Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: brake backing plate - how to remove?
Dangle_kt

posted on 7/4/08 at 11:00 AM Reply With Quote
brake backing plate - how to remove?

Hi,

I am STILL trying to get my dam english axle apart to replace the diff. The problem I have now is the brake backing plate is preventing me from using THIS method with the two bolts rather than bashing a wheel:

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=83102

in use
in use

That is NOT a picture of my set up, I can't do that as there is a brake backing plate with all the brake shoes etc on it - if I could move the backing plate I could do it, but I can't figure out how to get it off - well not without cutting it up anyway!

britishtrident

posted on 7/4/08 at 11:05 AM Reply With Quote
Put a wheel on and hit the tyre not the wheel pulling at the opposite site at the same time.
Mr Whippy

posted on 7/4/08 at 11:06 AM Reply With Quote
hammer two wheel studs out and replace them with threaded bar. A nut fitted on the inside will allow you to wind the bar down against the back plate and force the bearing out.

[Edited on 7/4/08 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jollygreengiant

posted on 7/4/08 at 11:27 AM Reply With Quote
Or you could use the correct piece of kit called a Slide Hammer.

Slips over two opposing wheel studs and the nuts are done up tight. A heavy round hammer is then slid along a shaft (which is attached to the bracket attached to the studs) against a reaction stop. This pulls the shaft out an absolute doddle.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

Mr Whippy

posted on 7/4/08 at 11:32 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jollygreengiant

Slips over two opposing wheel studs and the nuts are done up tight. A heavy round hammer is then slid along a shaft (which is attached to the bracket attached to the studs) against a reaction stop. This pulls the shaft out an absolute doddle.

the cost! personally I don't like inpacting bearings anyway as the cages can be damaged...

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
twybrow

posted on 7/4/08 at 11:54 AM Reply With Quote
Anotyher vote for the slide hammer. It took me about 3 mins to remove both of my shafts.

02GF74

posted on 7/4/08 at 12:34 PM Reply With Quote
a slide hammer is find if a) you have one and b) you ensure chassis is supported porpely so no risk of pulling it off the stand.

I recognise that photo and it was my first attempt at removing the 0.5 shafts in order to fit back plate.

After SVA and some driving I had an oil leak on passenger side so had removed 0.5 shaft again and the back plate was fitted so it is possible to do using those "tools".

added.
when you remove the 4 bolts for the flange which alos keep the back plate in place (?) I used a smaller set of bolts to "hang" the plate so that a) the pipe is not stressed and b) it does not get in the way.

can't remember all the detials but it wasn't that hard to do. I have 8 inch drums so if you have 9 inch, maybe that makes is harder?

[Edited on 7/4/08 by 02GF74]

Dangle_kt

posted on 7/4/08 at 12:58 PM Reply With Quote
How long is a slide hammer? I only have limited room each side of the car, not sure it will fit....

Pics! Rescued attachment 101_0618.JPG
Rescued attachment 101_0618.JPG

twybrow

posted on 7/4/08 at 01:06 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah, I did have the clearance fun. Had to move the car on the jack in between sides!

As fro pulling it off the axle stands - no way! It took a lot less of a tug then I expected. Nowhere near enough to pull the car off its supports. Trying the wheel/tyre method, I found it nearly impossible (although worked for putting them back in).

Dangle_kt

posted on 7/4/08 at 01:12 PM Reply With Quote
I should change this into a "WANTED, SLIDE HAMMER" thread

Cheers fellas!

britishtrident

posted on 7/4/08 at 02:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dangle_kt
I should change this into a "WANTED, SLIDE HAMMER" thread

Cheers fellas!

You don't need a slide hammer just a 2kg mash hammer you don't need to bash hell out it -- just ensure you work the hammer blows round the clock and pull opposite where you are hitting -- normally 3 blows on the tyre is enough.

The way it situated next to a wall you won't get the shaft out anyway.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

twybrow

posted on 7/4/08 at 05:01 PM Reply With Quote
The problem with the tyre/bashing technique is the angle of pull. As you smack it, you are not pulling straight out, hence it will take more fouce than pulling at the midpoint. If you use the correct tool for the job (I know, the 'adjustment' hammer is a very handy tool!) it makes life so much easier.

If you have some steel, a welder, some threaded bar etc kicking around, you can make one pretty easily, although I just borrowed one from my local garage!

rusty nuts

posted on 7/4/08 at 05:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
quote:
Originally posted by jollygreengiant

the cost! personally I don't like inpacting bearings anyway as the cages can be damaged...

Why? its the proper tool for the job! will cause less damage than most other methods

PS Where abouts are you Dangle_KT ? Perhaps someone in your area may be able to help.

[Edited on 7/4/08 by rusty nuts]

britishtrident

posted on 8/4/08 at 07:35 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by twybrow
The problem with the tyre/bashing technique is the angle of pull. As you smack it, you are not pulling straight out, hence it will take more fouce than pulling at the midpoint. If you use the correct tool for the job (I know, the 'adjustment' hammer is a very handy tool!) it makes life so much easier.

If you have some steel, a welder, some threaded bar etc kicking around, you can make one pretty easily, although I just borrowed one from my local garage!

When hitting the tyre its the pulling on the opposite side that actually pulls the shaft out, the blow to the tyre just wiggles the bearing a tiny bit.

For anyone trying this hitting the wheel rim is actually less effective, than hitting the tyre because the impulse imparted by hitting the tyre is an elastic collision -- the force imparted is lower but last longer.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

Macbeast

posted on 8/4/08 at 07:58 AM Reply With Quote
I have a slide hammer in North London if that helps.
DarrenW

posted on 8/4/08 at 10:26 AM Reply With Quote
As BT says - How long are the half shafts? How close to the wall are you? Might be worth sticking it back on wheels and doing job outside at weekend (if its dry enough).

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.