Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Compact drivetrain challenge...
BCA

posted on 31/3/08 at 10:49 PM Reply With Quote
Compact drivetrain challenge...

Hi there, first post I think - but been a member for ages... decided against a locost in the end (was about three/four/five years ago?) - however, having rebuilt a few cars in that time - im now after a new challenge...

I have a car in mind, but space is extremely limited, so I was wondering if anyone knew of some basic engine/gearbox dimensions for a transverse application to be used in a mid-engined car...

The space I have available is approximately 800mm by 600mm and 600mm deep... theres possibly a little wiggle room, but as you can appreciate - space is very tight.

No bike engines and manual is preferred. Budget is quite tight, so nothing too exotic please... over 130bhp is the target!

So then, what are your suggestions/ what are the dimensions and specs?

Thanks in advance,
BCA

zetec7

posted on 31/3/08 at 11:45 PM Reply With Quote
There are a lot of midi-builds going on at LocostUSA.com - they might be able to give you some dimensions. The first thing that comes to mind for me is a Focus ZX3 2.0 litre Zetec front end, which is light, fairly tightly packaged, and gives you the exact BHp you're looking for...

http://www.freewebs.com/zetec7/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
BCA

posted on 1/4/08 at 10:02 AM Reply With Quote
Im not sure a Zetec will fit, I believe it may be slightly too wide - do you have any measurements??

Any more suggestions?

BCA

posted on 1/4/08 at 11:22 AM Reply With Quote
had a quick look on LocostUSA - what an infuriating site it is?!! - the whole "thingy" descriptions has absolutely drained me mentally... I spent about 20mins on there and instead of getting a clearer picture on things I just got irritated.
02GF74

posted on 2/4/08 at 09:43 AM Reply With Quote
small engine/gearbox combintaions I would suggest looking at failry old stuff like fiesta corssflow + 4 spd box or mini a-series + 4 speed.

The old ohv are more compact than dohc which are much wider at the top end due to having 2 cams side by side.

i would also guess that a 4 speed box is samller than 5 speed.

also conside hillman but donl;t know much about that size wise.

you would also be looking a small capacity engines too.

iank

posted on 2/4/08 at 10:48 AM Reply With Quote
A series mini, or Fiat FIRE are both small enough, but will struggle to get to 130bhp without tuning them to the hilt. A-series are stupidly expensive these days and you won't get (a real) 130bhp for less than £2000 without getting very lucky on a s/h engine.

ZetecSE (i.e. Sigma) is a good choice as the exhaust exits rearwards which helps packaging in most cases. a 1.6 will make 100bhp out of the box, and 150ish with some work.

The other choice that is being used a lot right now for Mini engine swaps is the Vauxhall C16XE since it's small enough to fit with no changes to a roundnose.
150bhp is supposed to be easy to obtain.
http://www.sbdev.co.uk/History_files/History_InstantExpert.htm
If you're happy with 100bhp then a c16se 8v is even cheaper and smaller in the head area.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

thomas4age

posted on 2/4/08 at 01:03 PM Reply With Quote
4age 125hp 16V engine is very small,

I can measure one up but haven't got the transverse box.

grtz thomas

If Lucas made guns, Wars wouldn't start either.

BCA

posted on 10/4/08 at 06:58 PM Reply With Quote
Apologies, been away for a bit...

If you can measure up the 4age that'd be great thanks...

I've been doing some reasearch and the dimensions I've listed are slightly pessimistic, so a few more things can fit...

I've been looking at Pug 106GTi engines and they're fine except for the gearlinkage location/fragility...

I'd rather not go for anything too old/ certainly nothing crossflow/Aseries like...

any further suggestions??

Im thinking possibly:
Honda CRX engine
Toyota 4AGE
Zetec

at present.. open to further options and would love approximate measurements for the above!

nz_climber

posted on 11/4/08 at 04:43 AM Reply With Quote
Not sure which honda engine you thinking about with the crx, but the b16 and b18 are great engines in traverse format.. 4age 20v is another good option, but not sure on sizes for any of the above

http://aarons7.wordpress.com

MikeRJ

posted on 11/4/08 at 07:52 AM Reply With Quote
A browse through http://www.16vminiclub.com might yield some ideas, if it can be crammed into a mini engine bay it's got to be fairly compact.
Liam

posted on 11/4/08 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
...if it can be crammed into a mini engine bay it's got to be fairly compact.

Not neccessarily

http://www.v6mini.co.uk/

Liam

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Liam

posted on 11/4/08 at 06:36 PM Reply With Quote
Maybe more helpfully...

The new corsa has a very nice little 1.6 turbo. 150bhp in SRi and 192bhp in VXR form!

Liam

MikeRJ

posted on 11/4/08 at 10:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Liam
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
...if it can be crammed into a mini engine bay it's got to be fairly compact.

Not neccessarily

http://www.v6mini.co.uk/

Liam

That wasn't crammed into the mini's engine bay though, they had to chop a big hole in bulkhead and have most of it in the cabin area!

BCA

posted on 12/4/08 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
The vtec minis have given me some hope... certainly dealing with similar space constraints... also seems to have a cable gear linkage which is rather helpful.

Cheers guys - out of interest, does anyone have any further suggestions or measurements for any of the engines mentioned?

thanks again,
BCA

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.