Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: ram air
jlparsons

posted on 3/4/08 at 06:05 PM Reply With Quote
ram air

Does anyone know what speeds you need to be up to in order to get near the figures quoted for bike engine output with ram air? I'm wondering if sevens ever reach those sort of speeds and hence if i can be bothered. Anyone done any testing?
If people have bothered, what sort of scoop/duct do you tend to use, and where on the car is this most effective?

Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. Some assembly required. Batteries not included. Contents may settle during shipment. Use only as directed. No other warranty expressed or implied. Do not use while operating a motor vehicle or heavy equipment. Subject to approval, terms and conditions apply. Apply only to affected area. For recreational use only. All models over 18 years of age. No user-serviceable parts inside. Subject to change. As seen on TV. One size fits all. May contain nuts. Slippery when wet. For office use only. Edited for television. Keep cool; process promptly.

lsdweb

posted on 3/4/08 at 06:24 PM Reply With Quote
I've heard a figure of 120mph quoted although that could be totla bull!

If it is true - don't bother!

Wyn

I love speed :-P

posted on 3/4/08 at 06:40 PM Reply With Quote
Some info here
http://www.sportrider.com/tech/146_9508_ram/index.html
http://www.sportrider.com/tech/146_9910_ram/index.html
http://www.sportrider.com/tech/146_9912_ram/index.html

Don't Steal
The Government doesn’t like the competition

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
snapper

posted on 3/4/08 at 07:00 PM Reply With Quote
Cold air is always denser than warm so ducted air from the front will be a. denser and be have some extra pressure than filters out the side.
On my CEC i have bike carbs and a pipercross, when funds allow i will get one of there airboxes and pipe cold air from the front or a bonnet scoop.
every little helps and cold air makes a lot of difference compaired with hot under bonnet stuff

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

jlparsons

posted on 3/4/08 at 07:02 PM Reply With Quote
Ok, so that one can go on my post-sva "when i can be ars3d" to-do list.

Thanks folks!

Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. Some assembly required. Batteries not included. Contents may settle during shipment. Use only as directed. No other warranty expressed or implied. Do not use while operating a motor vehicle or heavy equipment. Subject to approval, terms and conditions apply. Apply only to affected area. For recreational use only. All models over 18 years of age. No user-serviceable parts inside. Subject to change. As seen on TV. One size fits all. May contain nuts. Slippery when wet. For office use only. Edited for television. Keep cool; process promptly.

kevmcdo

posted on 3/4/08 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
The effect is not only good but can also be very negative on a bike engine in the wrong conditions. I had twin ram intakes on my GSXR 600 and 750 a few years a go and it would cause carb icing on cold mornings resulting in loss of power and in extreme conditons stalling. If the bikes were used during the winter I would have to blank one off thus restricting the cold air intake and some of the performance ( noticable at higher speeds). My current bike is a zx12r with fuel injection and is not affected in any weather conditions. The speed/wind effect required to make a perfomance gain noticable is well on the way to sending you to jail and well out of reach of more standard 7 style cars.

Hope this helps

eznfrank

posted on 3/4/08 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
This is currently on my list if things to figure out too?? So would you say a sausage filter in line with bonnet scoop with a cold air feed would be a good way to go.

Will be running a ZX12 and seem to remember reading on Hellfire's site somewhere they had heating issues?

Hellfire

posted on 3/4/08 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eznfrank
This is currently on my list if things to figure out too?? So would you say a sausage filter in line with bonnet scoop with a cold air feed would be a good way to go.

Will be running a ZX12 and seem to remember reading on Hellfire's site somewhere they had heating issues?

We did indeed have overheating problems which were solved by a combination of water wetter and bonnet ducting. Now she only reaches the extremes when tracking, and then she's only brought in for the Oil to cool, which we monitor with a Spa Temperature/Pressure Gauge.

Steve

kevmcdo

posted on 3/4/08 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
The zx12r engine runs fairly hot all the time, for the size of engine the oil capacity was kept low to reduce weight. Even in the bike when riding through town the fans kick in very quickly compared with say a blackbird engine.
BenB

posted on 3/4/08 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
I think this has been looked at before.
I think the general consensus is the ram air effect kicks in well after your standard 7 has hit the aerodynamic brick wall!!!!!!!
Good on a 200mph bike though (I was told it starts happening at 130mph+ as a rule of thumb)

nitram38

posted on 4/4/08 at 04:57 AM Reply With Quote
I am using the standard airbox which will have a small plenum added to the filter opening with 2 X 3" tubes sticking out.
My engine is mounted the same as a bike at the rear end of the Motaleira.
From either side of the seats there will be two NACA ducts (one either side of the car) piped in 3" flexi to the airbox.
I believe that using the original airbox is a bonus and the ducting can only help.
Because a rolling road cannot simulate airflow as the car is static, I have invested in a power commander and an inovate lambda gauge.
This will enable me to tune the car in the "real" world, while I am actually driving. Rescued attachment fuel filler 4.jpg
Rescued attachment fuel filler 4.jpg

Hellfire

posted on 4/4/08 at 08:28 AM Reply With Quote
Like kevmcdo says, you'll not be able to reach the speeds required to benefit from ram air.

Phil

hughpinder

posted on 4/4/08 at 09:43 AM Reply With Quote
If you use a forward facing bonnet scoop, don't forget to ensure that the air flow under the bonnet is retained. The air flow through the radiator will be reduced if too much air comes in that way 'cos you get the same pressure in front and behind the rad, rather than just high pressure at the front only.
larrythelathe

posted on 4/4/08 at 09:50 AM Reply With Quote
surface of the intake

if you had a bigger input volume of air and focused it down to a smaller diameter. this will have the same effect as going faster.

Its normal to see this on big sports cars.
The trick is getting the fueling right cost loads of money

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.