Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Is anyone running a car on lpg.
Danozeman

posted on 16/4/08 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
Is anyone running a car on lpg.

As above. Does anyone have a tintop on lpg? Im contemplating getting a vag 1.8t and converting it. Just wondered how cheap to run lpg is compared to straight petrol? Any loss of power etc.

Anyone diy fitted a kit?

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

zilspeed

posted on 16/4/08 at 08:59 PM Reply With Quote
Yes, I've done it.

Power on LPG, now same as petrol now I have it mapped properly.

Car does 40mpg on Petrol and 30mpg on gas. Does about 110 miles for a tenner of LPG.

And yes, I diy fitted it.

System is Aldesa RSI+

blakep82

posted on 16/4/08 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
my mum bought a peugeot with lpg already fitted. it seems alright. no noticeable power loss on gas (peugeots are a bit low on power for my liking anyway. don't know why she insisted on getting another one...), though the idle's a bit rough on gas.

i think mpg is a bit down on gas vs petrol, but bearing in mind the price of gas it still works out cheaper.

mmm, still undecided whether i'd bother running lpg myself. its quite good, but i'm not completely sold on it myself i think

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Mr Whippy

posted on 16/4/08 at 10:08 PM Reply With Quote
I looked in to getting my carby cars done, but got no where in the end. All the systems I looked at were over 1k even for DIY which I think is utter cr4p for something so simple plus the seemed to suffer from backfiring a lot with tails of manifolds exploding (no I didn't believe that either) but they seemed to leave a lot to be desired.

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
blakep82

posted on 16/4/08 at 10:19 PM Reply With Quote
whippy, you don't instill me with confidence but can it be done on carbed cars? i'm was considering doing it to the pickup, but being as its on bike carbs, i wasn't sure it could be done.

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Thinking about it

posted on 16/4/08 at 10:43 PM Reply With Quote
I think it can be done on carbed cars. Years ago a company I worked for used an ouside transport company. They had Transit vans with big gas bottles in the back instead of a tank. Probably not leagal but it kept their fuel costs down even then back in the early eighties.
blakep82

posted on 16/4/08 at 10:47 PM Reply With Quote
i can see in injected cars how the fuel could be stopped by just switching off the injectors, but can't see how it would work with a carb

Mr Whippy

posted on 17/4/08 at 12:11 AM Reply With Quote
To be honest I think there have been a lot of deliberate lies put out by companies who fit kits to try to dissuade people from doing a DIY LPG conversion. Things like needing a Corgi certification (bo!!ocks), needing a thin walled cylinder which happens to cost several hundred pound instead of a standard industrial gas cylinder (which must be at least ten times stronger and the crappy car type). The rubbish about manifolds exploding, Jesus I’ve poured cupfuls of petrol down manifolds with 2ft flames and huge bangs and never seen even a bent butterfly valve! I don’t think for a minute a 5mm thick aluminium manifold is going to explode!! At worst it might blow the vacuum hose off and I ain’t seen that happen either…

I looked over a works LPG forklift that I used to use and it was nothing more than a utterly standard Toyota car engine with a half baked gas mixer thing consisting of a small pipe into the middle of the inlet, a rotary valve to control the amount of gas released linked to the throttle by a rod and a solenoid valve to shut the gas on and off with the ignition, that was it nothing more and it ran great with bags of power! Oh yes and it also had an aluminium manifold…that never blow up.

One other thing to bare in mind is that if you are using a car type tank with only a filling station pump filler you are then stuck with what ever the gas costs at a filling station, which I have noticed is going up quite a bit. Fit a standard gas bottle and you can just buy the gas at ordinary rates without the tax hikes.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
triumphdave

posted on 17/4/08 at 05:18 AM Reply With Quote
I have been running my explorer on LPG for a couple of years know,well pleased with it.I can not tell the difference when it changes over.Paying 43p a litre

If you always do what you have always done you will always get what you have always got

Danozeman

posted on 17/4/08 at 05:45 AM Reply With Quote
Carbd cars can be done. Iv found kits for 500 quid for carbs. The only way i can see that it stops the fuel is it shuts the fuel to the carb and lets the bowl run dry. How else could you do it?

Im trying to compare an lpg'd car running cost compared to a TDi as veg oil has gone through the roof. Plus i quite fancy doing a conversion just to have a go.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

speedyxjs

posted on 17/4/08 at 06:49 AM Reply With Quote
I have been thinking about LPG but the problem i see is that, give it a few years and LPG will be the same price as petrol. I would consider Mr Whippys idea but whats to stop them hiking the price up on that too just as they have done with veggie oil?

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

pawgrp

posted on 17/4/08 at 07:01 AM Reply With Quote
I'm looking to buy my own 2500l tank ( Wefco, Gainsborough,£950 ) and buying from whoever is cheapest, currently 28p/l. Will then run workshop heating and two vehicles on it.
Puk

posted on 17/4/08 at 07:27 AM Reply With Quote
I've got a juicy Voyager - its got a 3.3V6 and returns 20 - 24 mpg I had intended to go the LPG route, but they don't sell it around here (Denmark). Maybe there is a way of getting a supply via one of my farmer mates or a trucking company. Mr. Whippy what other purposes is LPG sold for?

Before you judge a guy, walk a mile in his shoes. Then when you judge him, you're a mile a way and you've nicked his shoes.

Mr Whippy

posted on 17/4/08 at 07:53 AM Reply With Quote
What is not used for? I have 3 cylinders in the garage alone and 2 in the caravan.

My last house had a huge one outside for the heating. These cylinders are drop tested, set on fire and have heavy gauge steel construction making the so called car tanks look like drinks cans in comparison.

quote:
Carbd cars can be done. Iv found kits for 500 quid for carbs
quote:

Got a link to that kit?

[Edited on 17/4/08 by Mr Whippy]

Puk

posted on 17/4/08 at 08:01 AM Reply With Quote
Is LPG propane / butane? Is that what the Toyota motor in the forklift that you mentioned?

Are wikipedia has the answer, its a mix of the two plus a little ethanethiol, so that you can smell any leaks: linky.

Thanks for the steer

[Edited on 17/4/08 by Puk]

Before you judge a guy, walk a mile in his shoes. Then when you judge him, you're a mile a way and you've nicked his shoes.

Puk

posted on 17/4/08 at 08:04 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy

Got a link to that kit?

Looks promising

Mr Whippy

posted on 17/4/08 at 08:38 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Puk
Is LPG propane / butane? Is that what the Toyota motor in the forklift that you mentioned?

all the industrial machinery I've seen running on gas has been using these gas cylinders which are just clamped on. That site looks good, I'll ask them for a price breakdown and see if they can supply components rather than whole kits.

cheers.

------

ok I have e-mail the company this...

Hello,

I am wondering if you could give me details for a large car builders forum, as many are interested in converting their cars to LPG but do not know enough about the system in terms of cost and problems.

I personally am interested in converting 3 of my cars – a Nissan Bluebird 1800 petrol automatic, JBA Falcon kit car using a 2000 Ford pinto carburettor engine & VW beetle based dune buggy with a 1600 air-cooled flat four.

I live in Scotland and the LPG is quite available here but most kits are sold only for injection cars plus kits are very expensive. Do you sell individual components or just complete kits? I would be quite happy to use industrial cylinders rather than dedicated car tanks but wonder if you have heard of people having had problems using such cylinders in cars. I would like to completely remove the petrol tank and carburettor, is the realistic or will I initially have to run on petrol till the engine heats up, also how would the petrol be shut off? (a question asked this morning).

Any information and guides to prices would be very helpful to myself and other member of the forum who live in many different countries. The engines used by other members range from motorbike engined cars to 4ltr v12 engines so I can not be too specific with those.

Thanks,

Puk

posted on 17/4/08 at 09:13 AM Reply With Quote
I'll be interested to see what they come back with. Actually I had also emailed them, though with a more specific question about my Chrysler and the possibility of using butane or propane instead of LPG. I'll post whatever comes back.

Cheers,
James

graememk

posted on 17/4/08 at 09:16 AM Reply With Quote
make sure you put a sign on the car as i feel for the firefighters that come to put burning cars out then get blown up as the bottle goes.

Peteff

posted on 17/4/08 at 09:51 AM Reply With Quote
You can't fit a removable fuel tank to a road going vehicle and still pass an MOT. The LPG tanks on fork trucks use different connectors to camping and heating gas bottles.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Mr Whippy

posted on 17/4/08 at 10:12 AM Reply With Quote
well the calor gas tanks are fire tested, and can be fitted with the same pressure relief valves used on the car tanks so they vent gas in a fire rather than explode. If you bolt in the tank it's about as removable as a petrol tank. All the fuel filler connections are fitted to the car shell and not the tank it's self so there is no difference in connecting them to either tank. The forklift I used had exactly the same connector and tank to the ones I have in the caravan and garage.

britishtrident

posted on 17/4/08 at 11:30 AM Reply With Quote
Pay back time for a modern four cylinder doing 30 mpg on petrol is a about 12 to 18 months depending mileage.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

britishtrident

posted on 17/4/08 at 11:32 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by triumphdave
I have been running my explorer on LPG for a couple of years know,well pleased with it.I can not tell the difference when it changes over.Paying 43p a litre

43p a litre is pretty good prices I have seen quoted are about 55p.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

blakep82

posted on 17/4/08 at 11:33 AM Reply With Quote
49-59p round here

Peteff

posted on 17/4/08 at 12:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
The forklift I used had exactly the same connector and tank to the ones I have in the caravan and garage.

The ones we used have larger unions with a hand tightened nut and a much coarser thread than our camping bottles which have a thread for the standard regulator and a hexagonal nut.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.