Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: micro car chassis
smart51

posted on 4/4/08 at 01:41 PM Reply With Quote
micro car chassis

Here are some pics of my new chassis before I strip it down and paint it. Before anyone asks, yes it will fit out of the door. The top of the chassis isn't welded on yet and will be welded when it goes out to the garage to be built up properly. Rescued attachment chassis.JPG
Rescued attachment chassis.JPG

smart51

posted on 4/4/08 at 01:43 PM Reply With Quote
I've estimated that the whole thing will weigh 275kg when finished. I'd be happy enough if it ended up weighing 300kg. I expect 90 MPG too, which makes the Prius look expensive and pointless. Rescued attachment chassis front .JPG
Rescued attachment chassis front .JPG

smart51

posted on 4/4/08 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
Now I've got to strip it down and finish off all the welds. Rescued attachment chassis rear.JPG
Rescued attachment chassis rear.JPG

r1_pete

posted on 4/4/08 at 01:48 PM Reply With Quote
Are they patio doors on your garage, or have you knackered your living room?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mr Whippy

posted on 4/4/08 at 01:50 PM Reply With Quote
oooooohhhh this is the scooter thing

finally we get to see it, What's the body going to look like?

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
smart51

posted on 4/4/08 at 01:51 PM Reply With Quote
No, that's my basement / workshop. It saves working outside in the winter and stops unpainted steel from rusting. The car will be built in the neighbours' unused garage at the bottom of her garden. I get to use it in exchange for trimming the hedge that joins her garden to mine.
Benzine

posted on 4/4/08 at 01:54 PM Reply With Quote
Awesome. I'd love to build something similar one day aiming for high mpg
wilkingj

posted on 4/4/08 at 02:30 PM Reply With Quote
Oohh

From the VDLA site:
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/HowToTaxYourVehicle/DG_10012524

Tricycle (TC50), any cc, UNDER 450Kgs... £66 per annum Road Tax as well.

and 90mpg.. Bugger, you spotted a belter there.

good luck with it.

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

Dangle_kt

posted on 4/4/08 at 03:48 PM Reply With Quote
why have you used scooter tyres? surly all the wear will be over a very small contact patch, and so you'll square of the tyres quickly and have to change them regularly when they loose all useful tread?

Unless the wheels articulate .... like that new scooter thing?

FUORISERIE

posted on 7/4/08 at 09:23 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by smart51
Here are some pics of my new chassis before I strip it down and paint it. Before anyone asks, yes it will fit out of the door. The top of the chassis isn't welded on yet and will be welded when it goes out to the garage to be built up properly.

very interesting 3wheeler project, is this going to be a cabin scooter or other ?

What engine are you using ? engine displacement ?.

[Edited on 7/4/08 by FUORISERIE]

smart51

posted on 7/4/08 at 11:52 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by FUORISERIE
very interesting 3wheeler project, is this going to be a cabin scooter or other ?

Yes, a cabin scooter. I'm using a piaggio x8 250cc engine and transmission. It makes 22 BHP and is fuel injected, catalytically converted and is EURO3 compliant, which should make MSVA a bit easier.

FUORISERIE

posted on 7/4/08 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by smart51
quote:
Originally posted by FUORISERIE

Yes, a cabin scooter. I'm using a piaggio x8 250cc engine and transmission. It makes 22 BHP and is fuel injected, catalytically converted and is EURO3 compliant, which should make MSVA a bit easier.

Nice.......I was thinking of a similar project a few years ago, but never got to building the thing.

Do you have a build blog?, it would be nice to follow your build.
Looking forward to seeing it finished.

Cheers
Italo

Simon

posted on 11/5/08 at 12:24 AM Reply With Quote
I was toying with the idea of getting an electric golf cart on the road, and had found a damaged one for £400 - which was about £300 more than I wanted to pay for it

Increase the voltage, change the gearing, put on decent brakes, lights and (removeable) windcreen. Fit solar panels on roof, and an alternator to the brake pedal

Might build a T or a

next anyway!

ATB

Simon

kipper

posted on 26/5/08 at 08:47 AM Reply With Quote
three wheeler

Hi smart 51.
I have been very interested in your project and the use of the Piaggio engine unit.
We have just bought a piaggio 400 scooter to try something similar so forgive me if I try to pick your brain over one or two things.
first off we propose to use the whole rear end including the frame and just cut of the tubes in front of the engine, the tubes are very substantial and strong.
Q .. have you used the frame as a starting piont.?
Q..How are you aranging a hand brake?
Q.. Are you altering the exhaust as the one we have makes the arse end very wide?
Thanks for any info.
Regards Kipper

smart51

posted on 28/5/08 at 05:35 PM Reply With Quote
I haven't used the bike frame at all. The engine is attached with 1 big bolt and the dampers with 1 normal sized bolt each. I decided to make my own chassis that was a bit like a locost chassis.

I considered using a gokart cable operated brake calliper on the rear disc for the handbrake. There are unused bosses on the scooter's trailing arms that could mount a bracket to hold the calliper. In the end, I fitted handbrakes to the front wheels, thinking that two are better than one.

I've left the exhaust unmodified. It is euro 3 compliant so should make SVA easier. My design seats 2 abreast so even with a tapered rear, there's room for the original silencer.

What are you building? Any pics?

kipper

posted on 29/5/08 at 11:18 PM Reply With Quote
Hi.
Thanks for the reply. We are buiding a three wheeler using the Piaggio 400cc engine unit and rear frame assembly, for the front end we are using a locust front end and the ladder frame chassis which will be shortened as the engine bay will not be needed. The peddle box will be just behind the front wheels.
we dont have a plan for the bodywork yet, we will see what we have when the trike is rolling. something like a lotus elise front clamshell would be nice as a starter.
The handbrake is still a worry though but I guess we will get over that problem.
Regards.Kipper........AKA Denis.

kipper

posted on 11/7/08 at 02:14 PM Reply With Quote
three wheeler

Any progress updates on the three wheeler project
Kipper

Where did that go?
<<<<

smart51

posted on 11/7/08 at 08:25 PM Reply With Quote
I've been working away on the inner fibreglass panels. Its still looking quite rough at the moment because I plan to do all the finishing in one go. Better not to tidy up part of it then drop something and scratch it.

I even drove it today. 2 metres, from the back of the garage to the front. It was so good, I went back and did it again. Rescued attachment inner tub.JPG
Rescued attachment inner tub.JPG

smart51

posted on 11/7/08 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
The car has a roof and a boot and everything. Rescued attachment boot space.JPG
Rescued attachment boot space.JPG

smart51

posted on 12/7/08 at 02:48 PM Reply With Quote
I had to take it out of the garage (my next door neighbours) whilst she had a fridge freezer delivered, so I just had to take it up the lane that runs along the back of the houses. It power slides like a demon up wet grassy / muddy slopes
Delinquent

posted on 16/7/08 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote
You see those blokes with white coats on coming up your driveway...
ceebmoj

posted on 1/8/08 at 11:32 AM Reply With Quote
hi there,

what are the wheels at the fount? thay look like rear wheels from a scooter if so what hub / upright are you using with them? does the scooter have a bolt on stub axle at the rear?

any pictures greatly apreasheated.

Blake

smart51

posted on 1/8/08 at 03:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ceebmoj
what are the wheels at the front?

They are 10" wheels off a mini. I'm using mini brakes hubs and uprights too. The rear wheel is part of the scooter's engine and transmission. I haven't touched it at all, it was simply unbolted from the scooter and bolted on to my chassis.

smart51

posted on 1/8/08 at 10:23 PM Reply With Quote
Here is a "beautifully" rendered drawing of the car as I intend it to look. I now have to transfer this to the foam. Rescued attachment MinimaCabinScooter.JPG
Rescued attachment MinimaCabinScooter.JPG

ettore bugatti

posted on 3/8/08 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
Nice!

Just a clean design, what else do you need?

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.