Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Wanted! – Urgently needed Computer Nerds
Mr Whippy

posted on 9/4/08 at 03:13 PM Reply With Quote
Wanted! – Urgently needed Computer Nerds

Wonder if you can help? Due to our IT department being totally incompetent in maintaining the office server, leading to massive loss of files & work. We have decided to line them up and each take turns to shoot the lot of them, I have chosen the crossbow and will be aiming low

Obviously we will need replacements ASAP to get the server running again so please if you can say yes to the follow let us know.

1) Can you fix a server without switching it off without warning the users?
2) Do you answer e-mails for help
3) Can you buy off-the-shelf software in less than 2 months?
4) Do you believe in working 9-5 rather than whatever suits you?

Candidates should send in a good photograph so we may weed out the mummy’s boys

Thanks

[Edited on 9/4/08 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
worX

posted on 9/4/08 at 03:15 PM Reply With Quote
I prefer Joey's advert myself:

Wanted - Female roommate, non-smoker, non-ugly...

Steve

fesycresy

posted on 9/4/08 at 03:31 PM Reply With Quote
Local recruitement agency said I couldn't put 'pleasing on the eye' in my advert ?

Can't see the problem can you ?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

Mr Whippy

posted on 9/4/08 at 03:32 PM Reply With Quote
OMG!!!! they have used an ancient backup!!!!!!!

Can’t believe it looks like at least a weeks worth of work is gone

oh never mind servers down again.....FFS!

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
RK

posted on 9/4/08 at 04:06 PM Reply With Quote
Difficult to accept as it is, most people can' t much of anything (I myself have difficulty building a car, for example), so don't be too hard on them. It's a soft world now.
viatron

posted on 9/4/08 at 04:13 PM Reply With Quote
just doing a server hardware swap on a 4 DC windows domain without any user problems at all.....waited till half term and there all at home!!

BTW did a training course for a customer last week and out of 12 delegates 5 were polish!!!! any contractors out there time to change jobs!

r1_pete

posted on 9/4/08 at 04:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
OMG!!!! they have used an ancient backup!!!!!!!

Can’t believe it looks like at least a weeks worth of work is gone

oh never mind servers down again.....FFS!

Of course they have, its probably the last one which worked....

Small office systems and mickey mouse backup processess, one of my biggest gripes at our architects - only seem to ba able to architect one application per server, and no management routines!!!!

I run the big iron (mainframes) data is recoverable up to the point of failure

Puk

posted on 9/4/08 at 06:57 PM Reply With Quote
If you're firewall will let you, run your own backups:

mozy linky

Before you judge a guy, walk a mile in his shoes. Then when you judge him, you're a mile a way and you've nicked his shoes.

jlparsons

posted on 9/4/08 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
The nerds at my place seem to spend all their time at something called "lunch break". Whatever it is, they must all be experts at it by now.

Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. Some assembly required. Batteries not included. Contents may settle during shipment. Use only as directed. No other warranty expressed or implied. Do not use while operating a motor vehicle or heavy equipment. Subject to approval, terms and conditions apply. Apply only to affected area. For recreational use only. All models over 18 years of age. No user-serviceable parts inside. Subject to change. As seen on TV. One size fits all. May contain nuts. Slippery when wet. For office use only. Edited for television. Keep cool; process promptly.

DaveFJ

posted on 9/4/08 at 10:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy

1) Can you fix a server without switching it off without warning the users?
2) Do you answer e-mails for help
3) Can you buy off-the-shelf software in less than 2 months?
4) Do you believe in working 9-5 rather than whatever suits you?

1 absolutely
2 always
3 potentially BUT delays are usually causedd by a complete lack of understanding by usres who demand softwar which is pointless, doesn't work or incompatible - or all 3! and even then it takes up to 3 months for the bean counters to come up with the money
4 I, like most IT workers I know, would love to work 9-5 howeve I actually work 8-6 in the office then usually a couple of hours in the evening and of course the inevitable call from Asia at 3am not forgetting that any big works have to be done at weekends........

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

Agriv8

posted on 10/4/08 at 11:30 AM Reply With Quote
Mr whippy,

Ill come and work for you as long as I can afford a house in Catterline ( just south of Stonehaven ) and enough money to have a pint in the Creel pub ( if it is still there now and again ) .

Regards

Agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.