Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Waxoyl
jlparsons

posted on 27/3/08 at 11:02 PM Reply With Quote
Waxoyl

Anyone managed to get a waxoyl coat inside their chassis like we used to do with the sills on old bangers? I was thinking you could pour it in, turn the chassis over a couple of times, drain it out, plug the holes up airtight? Have to keep it warm mind.

Worth doing on a 7? Or has anyone? I'm planning to use mine all year round see, so it'll see a fair bit of wet.

Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. Some assembly required. Batteries not included. Contents may settle during shipment. Use only as directed. No other warranty expressed or implied. Do not use while operating a motor vehicle or heavy equipment. Subject to approval, terms and conditions apply. Apply only to affected area. For recreational use only. All models over 18 years of age. No user-serviceable parts inside. Subject to change. As seen on TV. One size fits all. May contain nuts. Slippery when wet. For office use only. Edited for television. Keep cool; process promptly.

nick205

posted on 27/3/08 at 11:09 PM Reply With Quote
I used Waxoyl in an aerosol can with a spry tube to squirt it into each hole drilled in the chasis. Although TBH I would spend more time/effort/money on corrosion protection for the outside of the chasis as that's where the corrosion will take hold.

I used my car all winter and the bit that suffered the most were the front wishbones as they are completely open to the elements and get a good blasting of water/grit/salt etc on every trip.

Mr Whippy

posted on 27/3/08 at 11:14 PM Reply With Quote
to be honest what's the point? if the chassis is welded up and the open tube ends plugged properly, where is the water going to get in. Any moisture that was in the tube would most likey have been evaporated when it was getting welded. No water no rust.

My Falcon is over 12 years old, mild steel ladder chassis, undersealed and painted on the outside only but capped at the ends. When repairing it I shone the torch down the rails, nothing no rust not a spec and I used that car everyday in all weathers.

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jlparsons

posted on 27/3/08 at 11:18 PM Reply With Quote
My worry would be the rivets. The seal can't be that great, especially when the floorpan is flexing about?

Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. Some assembly required. Batteries not included. Contents may settle during shipment. Use only as directed. No other warranty expressed or implied. Do not use while operating a motor vehicle or heavy equipment. Subject to approval, terms and conditions apply. Apply only to affected area. For recreational use only. All models over 18 years of age. No user-serviceable parts inside. Subject to change. As seen on TV. One size fits all. May contain nuts. Slippery when wet. For office use only. Edited for television. Keep cool; process promptly.

nitram38

posted on 27/3/08 at 11:34 PM Reply With Quote
Waxoyl is good, but a liability if you have to do any welding at a later date.
It is basically a parrafin wax and will catch fire easily.
I wouldn't bother with sealed chassis rails.
Using blind rivets will stop most ingress of moisture and if you are really worried, put them in with a dab of silicon sealant.
If you really must put something in, try old engine oil. I have never seen a rusty floorpan on a car with an oil leak!

[Edited on 27/3/2008 by nitram38]

jlparsons

posted on 28/3/08 at 10:49 AM Reply With Quote
actualyl you're right .... and I've got a can of old engine oil I still haven't got around to taking to the tip.

britishtrident

posted on 28/3/08 at 11:13 AM Reply With Quote
Old engine oil contains a lot of nasty corrosive acids, When new engine oil has corrosion inhibitor additives that break down in use and over time.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

designer

posted on 28/3/08 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
When you rivet dip it first in glue to make it watertight.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
BenB

posted on 28/3/08 at 12:15 PM Reply With Quote
Personally I used closed rivets for the floor-pan. Also, one advantage of using sikaflex before rivetting is that it helps the seal between the chassis rail and the floor-pan.

Waxoyl is alright but you have to drill holes in sealed chassis rails to use it (which seams a shame) and it turns your car into an oversize candle if you do welding....

James

posted on 28/3/08 at 01:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by designer
When you rivet dip it first in glue to make it watertight.

Used bath sealant on mine!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

wax-it

posted on 28/3/08 at 04:57 PM Reply With Quote
Use Bilt-Hamber products for anything like this.

You really cant get better imo

MakeEverything

posted on 17/10/08 at 04:14 PM Reply With Quote
I agree, that coating the inside would be a waste of time. That tiny little bit of water through a bolt hole will take years to rust through.

The floorpan wont (shouldnt) flex that much if you have enough rivets or screws in place. Especially if its of the correct guage.
Im not so sure about the nasty corrosive acids in the old engine oil though.... i agree you wouldnt want to wash your hands in it, but it shold be ok if you really wanted to make a mess and have little oil patches all over your bodywork.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

Ninehigh

posted on 20/10/08 at 01:18 PM Reply With Quote
How's about painting it? There are enough waterproof paints out there...

Nick, did you do anything to cover up the wishbones etc? I plan on using mine everyday and wouldn't want them rusting!

DarrenW

posted on 21/10/08 at 10:05 AM Reply With Quote
i didnt waxoyl mine, favoured making the external faces better covered.

As Nick says the wishbones etc are prone to damage and rusting. Mine were powder coated. I have found that the areas where the brackets have a sharp corner are especially prone to rusting first. Id recommend radiussing these before coating as long as rounding them off doesnt compromise strength.

Even when we use our cars all year round they still get far less use than normal cars and tend to be garaged and washed off more often. I doubt internal corrosion will be that much of an issue. Plugging the ends and possibly sealing rivets that are exposed to the elements sounds like good practice to me.

wilkingj

posted on 23/10/08 at 03:01 PM Reply With Quote
Old engine oil:

Dont worry about the corrosive element. When did you last see an old car with a rusting engine bay, and still covered in black oily crap? Never!

I would worry more about the handling of the old oil, the chemicals from the combustion processes are more likley to harm YOU rather thn the car.

Waxoyl is very good. Warm the tin in a bucket of hot (not boiling) water. This will make it flow a bit better.

Do NOT heat over a flame or use any form of naked flame near it. Its highly inflamable.

Hmmm... That reminds me...., warmed Waxoyl in a long nosed Parrafin gun with 60psi behind it give you a flame thrower with about an 8ft range

We Landy Drivers, cut it with about 15% white spirit. It flows better and then sets when the spirit has eventually evaporated off.

Waxoil is a messy process, and also problematic if you need to do some welding on the chassis later.
Put an old tarp or cloth on the floor, to catch the drips. You dont want a slippery garage floor which will be an accident waiting for you to happen upon.

Best to do it outside the garage!!

I blew mine in with a proper wax gun I got from a Show (when I had the Landy)
Excellent stuff really. I swear by it... Frequently!

Just my 2d 's worth.

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

bjohnson

posted on 25/10/08 at 08:25 PM Reply With Quote
Can you not still get that long thin flexible tube with a fan spray end? I used to have one for doing those old bangers.
Ninehigh

posted on 25/10/08 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wilkingj
Do NOT heat over a flame or use any form of naked flame near it. Its highly inflamable.

Does anyone know why inflammable is the same as flammable? And is something that won't catch fire unflammable?

David Jenkins

posted on 25/10/08 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
Every time I hear Waxoyl mentioned, I think of this!

I've read it many times, & it still makes me giggle...

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.