Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: honda engines?
quinnj3

posted on 25/3/08 at 10:23 AM Reply With Quote
honda engines?

Hi

I was just chatting to a friend at the weekend about possibly putting a honda H22 Prelude engine into a locost etc. he reckons that it wouldn't work because honda engines rotate in the opposite direction to Ford and VX etc. Is this right? He also mentioned that the timing belt is in the wrong position to fit a kit car. I think he might just be misinformed but it made me realise that there are very few honda engined kit cars. Is this the reason for the lack of honda engined kit cars?

Thanks

my aim is to build my own locost wether it takes me a week or 10 years to get started, i'm sure i will sometime

ruudbeckers

posted on 25/3/08 at 10:33 AM Reply With Quote
The newer Honda engines (K-series) turn in the right direction, but I don't know if an adapterplate is available to attach it to a ford gearbox.

You could also use an S2000 engine together with the s2000 gearbox.

Mr Whippy

posted on 25/3/08 at 10:39 AM Reply With Quote
I'd love to know where this unsuitable timing belt is, the glove box, hiding in the headlining? Such a general statement - 'the wrong position to fit a kit' oh the anticipation

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
quinnj3

posted on 25/3/08 at 11:00 AM Reply With Quote
i have a prelude at home waiting on mot. the engine is very strong, just bad bodywork. Is it possible to fit this in a locost? I was pricing s2000 engine + 'box. It is more than £2500. I'm sure it would cost a lot less to fit a H22a engine. Especially as i already have a great engine available.

What about even using this engine with an s2000 gearbox? Lots of questions I know but all answers appreciated

[Edited on 25/3/08 by quinnj3]

my aim is to build my own locost wether it takes me a week or 10 years to get started, i'm sure i will sometime

nitram38

posted on 25/3/08 at 11:14 AM Reply With Quote
Can't you just flip the diff over if the engine rotates the wrong way?
They do it a lot on scrapheap challenge!

ruudbeckers

posted on 25/3/08 at 11:20 AM Reply With Quote
Well, the S2000 engine turnes in the oposite direction to the prelude engine.
So probably not a very good idea to mate a prelude engine to an s2000 gearbox.

You could however build a mid engined locost with the prelude engine.

Have a look at www.kimini.com, he has build a mid engined mini with a this engine.

02GF74

posted on 25/3/08 at 11:21 AM Reply With Quote
yeah - honda's spin in opposite direction. presumably prelude is FWD and your car will be RWD? hence you need to have either the matching honda RWD gearbox or see if engine spins clockwise when viewed from the front ( timing belt end), if not, you are rather stuck.

MikeRJ

posted on 25/3/08 at 11:23 AM Reply With Quote
The B,D and H series all rotate "backwards" which is why you don't see them used much in front-engine/RWD applications. They would be ok in a mid-engined car though.

Running a diff upside down is a possibility, the diff is unlikely to complain provided you sort out breathers etc. but running a gearbox backwards is more likely to be problematic. For starters the thrust forces from helical gears will all be in the opposite direction to that intended by the designer.

Scrapheap Challenge can get away with this kind of bodgery as the vehicles only have to last a couple of hours.

[Edited on 25/3/08 by MikeRJ]

Fatgadget

posted on 25/3/08 at 11:24 AM Reply With Quote
@nitram If you do that the crown wheel and pinion wont last very long. Helical cut gears are designed to rotate in one direction.

[Edited on 25/3/08 by Fatgadget]

BenB

posted on 25/3/08 at 11:28 AM Reply With Quote
S2000 is a tall engine though. Might have trouble fitting under the bonnet unless you're prepared to have a serious bonnet bulge. Spinning the "wrong" way would also pose a problem...

Flipping the diff (as mentioned) is only a good idea if you're not planning on going far. It'll wear the diff very quickly...

There's nothing wrong with Honda engines (particularly the bike ones )

quinnj3

posted on 25/3/08 at 11:29 AM Reply With Quote
i think there is enough answers there thanks guys. I don't think there is a rwd honda from the early to mid nineties, but correct me if i'm wrong. I'd definately be interested if there was one. other than that i think the prelude will just go through mot and on to a new home.

Mr Whippy

posted on 25/3/08 at 11:41 AM Reply With Quote
I don't see the problem, just turn the seat round

and Mr Bean covered locost remote steering before

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MikeRJ

posted on 25/3/08 at 11:42 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fatgadget
@nitram If you do that the crown wheel and pinion wont last very long. Helical cut gears are designed to rotate in one direction.

That's a good point, I was (incorrectly) considering the case of running a diff upside down with the correct rotation on the input which has been done a few times.

MikeRJ

posted on 25/3/08 at 11:44 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by quinnj3
i think there is enough answers there thanks guys. I don't think there is a rwd honda from the early to mid nineties, but correct me if i'm wrong.

The NSX was RWD, but it was also mid engined so not overly useful in this case.

MikeRJ

posted on 25/3/08 at 11:46 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BenB
S2000 is a tall engine though. Might have trouble fitting under the bonnet unless you're prepared to have a serious bonnet bulge. Spinning the "wrong" way would also pose a problem...

The F20C (S2000) and K20A (Civic Type R) both turn in the conventional direction. They are very tall engines as you say.

quinnj3

posted on 25/3/08 at 11:52 AM Reply With Quote
what about toyota engines what direction do they turn as it may be easier and cheaper to get a rwd toyota gearbox and get a local engineer to fashion an adapter plate.? ps don't like the sound of toyota engines and lack of torque hense mating the 'box to a honda engine.

RK

posted on 25/3/08 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
Toyotas are fine. In fact I have a 22RE from an 84 Celica with a very good, just rebuild gearbox. The motor had 180,000 kms on it, and ran very well when I scrapped it last year. You can have it. All you have to do is come and get it here in Canada...

Hey, I'm just making room!!!

quinnj3

posted on 25/3/08 at 12:15 PM Reply With Quote
yeah i know they are ultra reliable but do toyota engines turn the same direction as a honda engine ie backwards. if they did it may be possible to mate my h22a engine with a corolla rwd 'box. or even better a modern is200 box? maybe

MikeRJ

posted on 25/3/08 at 12:46 PM Reply With Quote
No, Toyota engines turn in the conventional direction. Few if any mainstream manufacturers makes backwards engines other than Honda.
quinnj3

posted on 25/3/08 at 12:51 PM Reply With Quote
ok thats that idea out the window. was just looking peoples opinions anyway. Would be a fine engine if it could be done. Quite torqey and when the vtec kicks in it pulls like a train. even in a heavy car that the prelude is. I'm not fully set on the kit i'm after yet anyway. I don't think ill go for a 7. I'm swaying towards WLR, nice agressive bit of kit. I've seen an omega v6 fitted to a locost before and as this car is based on a locost would be another fine engine to fit to it.

Fatgadget

posted on 25/3/08 at 01:36 PM Reply With Quote
Or commision a camshaft grinder to make you up a new cam ! Its been done before apparently. On Chevrolet Corvair engines used in left hand oval racing.

Dingz

posted on 25/3/08 at 01:42 PM Reply With Quote
General rule of thumb is looking in the engine bay of an east/west fwd. from the front, if the gearbox is on the right, engine rotates the conventional direction. Gearbox on the left rotates the wrong? way. I have a 2.2 Vti too, super motor, very flexible and smooth.
quinnj3

posted on 25/3/08 at 01:57 PM Reply With Quote
yep would be an ideal engine if it could be fitted. I think reprofiling the cams would be more expensive than buying s2000 running gear. Plus the s2000 revs to 9000 rpm standard. Now that would be nice hearing a honda vtec sreaming to be thrashed.

dmac

posted on 25/3/08 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
Has anyone ever used a complete FWD engine/gearbox/diff unit fitted longitudonally with propshafts from the centre diff driving front and rear axles for 4WD?
MikeRJ

posted on 25/3/08 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dmac
Has anyone ever used a complete FWD engine/gearbox/diff unit fitted longitudonally with propshafts from the centre diff driving front and rear axles for 4WD?

Gearing would be unusably low unless you could find a handy source of 1:1 diffs for front and rear.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.