Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Cleaning donor parts
Beardy_John

posted on 7/4/08 at 06:33 PM Reply With Quote
Cleaning donor parts

Hi guys,

Have a garage fully of dirty sierra parts that need cleaning. Will be using the electrolosis tub for the rusty parts, but whats best to clean the engine/gearbox/bellhousing???

Cheers

rusty nuts

posted on 7/4/08 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
Degrease then use the tool ( angle grinder with wire brush) Make sure you use decent facemask, goggles , gloves etc.
Stuart_B

posted on 7/4/08 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
I used Degrease, and then pressure washer with all the bits taped up. then used a bit of petrol and a brush for more cleaning power. make sure the petrol does not go in to the drain i done mine in a tub.

stuart

black mk indy, 1.6pinto on cbr600 bike carb's.

Chippy

posted on 7/4/08 at 10:58 PM Reply With Quote
Wash of the major shite with Gunk or Jizer, then when its dry brush clean with celulose thinners, then when you paint it you wont have trouble with the grease left by parafin, or petrol. HTH Ray

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

RazMan

posted on 8/4/08 at 03:08 AM Reply With Quote
B&Q do a couple of steam cleaners designed for tile cleaning - they just about last enough time to clean an engine and gearbox before taking it back for a refund under guarantee - therefore very locost

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
RazMan

posted on 8/4/08 at 03:08 AM Reply With Quote
B&Q do a couple of steam cleaners designed for tile cleaning - they just about last enough time to clean an engine and gearbox before taking it back for a refund under guarantee - therefore very locost

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
aerosam

posted on 8/4/08 at 08:03 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chippy
Wash of the major shite with Gunk or Jizer, then when its dry brush clean with celulose thinners, then when you paint it you wont have trouble with the grease left by parafin, or petrol. HTH Ray

That sounds like a great plan for the sierra bits, but if I was to use that on my BMW M60 engine, which is all ally and plastic, would the thinners do more harm than good? I ask as I'm about to hoik it out of the donor and it's kinda grimey.

Steam cleaner sounds a better plan in my case.

Chippy

posted on 10/4/08 at 11:04 PM Reply With Quote
Can't see why you would want to wash the plastic parts with acetate, as the Gunk/Jizer would get them clean, as with the alloy parts. The acetate wash is really only for those parts that you will want to paint, simply as it doesn't leave an oily residue. Cheers Ray
PS, have tried steam cleaning in the past, with not a lot of luck.

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.