Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: seamless tube for wishbones
davie h

posted on 2/4/08 at 11:05 AM Reply With Quote
seamless tube for wishbones

can anyone help with suppliers for the seamless tube for my haynes roadster wishbones 19mm 1.6 wall and 25mm 2.0mm wall i have called just about everywhere with no luck does anyone know of any suppliers in and around Glasgow or further

thanks Davie

jono_misfit

posted on 2/4/08 at 12:09 PM Reply With Quote
I buy all my seamless from pipe and tube group over in Falkirk.

You will usually have to go through a steel stockholder as their minimum order was £250 last time i spoke to them. Saying that with the steel price so high you might make it with just a length of each

I use alexanders in Stirling, but im sure Kelvin steel or similar in glasgow would be able to help.

[Edited on 2/4/08 by jono_misfit]

blakep82

posted on 2/4/08 at 02:14 PM Reply With Quote
metal supermarket is in govan

just 200m or so from the mighty glasgow rangers in fact

[Edited on 2/4/08 by blakep82]

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Mr Whippy

posted on 2/4/08 at 02:16 PM Reply With Quote
the oval section looks nicer on wishbones

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
davie h

posted on 2/4/08 at 02:28 PM Reply With Quote
i gave metal supermarket a call and they can do it the only difference is that the 19mm has a wall thickness of 2mm rather than the 1.6 mm in the book i dont think this will be a problem as its thicker so i dont see that being a problem

whippy i agree i like the look of oval bones but theses are the first ive made so as they say start at the bottom and work you way up

Davie

Mr Whippy

posted on 2/4/08 at 03:27 PM Reply With Quote
I'd still go for the oval section, larger weld area, easier to jig and get the angled cuts right especially as it won't roll around. Looks a damn sight better too.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
leto

posted on 2/4/08 at 03:48 PM Reply With Quote
To use seamless tubes in a welded part are a total waste, unless you meed the smooth inside.

“I'm gonna ride around in style
I'm gonna drive everybody wild
'Cause I'll have the only one there is a round”. (J. Cash)

davie h

posted on 2/4/08 at 04:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by leto
To use seamless tubes in a welded part are a total waste, unless you meed the smooth inside.

these tubes are for the wishbones and i was thinking that they were to be made with seamless due to the strenght although im probably wrong

Davie

delboy

posted on 2/4/08 at 05:56 PM Reply With Quote
Skerrysteel in Blantyre, good prices and guys who know what they are taking about. They won't try to pass you of with cheap imported sections from Turkey unless that's what you want. I can assure you, you don't want. They do howver stock it. Just tell them exactly what you require and they will sort you out.
davie h

posted on 2/4/08 at 05:59 PM Reply With Quote
i got all the erw for my chassis from skerrysteel their only 5 minutes from my house but they dont have it

Davie

caber

posted on 2/4/08 at 06:30 PM Reply With Quote
Lots of Galvanised oval tube available at your local supermarket, usually costs £1 for enough to make 1 wishbone, you get free grill with it for your nosecone. If you don't mind electrolysis and wire brushing you can get it free in your local canal

Caber

Jon Hazan

posted on 2/4/08 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
I got my CDS off a guy on ebay:

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Ringwood-Precision-Engineering

Ended up spending £200 to get enough for 2 sets of wishbones for my locost. The metal turned up 2 days later. (Ordered at like 10pm)

Mr Whippy

posted on 2/4/08 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by caber
Lots of Galvanised oval tube available at your local supermarket, usually costs £1 for enough to make 1 wishbone, you get free grill with it for your nosecone. If you don't mind electrolysis and wire brushing you can get it free in your local canal

Caber

what was Davies job again? and your suggesting pinching trolleys...

mark chandler

posted on 2/4/08 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
I made my bottom bones (the ones that need to be tough) from old landrover/rangerover steering rods, 1" 2mm CDS tube without the price!

Top out of 3/4 16swg tube (the same as is used to brace the structure.

The LR tubes are already tapped so I used Series III TRE's and cut the ends off for the rods for the middle bit, same taper as cortina uprights with longer threads and castle nuts.

Regards Mark

davie h

posted on 3/4/08 at 01:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
quote:
Originally posted by caber

Caber

what was Davies job again? and your suggesting pinching trolleys...

im just off to count the trolleys at asda to see if any are missing

Davie

[Edited on 3/4/08 by davie h]

leto

posted on 3/4/08 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by davie h
quote:
Originally posted by leto

these tubes are for the wishbones and i was thinking that they were to be made with seamless due to the strenght although im probably wrong

Davie

You want steel that is stronger alright but seamless tubes are pointless.
For suspensions the Swedish approval organization recommends steel with a yield point at 220 N/mm2 or higher. Tensile strength at least 100 N/mm2 higher then the yield point and at least 10% elongation before brake (the last one is extremely important).

davie h

posted on 4/4/08 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
got the lot from metal supermarket for £44 and thats with some spare for practice cuts. the guy at the one at ibrox is a top bloke gave me about 500mm extra and he didnt charge for it

Davie

blakep82

posted on 4/4/08 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by davie h
got the lot from metal supermarket for £44 and thats with some spare for practice cuts. the guy at the one at ibrox is a top bloke gave me about 500mm extra and he didnt charge for it

Davie

yeah, they're top lads. gave me a whole load of offcut ali plates to practise mig welding ali

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

NS Dev

posted on 4/4/08 at 10:25 PM Reply With Quote
blimey there's some expensve talk here...........£200 for two sets of bones????

Use hydraulic tubing, available off the shelf from your local hydraulics supplier, 19mm od 1.6mm wall, weldable and seamless, and fairly cheap.

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

leto

posted on 5/4/08 at 12:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NS Dev
blimey there's some expensve talk here...........£200 for two sets of bones????

Use hydraulic tubing, available off the shelf from your local hydraulics supplier, 19mm od 1.6mm wall, weldable and seamless, and fairly cheap.

Hydraulic tubing is fine, just check that it is annealed or normalized

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.