Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Gas back boiler flame
jacko

posted on 23/3/08 at 01:52 PM Reply With Quote
Gas back boiler flame

Hi the flame on my boiler is a blue / yellow when the pilot is lit but yellow when the boiler is burning is this ok
We keep getting soot out of the gap under the fire front
Jacko

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
rotax78

posted on 23/3/08 at 02:11 PM Reply With Quote
NO, DO NOT USE IT, sounds like poor/incomplete combustion leading to carbon monoxide, don't use it until it has been checked out. What you want is a nice blue flame picture. Remember the bunsen in school nice and crisp and blue until you close the primary air and then it goes floppy and yellow? I'm corgi registered and have lost count of the number of times that i've been to back boilers where the householder has blocked/covered up/wallpapered over air vents in the wall because they were draughty, not noing the importance of such vents, this may not be the cause of your problem but non the less get it checked out, better to be cold for a couple of days than permantly cold six feet under

[Edited on 23/3/08 by rotax78]

bigrich

posted on 23/3/08 at 02:15 PM Reply With Quote
I agree doesnt sound right, would get it checked ASAP. i think yellow flame is caused by poor combustion due to a lack of air/oxygen, the sooty deposits would indicate a problem aswell IMO though I'm not a gas fitter

A pint for the gent and a white wine/fruit based drink for the lady. Those are the rules

jacko

posted on 23/3/08 at 02:18 PM Reply With Quote
OK but we have a carbon monoxide detector [electronic ] and it shows the room is clear
For safety we will get it serviced thanks
Jacko

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
thegasmen

posted on 23/3/08 at 02:27 PM Reply With Quote
boiler problems

Your Boiler Needs servicing

DONT LEAVE IT TOO LONG

and i am a gas man

rotax78

posted on 23/3/08 at 02:29 PM Reply With Quote
I wouldn't trust a £20 detector with my/wifes/kids lives, a bit like smoking in bed when pi***ed hoping the smoke detector will wake you if you fall asleep. I dont want to come across to you that i'm a know all, but please get it checked out
thunderace

posted on 23/3/08 at 03:30 PM Reply With Quote
(should i be saying this)
take out the flame tube and give it a rub down with a wire brush.
watch the guy service it and do it your self only if you know what your doing i worked with the bp for years(with hp gas)and im not corgi but theres not a lot to your boiler to be honest.you need a nice clean blue flame.

thunderace

posted on 23/3/08 at 03:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rotax78
I wouldn't trust a £20 detector with my/wifes/kids lives, a bit like smoking in bed when pi***ed hoping the smoke detector will wake you if you fall asleep. I dont want to come across to you that i'm a know all, but please get it checked out

you dont have a clue about gas!!!!!!!!!!!!!
what would you trust a canary??????
i bet £500 it needs the flame tube wire brushed anyone want to bet??

rotax78

posted on 23/3/08 at 03:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

(should i be saying this)
take out the flame tube and give it a rub down with a wire brush.
watch the guy service it and do it your self only if you know what your doing i worked with the bp for years(with hp gas)and im not corgi but theres not a lot to your boiler to be honest.you need a nice clean blue flame.

quote:

you dont have a clue about gas!!!!!!!!!!!!!
what would you trust a canary??????
i bet £500 it needs the flame tube wire brushed anyone want to bet??

Thunderace, you obviously know so much more than me, after all only been in the business 24 years and corgi reg. for 19 years, I bow to your superior knowledge.

[Edited on 23/3/08 by rotax78]

thunderace

posted on 23/3/08 at 04:03 PM Reply With Quote
i fited gas boilers in the 80s for scotish gas before corgi came out i do know what im talking about.(there very easy to work on )
Ferg

posted on 23/3/08 at 05:30 PM Reply With Quote
So.
Let's see. Certainly incomplete combustion.
Blocked lint filter?
Rust on the burner?
Low burner pressure?
High burner pressure?
Flame impingement?
Blocked air vent in room?
Poor flue draw?

Or just wire brush required.....?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.