Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 16v 4A-GE what's worth doing?
D Beddows

posted on 10/4/08 at 03:49 PM Reply With Quote
16v 4A-GE what's worth doing?

On a bit of an impulse at the weekend I bought a job lot of MR2 parts from Ebay - including a phase 2 16v 4a-ge engine. I've off loaded all the MR2 specific parts and I'm basically left with a free engine needing a rebuild......

Now, I've been doing a bit of research and it's all got a bit confusing - my initial idea was just to rebuild it, stick on the set of Weber 40's I have sat on a shelf and wire it up with the megajolt unit and Ford Edis bits sat on the shelf next to the carbs. BUT is this going to work with a big port head and standard cams? (I'd be quite happy with 140-150ish bhp @ flywheel for now btw) or - do I need a small port head? (is that a straight swap onto a phase 2?) 45's instead of 40's?, livelier cams? or something else I haven't thought of yet Anything I find on the interweb seems to contradict the last site I looked at!

I don't want to keep the standard fuel injection (yes I know it would work/be cheaper etc etc), aftermarket fuel injection will be more expensive than I want to pay just at the moment (but a possibility for the future as is a 20v engine) and finally no, I don't want a bike engine instead thank you

COREdevelopments

posted on 10/4/08 at 04:00 PM Reply With Quote
hi i am using a small port 4age out of an ae92 corolla gti, cant see any reason why you cant use the large port engine, loads of people have done this, i have only just got mine running this month. im also using megajolt. i am just waiting for my coms lead to come then i can map it up, oh ye i am using twin 40 dellortos too.
its a great engine which revs to 8k!!!
another thing i should mention is that i had to chop my sump as i am using a locost chassis.

go for it!

rob

thomas4age

posted on 10/4/08 at 05:59 PM Reply With Quote
Great choice!

You don't want or will be able to stick a smallport head on a ph2 4age, as the oil return lines are completlt different.

you could exhange the cams for a more agressive profile, RAW have the trac-pac cams availeble for this engine I believe choices are inbetween 135 on stock cams and upto 165 hp before the head itself needs work all using weber dcoe's. they're based om omex ignition, but that's not really different to what you're describing.

contact RAW

Grtz Thomas

[Edited on 10/4/08 by thomas4age]

If Lucas made guns, Wars wouldn't start either.

tul214

posted on 10/4/08 at 06:36 PM Reply With Quote
I have the Raw trac-pac kit on my 4A-GE powered Tiger. It comes with cams and vernier pullies. With the cams you can feel the power come in at 6k and it pulls all the way round to the limiter at 8k. Mine is on dellorto 45's and an early version of the Omex ignition. On Boggs rollers we saw a solid 165+bhp and that was with the airbox fitted.

As said above...very good engine that loves to rev.

Mark.

1.6 Raw Super6 sold

cs3tcr

posted on 10/4/08 at 07:33 PM Reply With Quote
I'm running a small port head on the 3 rib block, the only thing i had to do was braze a pipe into the pan for the oil return from the head.

I've got 294 duration cams, twin 40 DCOEs and Megajolt, spins up to 8k no problem. Has nothing below 4k, but keeps building till the valves start bouncing (8200 rpm). The only thing i really should have changed was the flywheel, there are a ton of aftermarket lighter flywheels out there now. When i was building the car the only one was the Fidanza and i didnt want to sink anymore money into the motor.

Anyways, good choice on the motor, it looks good, sounds good and makes decent power.

ATB,
Rod

blockhead_rich

posted on 10/4/08 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
Great engine choice!

I've got a 4age engine too. I fitted GSXR TB's but used the standard injection (but with larger capacity injectors). See my archive for pic's. Running Omex ECU and junked the distrubutor and used a ford coil pack. Not too sure if it's set up correctly just now (runs very rich) hence it's booked in for a RR session next Friday. But I'm pleased with it so far.

I have thought about going for RAW's cams many times, but they are bloody expensive if you ask me - for similar money you can get a 20v engine (circa £500). And if you look furter afield 20v's are even cheaper > so I'm working on my suppliers in the far east to see what they can do shipping wise!

Let me know though if anyone has up-rated cams they wish to dispose of

Rich

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.