Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: How quickly do you get up to oil pressure?
chriscook

posted on 5/4/08 at 06:41 PM Reply With Quote
How quickly do you get up to oil pressure?

I started my freshly built XE just now. I got the oil pressure light out on the starter and a twitch from the gauge so went for it. When I remembered to plug the coil pack it it started straight away.

However, when I start it it takes a couple of seconds for it to reach full oil pressure. I can't for the life of me remember how quickly it climbed before.

It seems to be happy enough once it got warm the tappets went quiet and when I took the cam cover off for the final head bolt torqing there was plenty of oil about up there.

The oil pump has brand new gears and the block was dipped so all the oilways should be clear.

Cheers,
Chris

nib1980

posted on 5/4/08 at 06:42 PM Reply With Quote
sounds similar to my xflow
britishtrident

posted on 5/4/08 at 07:18 PM Reply With Quote
(1) What grade oil are you using ?
(2) Are you using an OEM spec oil filter ? (oil filters differ internally some have anti-drain back valves and/or anti syphon tubes.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

chriscook

posted on 5/4/08 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
oil is 15w40

it is not a standard oil ftlter it is a very short one for ground clearance reasons.
it is the same as i was using on the last engine though.

snapper

posted on 5/4/08 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
Bit of a beer moment thought this but if you start the engine and guage the time to get full pressure then kill the engine while leaving the electrics on you should be able to see the time it takes for the pressure to drop, if it takes a while to drop then there may be a restriction in the oil feed somewere

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

chriscook

posted on 6/4/08 at 07:56 AM Reply With Quote
I had a flash on inspiration as I was waking up this morning.

For the first time I used a single piece rubber sump gasket rather than the two single ones either side of the windage tray. Now the single ones have steel inserts in them to maintain a certain thickness. The single 'c' section one does not - it you tighten the sump bolts up too much the crank can touch the windage tray.

Now if I've done the sump bolts up too much then the oil pickup will be closer to the bottom of the sump making it harder for the pump to suck the oil up....

If there is any restriction then it must be between the sender and the sump. If it was after the sender then I wouldn't see a problem on the gauge. The sender is only about 1" from the pump so its unlikely to be in the block which leave the pump itself or the pickup/sump.

If it warms up a bit I'll loosen off the sump bolts and see if it improves.

C10CoryM

posted on 6/4/08 at 04:22 PM Reply With Quote
If it's a mechanical oil press gauge you might find that it takes a minute to bleed the air out if its capillary line is empty. If it's been sitting, or that line was disconnected it will leak out.

Either way "a couple of seconds" sounds quick enough. Maybe you are having a bit of the fresh engine paranoia? I know it's pretty hard not to get nervous with a new engine.

"Our watchword evermore shall be: The Maple Leaf Forever!"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
chriscook

posted on 6/4/08 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
I just came back in from playing with the sump bolts and its the same. It is more than a couple of seconds but only a few...

It could be air in the sender - it is mounted horizontally. I'll whip it out tomorrow and make sure its full of oil and its not picked up any crud in the hole while it's been lying around in a box in the garage.

Will also see how quickly the gauge reacts to a step change in sender resistance.

Chris

chriscook

posted on 7/4/08 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
Ok so this evening I took out the pressure sender and made sure there was no crud in it, changed the filter to a new one, put the sender in the switch's hole and vice versa because it is in the pump housing itself, checked the oil filter bypass valve was ok and it didn't help.

So I checked the oil pressure relief valve and that looks ok.

Then I dropped the oil out the sump and poked a bit of 2.5mm wire in through the sump plug hole towards the pickup and it wouldn't slide under the pickup. I only did this quickly because it was getting late i needed some dinner but I'm pretty sure that my pickup is only about 2mm from the bottom of the sump. This sounds a bit too close to me.

There are two things it could be as the sump and pickup have been okay together before:
1) the different sump gasket is squashed more than the other style I've used
2) the pickup got bent when the previous engine expired

or both I suppose...

Looks like the sump needs to come right off - which will be a right pain now the engine is in the car.

How big a gap is normal?

triumphdave

posted on 8/4/08 at 12:18 AM Reply With Quote
I have got about 10-12mm clearance under mine

If you always do what you have always done you will always get what you have always got

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.