Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Tank straps
LBMEFM

posted on 3/4/08 at 07:37 PM Reply With Quote
Tank straps

Has anybody got a pic or ideas of how you secure the fuel tank with ali straps.
Barry

Mark Allanson

posted on 3/4/08 at 08:25 PM Reply With Quote
Ali straps will crack fairly quickly, try and get some stainless. Waste from the back of a fabricators guillotine is always a good bet

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

yamapinto

posted on 3/4/08 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
tank straps

why not use nylon straps they fit better won't crack, and come come with a self tightening buckle,and no problems with sharp for the s.v.a
bassett

posted on 3/4/08 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
Hi, Not an MK but im sure my MNR is pretty similar. Ive got pics of my ally staps in the blog, link below.
Adam

My MNR Blog Updated Jan 2010 - Track Day Prep Begins!

thepest

posted on 4/4/08 at 04:51 AM Reply With Quote
I used ratchet tie downs (of course modified in length) they work brilliantly and I covered them with some Air conditioning insulation hose. You can tighten all you want and will last very long too.
BenB

posted on 4/4/08 at 08:23 AM Reply With Quote
If you're determined to use ali straps it's not that tricky.

Get 2 lengths of 20mm*2mm (? I think that's the size!) from B+Q, bend it to shape, stick some self-adhesive foam on the inside of it, couple of bolts through the end into chassis rail (or special tank mounting plate if the chassis maker has been kind). Job done.

On the STM / Aries tank it's even easier. The bottom plate of the TIG'd ali tank is wider than the tank and it's pre drilled for bolts. So you just bolt the whole tank onto the chassis. I wondered if petrol foaming would be a problem (after all, no isolating bobbins or anything) but no problems so far...

procomp

posted on 4/4/08 at 08:39 AM Reply With Quote
Hi bolting the petrol tank direct to the chassis is a bad idea. In the event of an accident it would mean that the tank has no choice but to get ripped off it's mountings. Hence why all most all manufacturers use straps of one kind or another. So the tank is not directly fastened to the chassis.

Cheers Matt

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Bluemoon

posted on 4/4/08 at 08:59 AM Reply With Quote
Second B and Q steel strips.. Just make sure you don't bend too tight a bend as they will crack (i.e. bend over something with a small radius in the vice.. I used old bike inner tubes for instead of foam (they were locost after all...)

I did'nt fancy ali ones, not sure they are really up to the job not sure if over time they would crack from vibration or not.

I would post photos, but my tank and chassis is not standard, it has locost style rear hoop with vertical stays at the back, so the straps only need to go half way round the tank.

Dan

[Edited on 4/4/08 by Bluemoon]

Mr Whippy

posted on 4/4/08 at 09:13 AM Reply With Quote
The safest thing surely would be a catch which in a crash released the tank so that it may be ejected from the car by a large spring, that way it could burn all it wanted without endangering the driver.

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Stuart_B

posted on 4/4/08 at 10:55 AM Reply With Quote
Hi, i used tank straps on my indy, picture below on how i did mine:

stuart Rescued attachment P4040001.jpg
Rescued attachment P4040001.jpg

Stuart_B

posted on 4/4/08 at 10:56 AM Reply With Quote
And another

stuart Rescued attachment P4040002.jpg
Rescued attachment P4040002.jpg

LBMEFM

posted on 4/4/08 at 05:31 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks or is it tanks you guys, anyway as usual, brilliant and helpful advice.
Cheers Barry

eccsmk

posted on 4/4/08 at 06:13 PM Reply With Quote
i asked mk the same question and they just PU there tanks to the chassis altho i used some 4mm aluminium 2" wide bolted to the two rear steel plates then bent it round the tank.
all the best

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.