Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Which brake fluid? wilwood m/c's + calipers..?
foes

posted on 1/4/08 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
Which brake fluid? wilwood m/c's + calipers..?

What brake fluid would people recommend for use in conjunction with wilwood m/c's + calipers, and standard rear drums, the car will be used on track...
thanks any help appreciated.

nitram38

posted on 1/4/08 at 01:16 PM Reply With Quote
You will get lots of differing opinions, but I recommend going with a good normal dot4-5 and change it at least once a season.
I don't like silicone for lots of reasons, but one being the extra expense.

Mr Whippy

posted on 1/4/08 at 01:50 PM Reply With Quote
same here, my bakes fade well before anything happens to the fluid, though if I was going to race something perhaps I'd invest in something fancy

I didn't change the fluid on the bluebird due to its pathetic mileage per year and given the fact that most of the time it sits in the garage. Wish I had though as when I took the drums off I found it was leaking! Leaking at 40k I was stunned So I took the slave cylinder apart (their aluminium) and found it was covered inside with a hard brown varnish that had torn the seals. New cylinders have been fitted and I'll give it proper yearly changes regardless of the use it gets, strangely the brake fluid was perfectly clean looking.

[Edited on 1/4/08 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
britishtrident

posted on 1/4/08 at 02:15 PM Reply With Quote
The higher boiling point fluid you use the more water it will absorb.
Water has two bad effects
(1) It lowers the boiling point of the fluid.
(2) It causes corrosion

For track use I strongly advise using Dot 5.1 fluid but change it at least every year --- you don't have to completely drain the system just bleed the fresh fluid through.

For a book Locost that dosen't see the track DOT 4 fluid is fine change every 2 years.

RazMan

posted on 1/4/08 at 03:36 PM Reply With Quote
Dot5.1 every time for me - it is compatable with Dot4 but I THINK it is less corrosive to paintwork.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
chriscook

posted on 1/4/08 at 04:14 PM Reply With Quote
Don't use dot5 as the calipers are almost certainly assembled using non-silicone fluid and they do not mix at all well.

dot5.1 should be fine though which is what i use.

foes

posted on 1/4/08 at 06:41 PM Reply With Quote
thanks for the input, looks like dot 5.1 then, any brands in particular or will any do..?
cheers

se7ensport

posted on 1/4/08 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
if you are going to pay for 5.1 check out the AP stuff on Burton Powers site - it's pretty cheap for something that is good quality.

£4.50 for 500ml
Linky

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.