Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Willwood calipers update
ragindave

posted on 25/3/08 at 01:24 PM Reply With Quote
Willwood calipers update

These pictures are of eddies brake problem pads do not cover the disc.
Is it the disc size?
Or is it the adaptor bracket?
Or could it be both?

nitram38

posted on 25/3/08 at 01:32 PM Reply With Quote
Judging by the amount shown overhanging I would say the mounting brackets are wrong.
I asked a similar question on here before because there was a lot of disc showing on the inside of my car, but I was told it was ok .
My pads lined up on the outer edge of my discs (motaleira) but I made them to suit my uprights.

[Edited on 25/3/2008 by nitram38]

bigrich

posted on 25/3/08 at 01:39 PM Reply With Quote
if the discs are standard sierra then i would alter the bracket or the conversion bracket on the hub to bring the caliper more inboard.
I had to do the same on mine although i used smaller diameter discs and squeezed them under 13's
Ignore the washers, i was just using them to get spacer hieghts etc

A pint for the gent and a white wine/fruit based drink for the lady. Those are the rules

eddbaz

posted on 25/3/08 at 02:14 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers dave for posting the photos for me, the willwoods discs nd adaptors where purchased from rally design I was told that I would need a 273mm disc which is what was sent,but the discs have a recess which can be seen in the photos and measuring from this recess to the outer edge is 36mm but the brake pad is around 12mm more so however I position the caliper the pads will wear with a step which I think can't be correct. With the adaptors they sent me the outer edge of the disc sits around 9mm into the pads,if I correct this then the front edge of the pads will overhand the recess.
The front discs and adaptors they send all fitted perfect the outer edge of the disc lined up with the outer edge of the pad and the disc had no recess.
Has anyone else fitted willwood rears to the ford sierra drive,if so what size disc was used (I'm fitting 15" wheels) and was the disc recesed at all and did you use the same adaptor(bk67 stamped on it)
Cheers
Ed.

Dusty

posted on 25/3/08 at 03:13 PM Reply With Quote
Have a chat with Rally Design and point them to these pics. They have always been helpful when I have had problems with any of their kit.
bigrich

posted on 25/3/08 at 03:54 PM Reply With Quote
I'm using fiesta fronts on the rear (after tying with peugeot fronts). I have wilwood front sierra alloy adaptors on modified disc conversion plates with spacers to make up the gaps.
This is my cut down conversion plate

A pint for the gent and a white wine/fruit based drink for the lady. Those are the rules

cloudy

posted on 25/3/08 at 04:58 PM Reply With Quote
Interestingly I had a pair from rally design last month, same mounts and exactly the same problem. I assumed i'd just got the wrong discs....

Let me know how you get on with rally design...

ghostrain

posted on 28/3/08 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
Wilwood brake rear end-BK67

Looks like you are trying to fit this kit to a cosworth wishbone....the cosworth used the same caliper lug length as the standard Sierra but raised the wishbone lugs to accomodate the larger diameter discs-hence the reason why the Wilwood caliper is too high...the solution is to reduce the height of the bracket to lower the caliper to sit on the correct position on the disc ,check that this will not compromise the strength of the bracket...regret that the number of customers fitting this kit to Cosworth wishbones it would be uneconomic to produce a bespoke bracket...hope this helps
PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

eddbaz

posted on 29/3/08 at 05:46 PM Reply With Quote
The above is corrct,I phoned Rally design and it turns out that the adaptor kit is for standard sierra,while my diff, halfshafts hub carriers etc are cosworth. There is no kit available for the cosworth hub carriers so I am going to modify the adaptor block to make it fit,once I've done it I'll post some photos on this trhread in case anyone else goes down this route.Thanks for all the responses and thanks to rally design who were most helpful when I rang.
cloudy

posted on 2/4/08 at 12:42 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the info...

James

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.