Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: '94 Fireblade CDI/ECU plug
Chas

posted on 6/4/08 at 09:42 AM Reply With Quote
'94 Fireblade CDI/ECU plug

Help! I'm currently finishing my wiring but seem to have the CDI/ECU plug from a later year of Fireblade. The one in my workshop manual (for my year) should have 9 wires going in to it, whereas the one I own has 13!!! Therefore I should be able to use the one I bought but not connect all the wires to my car. If that makes sense?
Does anyone out there have a photo of their '94 CDI plug, or could they very kindly take a photo, just so as I can ensure I have everything wired to the correct terminals (not shown in Haynes manual). Or even a little diagram showing what colours should go where for a 94 engined Blade CDI.

Thanks in advance. Chas.

andrew.carwithen

posted on 6/4/08 at 11:12 AM Reply With Quote
Mine's wired the same - i.e early CDI unit with later plug. The additional wires are for the throttle position switch and pink wire for anti-theft system. As the 893cc blade doesn't use these (and hence doesn't have the corresponding pins in the CDI) you simply ignore them. All other wires/pins are in the same loction on both plugs and so later plug works perfectly fine with earlier CDI unit.
Chas

posted on 6/4/08 at 11:42 AM Reply With Quote
'94 Fireblade CDI/ECU plug

Fantastic. That's exactly what I needed to know. Thank you very much Andrew. I was tearing my hair out for a while there. Next up, finding out why I don't have a spark. Is there any self-test for the CDI unit do you know? My CDI does have 16 pins though and not just 9, (part code:MWO EC 821R 3313)? I think I'll have to go the system methodically.
andrew.carwithen

posted on 6/4/08 at 01:47 PM Reply With Quote
Have a closer look at your CDI unit. (I can't get the plug out of mine to confirm), but from memory, although it has 16 sockets, I believe only nine will actually have contacts in them to marry up with the relevant pins/wires of the plug.
As regards no spark, have you earthed the sidestand/clutch/neutral switch wires from the CDI to the chassis? (green/white, green, light green in colour)

Chas

posted on 6/4/08 at 01:53 PM Reply With Quote
I've just checked again and there's definately a pin in each socket on the CDI. Hmmm. I'm pretty sure I earthed all the above mentioned wires too. I have used the original clocks and have things like the neutral light working which is part of the same wiring, but I'll check again.
Cheers

andrew.carwithen

posted on 6/4/08 at 02:18 PM Reply With Quote
Have managed to remove plug from mine but can't see if the sockets on the CDI itself all have contacts in (pedal box cover is in way) Like I say, I'm relying on memory which is known to be suspect at my age, so its possible I'm wrong with regard to no. of actual contacts in sockets.
However, part no of my CDI is same as yours apart from last four digits (MWO EC 821R 5425) so I would say you have correct CDI for your engine.
You could always ring Andy Bates Of AB Performance if you are still having difficulties firing her up.(I bought my blade package from him.) Absolute legend with regard to blade engines etc.

Chas

posted on 6/4/08 at 04:36 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for checking that Andrew, I reckon I have all the correct kit now. I'm checking my coils next but I don't think there's an easy way of testing the CDI box. I checked all my earths and things anyway, which are all in order. I'll give the chap you mentioned a call in the week. Cheers.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.