Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 2 Routers
Schrodinger

posted on 29/3/08 at 10:02 PM Reply With Quote
2 Routers

Is it possible to use 2 routers on one telephone line?

Keith
Aviemore

graememk

posted on 29/3/08 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
what are you trying to do ?

blakep82

posted on 29/3/08 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
i would say...... no.

reason is, they'd both (assuming they're router modems) be trying to comunicate with the servers over the same line, a bit like 2 people taking very fast on one phone line to 1 person on the other end

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Pdlewis

posted on 29/3/08 at 10:06 PM Reply With Quote
yes it is you will have to connect them using a cable (if they dont have a repeater feature which most dont) then you set one up to connect as usual to the internet then the other you need to setup the wireless secturity then changes its mode into bridge mode so it no longer has the DCHP server active in the router this will the just pass the requests to the first router to deal with but till extend your wired/wireless range
onzarob

posted on 29/3/08 at 10:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pdlewis
yes it is you will have to connect them using a cable (if they dont have a repeater feature which most dont) then you set one up to connect as usual to the internet then the other you need to setup the wireless secturity then changes its mode into bridge mode so it no longer has the DCHP server active in the router this will the just pass the requests to the first router to deal with but till extend your wired/wireless range

thats two routers on one LAN. You can only connect one router to your phone line or WAN as us techy guys call it

Tell us what you want to achieve and what hardware you have and we will explain what you'll need

JoelP

posted on 29/3/08 at 10:52 PM Reply With Quote
i thought you meant two joinery routers on one line, in which case, you probably could, though it would be awquard with one in each hand, and you risk personal injury. Its quite likely the line would be destroyed too.
SixedUp

posted on 30/3/08 at 12:51 AM Reply With Quote
You can't attach two ADSL modems to a single line at the same time (or at any rate, not with any of the normal kit that I've seen!). Once you've got a network connection (over some sort of modem) you can do all sorts of strange stuff with multiple routers, but I suspect that's not what you're asking ...
britishtrident

posted on 30/3/08 at 08:34 AM Reply With Quote
What type of server do you want to connect to ie how is it connected to the wider world, -- direct dial up or on the internet ?
Schrodinger

posted on 30/3/08 at 06:25 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys it's as I thought.
I am house sitting for a friend for a couple of months and althought I will be able to use his pc I want to be able to use my laptop while my wife is surfing using the pc. I will have to remember to ask my friend the setup password for his router.

Keith
Aviemore

britishtrident

posted on 31/3/08 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
No need if it has an ethernet port just add a very cheap ethernet switch --- or if you want wireless a wireless access point.
Schrodinger

posted on 1/4/08 at 06:26 PM Reply With Quote
Fortunately it is a BT router same as my own so I only needed the wireless code to allow me access.

Keith
Aviemore

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.