Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Wtd. Fibreglass sheet
jimgiblett

posted on 28/3/08 at 04:12 PM Reply With Quote
Wtd. Fibreglass sheet

I am after some laid up fibleglass sheets 500mm x 300mm x 2-3mm. Anyone know where I might be able to source? I need 3 or 4.

Thanks

Jim

BenB

posted on 28/3/08 at 04:37 PM Reply With Quote
Probably not the answer you want to hear but it's quite easy to DIY if you get a big sheet of melamine / contiboard, some GRP matt and a family size tin of resin....

If you apply the resin well before putting down the first layer you can get a pretty nice finish..... You could even get fancy and put some gel coat in place first...

wax-it

posted on 28/3/08 at 05:04 PM Reply With Quote
get a glass table from ikea, should be right size avaible for about £20 i think, then use panel wipe on it to get rid of any grease etc, wax it a few times then gel coat it.

leave for a few hours then start laying up.

might not be the cheapest way mind (since unless you have all the tools etc thats probably about £50 spent)

jimgiblett

posted on 28/3/08 at 05:17 PM Reply With Quote
These are only for inner wheel arches so dont need to look nice. I just hate fibreglassing and wondered if I could just buy off the shelf.

- Jim

wax-it

posted on 28/3/08 at 05:32 PM Reply With Quote
yup, just ask at your local grp place, they will have sheets of it avaible.

i know up here (manc area) glasplies does it.

BenB

posted on 28/3/08 at 05:32 PM Reply With Quote
Oh yes, if you are going to do a large area like that yourself make sure you've got good ventilation.
I didn't the last time I did a big panel and I had a stonking headache all the next day. I didn't realised how bad the fumes where until the bloke from the garage 10(!) doors down came to check if I'd got ventilation because it was stinking out the entire area!!

Andy B

posted on 28/3/08 at 06:31 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Jim
I have had applied fibreglass do just this, any size and any colour you want, really useful for panelling ducting you name it - give me a bell on 01449 736633 and in the meantime I will find out the prices for you
regards
Andy

viatron

posted on 28/3/08 at 06:55 PM Reply With Quote
Also check out Dorset Fibreglass, he did me a one off sheet and including layup and curing it was on my doorstep in 72 hours

01305 786 000

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jimgiblett

posted on 28/3/08 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
I called Dorset fibreglass and they wanted £50 which I thought was excessive.

- Jim

quote:
Originally posted by viatron
Also check out Dorset Fibreglass, he did me a one off sheet and including layup and curing it was on my doorstep in 72 hours

01305 786 000

jimgiblett

posted on 28/3/08 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
Will call you in the morning.

ps I know Snett was rained off but did you get measurements from Paul for the R1 airbox?

Cheers

- Jim

quote:
Originally posted by Andy B
Hi Jim
I have had applied fibreglass do just this, any size and any colour you want, really useful for panelling ducting you name it - give me a bell on 01449 736633 and in the meantime I will find out the prices for you
regards
Andy

Bob C

posted on 28/3/08 at 10:23 PM Reply With Quote
I get quite a few scrap PCBs at work - these are a handy, though small, piece of high quality poxy fibreglass... (at least the FR4 ones are)

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.