Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Cars DON'T cause Global Warming
JAG

posted on 11/4/08 at 08:49 AM Reply With Quote
Cars DON'T cause Global Warming

That's according to a paper published in Dec' 2007 - this paper carries 400 signatures of prominent scientists.

See HERE

Justin

Who is this super hero? Sarge? ...No.
Rosemary, the telephone operator? ...No.
Penry, the mild-mannered janitor? ...Could be!

coozer

posted on 11/4/08 at 08:54 AM Reply With Quote
Thats right, IMO its all a load of horlicks.

Global warming is caused by the SUN.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Agriv8

posted on 11/4/08 at 09:09 AM Reply With Quote
Some sense at last.

The Romans were growing wine grapes happily in the UK 'When they were here' so things must have got colder since then and now they are warming up again. Plus we have only been mearsuring it 'accuratly' for 50 or 60 years thats not a long time considering how long the planet has been going.

But hey lets not remove a reason for the Fecker to tax us more !!!!!!

Regards

Agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

balidey

posted on 11/4/08 at 09:10 AM Reply With Quote
Global Warming.
Global Polution.

Two very seperate things. Yes, everything man-made contributes to one of them and we should all do our bit to reduce the effects of it, but its NOT global warming.

blakep82

posted on 11/4/08 at 09:14 AM Reply With Quote
i remember when all this used to be casued by CFC's in the ozone layer what happened to all that?

hmm, too much greehouse gasses and carbon dioxide in the atmoshphere (i gather they mean up in the sky like on the edge of space) co2 is heavier than the air we breathe, so.....

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Bluemoon

posted on 11/4/08 at 09:22 AM Reply With Quote
Well we stopped using CFCs.. The data I get back at work shows that the CFCs have been decreasing, so the ozone hole is in fact able to recover

C02 emissions we can't stop unless people stop burning fossil fuels.. Come to you own conclusions..

Working as a scientist in the field I can ensure you most people agree on climate change it is happening, as to what this means this is open to argument.

Dan

smart51

posted on 11/4/08 at 09:26 AM Reply With Quote
It's hardly from an unbiased source though, is it? - The US Government.
The matter is essenitally unproven and unprovable.

350 years of Central England Temperature records show that the Earth is warming at an accelerating rate. 8 of the 10 hotest years on record are in the last 10 years, 9 of them in the last 50. The world is heating up and sea levels are rising. The link with CO2 is unproven but either way, I'm glad I don't live near the sea.

chrsgrain

posted on 11/4/08 at 09:28 AM Reply With Quote
In science there is and should always be debate, unfortunately at the moment it appears that the 'theory' and 'hypothesis' of of climate change is turning into unquestionable undebatable dogma where any sceptic is ignored - this can't be good for ongoing development of any theory or argument - no matter whether its right or wrong....

Chris

Spoing! - the sound of an irony meter breaking...

larrythelathe

posted on 11/4/08 at 09:44 AM Reply With Quote
madness

I f you don't believe carbon and methane is causing the world to warm you need to do research of your own.
I work in science and also studying the planet thro open uni. I started doing this as i am keen skier and saw first hand thro' my work the retreating of glaciers in the alps.
Its not that i am greeny i have a BEC i fly however it makes me feel sick to see the tax we pay to offset our carbon when.
government choose to put very little of this money into solving the problem.

400 scientist is nothing, i reckon i could get that saying it does in about 2 hours.

Bring on forced hydrogen research and Nuclear power.

Moorron

posted on 11/4/08 at 09:47 AM Reply With Quote
Im also one of those who beleive its an excuse to creat fear to then tax or make a living on.

The human race has effected the world, how could it not, but when you think how the sun can 'blip' and change things on earth 50 times more then we could ever do then i cant see why they have said its our fault.

The problem is that because its politically driven people then choose (like me) not to do anything, why should i pay extra tax to have my bins emptied less, which doesnt make me save the world but makes some bloke in the local council richer?

In 100 years the human race will look back at us now and smile at us like we did and those who burned witches. I honestly think its that stupid.

Sorry about my spelling, im an engineer and only work in numbers.

Benzine

posted on 11/4/08 at 09:53 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chrsgrain
In science there is and should always be debate, unfortunately at the moment it appears that the 'theory' and 'hypothesis' of of climate change is turning into unquestionable undebatable dogma where any sceptic is ignored - this can't be good for ongoing development of any theory or argument - no matter whether its right or wrong....

Chris

+1

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Dangle_kt

posted on 11/4/08 at 09:58 AM Reply With Quote
seeing as there are some knowledgeable people on here then (reading the above comments) is it true that when a volcano erupts in kicks more co2 into the atmosphere than has ever been done by man?

I read it somewhere and I am interested in how true it is.

Oh and I completely agree with the comments about Scientific theories being labeled as fact - to be honest that happens LOADS, with a lot of stuff we can only guess at - just watch a documentary on dinosaurs behavior, or evolution to hear these cast iron "facts" *rolls eyes*

Think this underlines we live in a media controlled world, what they pump out, becomes commen opinion very quickly, which impacts on vote clambering politicians policy.

larrythelathe

posted on 11/4/08 at 10:00 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dangle_kt
seeing as there are some knowledgeable people on here then (reading the above comments) is it true that when a volcano erupts in kicks more co2 into the atmosphere than has ever been done by man?

Super volcano true.

I read it somewhere and I am interested in how true it is.

Oh and I completely agree with the comments about Scientific theories being labeled as fact - to be honest that happens LOADS, with a lot of stuff we can only guess at - just watch a documentary on dinosaurs behavior, or evolution to hear these cast iron "facts" *rolls eyes*

Think this underlines we live in a media controlled world, what they pump out, becomes commen opinion very quickly, which impacts on vote clambering politicians policy.

agreed so research if yourself and have a educated opion.

smart51

posted on 11/4/08 at 10:01 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
Anyone noticed there's no sun spots at all right now, magnetic fields about to flip again...the 11 year cycle, one of many.

A recent study has shown that sun activity is normal and isn't the cause of recent climate change. This is sound science, not speculation.

Global warming is clearly and patently not linked to the 11 year sun cycle.

Bluemoon

posted on 11/4/08 at 10:34 AM Reply With Quote
Mr Wippy Scientists don't agree most of the time that's how it works..

A scientist proposes a theory, scientists then check/run experiments to see if the theory holds true.. It takes years and years until eventually get a consensus as to whether a theory is correct or not. Eventually the theory might become excepted as a law of physics etc..

As a scientist it is the disagreements that makes it fun and helps progress things..

Dan

JAG

posted on 11/4/08 at 10:38 AM Reply With Quote
I think the best we can do is;

1) Say that the Earth is definitely warming up.

2) The increase is over a tiny amount of time and COULD be a part of the overall warming/cooling cycle that our planet goes through every so often.

3) WE DO NOT KNOW what is causing this change.

Everything else is IMHO speculation and so far unproven.

To the 'scientists' above;

Tell us how many papers you've published (with links please) and whether any of them cover this subject before you get any more credibility than the rest of us

Justin

Who is this super hero? Sarge? ...No.
Rosemary, the telephone operator? ...No.
Penry, the mild-mannered janitor? ...Could be!

Agriv8

posted on 11/4/08 at 10:38 AM Reply With Quote
the amount of Co2 from Catle VS Co2 from Cars in a year Discuss

Ps I am all for saving fosil fuels ( I need em for my v8 )

A few years ago we were all going to die of skin cancer due to Ozone depletion. A decade before that we were going into another ice age and we were all going to need triple glazing.

Reagrds

Agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

larrythelathe

posted on 11/4/08 at 10:41 AM Reply With Quote
yup

we discussions that have to be stopped to stop all out brawls awesome at times.
larrythelathe

posted on 11/4/08 at 10:47 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JAG

2) The increase is over a tiny amount of time and COULD be a part of the overall warming/cooling cycle that our planet goes through every so often.

Tell us how many papers you've published (with links please) and whether any of them cover this subject before you get any more credibility than the rest of us
s

sure no worries i work here
www.guralp.com
one bit of my work
http://www.guralp.com/documents/PRM-POS-0001.pdf
I work in the world of obs instrumentation and harsh environments (ice caps boreholes hense we get involved in monitoring ice caps)
Name is M.Rowe theres a fair few of my papers sign By DR. guralp as i still studying.
feel free to look around i think its a cool site.

sorry should of added i am the head mechanical designer.

[Edited on 11/4/08 by larrythelathe]

coozer

posted on 11/4/08 at 11:03 AM Reply With Quote
I'm tempted to have a rant but seeing as Global Warming is now a multimillion dollar industry it will be waste of time. Too many people rely on the lies to make a living, there are even lists on the stock exchange for ISA's and the like so global warming will never go away.

Eee, I can remember the good old days when we were going to freeze to death cause CFC's had made a big hole in the earths blanket, oh, and getting the sledge out for weeks on end, digging a path to the coal house every morning...

People have very short memories and this is just the latest fad.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Bluemoon

posted on 11/4/08 at 11:12 AM Reply With Quote
No problem,

Take a look at:

http://www.atm.ox.ac.uk/project/omega/

This is the current project.

This is the group I work in:

http://www.atm.ox.ac.uk/group/eodg/eodg_people.html

My Phd was on the calibration of HIRDLS a satellite instrument designed to look at atmospheric dynamics and chemistry in the atmosphere.

Our departmental research web page is:

http://www.atm.ox.ac.uk/main/research/index.html

You will need to remember that I am an instrumentation scientist (why else would I be building a car!).

Some of my work (not uptodate, you will need to search for publications by D.M. Peters):

Peters, D.M., Grainger, R.G., Optical properties of Saharan Dust, in preparation, 2007.

Peters. DM, et. al., Radiometric Calibration of HIRDLS, in preparation, 2007.

Peters. D.M., Grainger, R.G., Thomas, G., Irshard, R. McPheat, R.A., Laboratory measurements of the complex refractive index of Saharan dust aerosol, EGU poster, 2007.

Peters, DM, Grainger, R.G, Measurements of the Optical Properties of Volcanic Ash: Current Satus, poster presentation, COSMAS annual meeting, 2004

Peters, DM, Radiometric Calibration of the High Resolution Dynamics Limb Sounder, D.Phil thesis, University of Oxford, 2004

Peters, DM, Measurements of the Optical Properties of Volcanic Ash, poster presentation, Royal Metrological Society Conference, 2003

Peters, DM, Grainger, RG, Measurements of the Optical Properties of Volcanic Ash, Proceedings of Aerosols in the UTLS workshop, 2003

Barnett, JJ, Bracken, JN, Djotni, K, Hepplewhite, CL, Moorhouse, JL, Oduleye, OO, Palmer, CWP, Peters, DM, Rokke, LA, Walton, TW, Watkins, REJ, Whitney, JG, Gille, JC, Arter, PI, Eden, TD, Nardi, B, Pre-launch calibration of the NASA AURA HIRDLS instrument, Infrared Spaceborne Remote Sensing XI, 5152,172-180, 2003

Barnett, JJ, Djotni, K, Hepplewhite, CL, Oduleye, OO, Palmer, CWP, Peters, DM, Walton, TW, Watkins, REJ, Whitney, JG, Gille, JC, Arter, PL, Nardi, B, Mirror emissivity measurements for the NASA AURA HIRDLS instrument, Infrared Spaceborne Remote Sensing XI, 5152, 238-246, 2003

Eden, TD, Gille, JC, Barnett, JJ, Arter, P, Hepplewhite, CL, Palmer, CWP, Peters, DM, Watkins, REJ, Whitney, JG, Radiometric calibration of the HIRDLS flight instrument from pre-launch calibration data, Infrared Spaceborne Remote Sensing XI, 5152, 231-237, 2003

Hepplewhite, CL, Watkins, REJ, Row, F, Barnett, JJ, Peters, D, Palmer, CWP, Wolfenden, R, Djotni, K, Arter, P, HIRDLS instrument radiometric calibration black body targets, Infrared Spaceborne Remote Sensing XI, 5152, 223-230, 2003

Peters, DM, Watkins, REJ, Stable space-based encapsulated platinum resistance thermometry over the range -9 degrees C to 50 degrees C, Temperature: Its Measurement and Control in Science and Industry, 7, pts. 1 and 2, 684 , 1115-1120, 2003

quote:
Originally posted by JAG

Hellfire

posted on 11/4/08 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
JAG - get your coat...

Steve

Benzine

posted on 11/4/08 at 11:44 AM Reply With Quote
You can prove anything with facts
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MikeR

posted on 11/4/08 at 12:07 PM Reply With Quote
good god .... here we go.

ok, sun warming - proposed by a scandanavian, promoted by everyone who didn't want to believe CLIMATE CHANGE (don't call it global warming please). Most scientists didn't believe it - but as it was what lots of people wanted to hear it was promoted.

Recently debunked by scientists from (i think) Lancaster and Reading. I believe there work has / is being peer reviewed and no one has found fault with it (yet).

CFC-s yep we messed up the ozone layer, luckily it stuck over the south pole, its now slowly reducing from being something like the size of America. Thank god we stopped using CFC's eh.

Ice age approaching / 26 other reasons why we're not going through climate change - read here.

http://environment.newscientist.com/channel/earth/dn11462

please, honestly PLEASE do read. Its very interesting, presented in an easy to understand way and explains why the theory arose and why its now no longer believed along with lots of other crap sprouted by people.

Obviously if you want to keep your head in the sand and ignore the facts - then don't bother, but please shut up when people who have looked into this subject, who have researched it, who's lifes work is on the subject speak. They might just know a little more than someone like you or me who've read the the Sun or Mirror in the morning.

Edited to add a (yet) and to apologise as i've just ranted a bit, its friday and i'm annoyed with work, you lot got the brunt of it, but this topic frustrates me.

[Edited on 11/4/08 by MikeR]

Benzine

posted on 11/4/08 at 12:16 PM Reply With Quote
tl;dr
<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.