Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: tooter
Mr Whippy

posted on 8/4/08 at 10:48 AM Reply With Quote
tooter

Trumpets on carbs...I take it that since the manifold length affects the torque or power of the engine then the trumpet length too has a roll in this? y/n, could this then be the reason me thinks as to the outrageous length this things can get sometimes or was that just to look mental??

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ditchlewis

posted on 8/4/08 at 11:01 AM Reply With Quote
Great mind think alike i was going to ask this very question. shorter manifold, more ponies longer manifold more torque... is this the same for trumpets?

i have 45mm trumpets, thinking of fitting 25mm trumpets, is this more horse power lower down and less torque and higher up the rev range?

more ponies sounds good, with such a light car torque is not such a big issue

ditch

Stuart_B

posted on 8/4/08 at 11:17 AM Reply With Quote
I have a long manifold on my bike carbs and short trumpets, does it do the same thing on bike carbs?

stuart

black mk indy, 1.6pinto on cbr600 bike carb's.

blakep82

posted on 8/4/08 at 11:19 AM Reply With Quote
oooh, is that the difference it makes? hmmm, do i want more power or torque? i've got to start making my manifold you see. been putting it off because i didn't know what difference it makes

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

leto

posted on 8/4/08 at 03:43 PM Reply With Quote
Ponies = torque x revs So you can't trade one for the other. By altering the total length of the manifold you can move a torque peak. For fast acceleration you want the peak at the rev you land at when you shift to a higher gear

“I'm gonna ride around in style
I'm gonna drive everybody wild
'Cause I'll have the only one there is a round”. (J. Cash)

MikeRJ

posted on 8/4/08 at 03:52 PM Reply With Quote
The tuned length of the induction system is from the back of the valve to the end of the trumpets. So the answer is yes they do have an effect which is why you can get them in different lengths.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.