlet - Cooling Via Exhaust Wrap

Is their a benifit to using exhaust wrap on the carb inlet?

The inlet will be "flowed" to a small extent, then painted with h-temp paint, but will I get a benifit from using the exhaust wrap?

takumi

posted on 23/3/08 at 01:25 PM Reply With Quote
I would say most of the inlet manifold temperature increase is conduction from the head.

You can get thermally insulating gaskets that help reduce heat transfer to inlet manifold.. other than that there's very little you can do easily.

Reducing under bonnet temperatures generally is a good thing, having good vents in the right places, wrapped exhaust within the engine bay..

More practical approach would be a good cold air feed into your intakes, and run your engine at a slightly lower temperature than you would normally..i.e reduce operating temp/remove your thermostat..

You could do some simple tests. Let it idle for say 20mins, measure the temp of the manifold runners..

Then make some changes to the running temp, and see if that feeds back to a slightly cooler inlet manifold...? who knows sounds like fun..

[Edited on 23-3-08 by takumi]

RobinHood 2B 2.0i pinto, Keihin 38mm Carbs, lightened flywheel, O'Mori remote filter kit, 10 row oil cooler. Modified head, 10.2cr, special valves FR22 cam, 4- 1 header.

takumi

posted on 23/3/08 at 01:27 PM Reply With Quote
any changes, i suspect will be negligible in real world situations.

a thermal gasket might be the exception..

RobinHood 2B 2.0i pinto, Keihin 38mm Carbs, lightened flywheel, O'Mori remote filter kit, 10 row oil cooler. Modified head, 10.2cr, special valves FR22 cam, 4- 1 header.

wax-it

posted on 23/3/08 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
ok, so its a slight maybe if done right, however would it also help in stopping the inlet/carb freezing?

have seen "condensation" on inlets due to cold weather.

DIY Si

posted on 23/3/08 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
The inlet freezing is generally not because of the weather. The cold merely exaggerates the existing situation. The inlet is cold/freezing due to the air/fuel mix going through it and then cooling the inlet walls down. This can then be enough to freeze the water in the air. I have had ice on the outside of the black painted inlet on my mini in the middle of summer before!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.