Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: MG ZR / good or bad - Opinions please
ditchlewis

posted on 24/4/08 at 03:47 PM Reply With Quote
MG ZR / good or bad - Opinions please

Hi Guys

the eldest is looking at MG ZR 105's are they any good? he has got his insurance money through for his last car and he needs a new car. He is very style concious and is more interested in looks rather than go

are they any good ?

what are the common faults and things to look out for?

what is the parts supply like since Rover went Bump.

many thanks

Ditch

[Edited on 24/4/08 by ditchlewis]

Mr Whippy

posted on 24/4/08 at 03:59 PM Reply With Quote
first thing that popped into my head was parts availablity...

not a great looking car is it?

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
caber

posted on 24/4/08 at 04:06 PM Reply With Quote
I'll have the engine when he writes it off, it is a K series isn't it

Caber

DarrenW

posted on 24/4/08 at 04:23 PM Reply With Quote
I quite like them.

Front tie rod brackets / bolts have been known to snap. Cheap and easy to do.
I dont think there is anything especially bad about them over any other car in that size / price bracket.

I cant imagine parts supply will be an issue as quite a few have been sold and aftermarket companies like to make money.

Usual rules apply - get a good one and he should be ok.

ditchlewis

posted on 24/4/08 at 04:24 PM Reply With Quote
When I look at one I think CHAV

but kids well they think they look fast. I've tried him with the focus but "thats an old mans car"

peugot 206 no good

the New Astra he likes but it is well out of his budget unless he gets one with 120K on the clock.

parts was my concern, but a check on the web and a filter and plug servicing kit can be got for under £30.

other parts will be available on ebay i supose ?

ditch

Hammerhead

posted on 24/4/08 at 04:44 PM Reply With Quote
MX5?

twybrow

posted on 24/4/08 at 05:15 PM Reply With Quote
Its a rover 114 in a fancy suit. They go ok, but a bit rolly in the corners. I would look out for the usal K-series related faults (head gasket relted normally). As for parts availability - I would not see it being a problem. Afterall, Rover din't make spare parts, they just sold 'em! I am fairly sure Ford stopped making Cortinas a while back, but you can still buy all the parts you need for them!

smart51

posted on 24/4/08 at 05:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy

Despite scare mongering, there's no problem with this. The spares business was sold before rover went pop and they're in it for the business. You don't get business by not getting the parts. Plus, all the parts manufacturers are bound by an agreement to supply parts for 10 years after the model goes out of production. It is part of the conditions of getting the initial contract. The contracts would have been transferred when the parts business was sold. There'll be no problem getting parts.

[Edited on 24-4-2008 by smart51]

madmandegge

posted on 24/4/08 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
Had a R200 1.4 16v as my first car, nicer to drive than the Punto Sporting I have now!
Had MGZR suspension on it, drove quite well I thought!
What about a 306? Do you mind us asking what the top of the range budget is? I wouldn't consider a ZR now, mainly because as mentioned, they're Rover 200's with body kits
For the price of a 105 you could probably get a Golf TDi with high miles? Or indeed a diesel version of the new astra like you've mentioned? Or! If a ZR is favoured, the rover diesel's aren't brilliant on power, but seem to keep going for a rather long time.
Don't think the 2 litre diesel version was much more expensive insurance wise?

[Edited on 24/4/08 by madmandegge]

Simon

posted on 24/4/08 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
Wife's got a ZR160 which is quite a laugh. Rolling in bends is crap comment

So is the not very powerful diesel comment. Until the latest gen german stuff the ZR deisel was one of the quickest "diesel hatches" with the added benefit that it was thrash a orius in the combined cycle (official was 72.8 mpg).

Window winder mechs can fail - just replaced the wifes one.

ATB

Simon

ditchlewis

posted on 24/4/08 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
his budget is about 5.5k

a lot for a 19 year old but he pays the loan

insurance is a big factor, and he is using my no claims at the moment. he need to check that he can even get insurance to be put onto a ZR.

he loves the Golf (i had a PD150) and would like one but again he only wants a gti with leather like i had

kids who would have them

the mx5 is a no even if i would love one. i've even suggested the seat leon and skoda fabia as they are volkswagens in diguise

just dont know what he is going to look at this weekend.

ditch

Griffo

posted on 24/4/08 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by twybrow
Its a rover 114 in a fancy suit. They go ok, but a bit rolly in the corners. I would look out for the usal K-series related faults (head gasket relted normally). As for parts availability - I would not see it being a problem. Afterall, Rover din't make spare parts, they just sold 'em! I am fairly sure Ford stopped making Cortinas a while back, but you can still buy all the parts you need for them!

Its actually a 214 in a fancy suit (the 114 is a metro which is silly quick if its the 16v but thats a different matter)

I have a 1999 R214 16v and have had it for 4 years it has pretty much all the same parts as the ZR105 part from body work obviousally. there are literally hundreds of 214s in scrappys if you want parts.

As far as the body roll in corners goes i have no idea about a 105 as it has better suspension than my rover but performance wise there are very few 1.4's in its class that can match it. That is sadly reflected in the fuel economy though

The ZR engines should if i remember correctly all be the newer wasted spark K's that are less prone to head gasket faliure (note the word 'less' mine went and cost me £600. other than that I had a bearing go in the gearbox which cost £300. Bare in mind that this is a Treg which has now covered 75k miles.

As someone mentioned earlier, the Diesel ZR is really really REALLY good!!!! its very quick and alot more economical than the 105.

Is it the MKI or MKII he is looking at getting, IMO the MKII looks so much better.

has he considered a ZS?

Griffo

posted on 24/4/08 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
just double checked

the TD(115PS) is 1 sec quicker 0-6
and returns 10mpg gallon more. might even be cheaper isurance group

on the downside its a group 11 where as the 105 is group 9 which is very high for what it is IMHO.

my rover (identical performance figures) is group 7

dave r

posted on 24/4/08 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote

Is it the MKI or MKII he is looking at getting, IMO the MKII looks so much better.

has he considered a ZS?

mk2 looks better but seems softer suspension
i loved my mk1

Mark Allanson

posted on 24/4/08 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by smart51
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy

Despite scare mongering, there's no problem with this. The spares business was sold before rover went pop and they're in it for the business. You don't get business by not getting the parts. Plus, all the parts manufacturers are bound by an agreement to supply parts for 10 years after the model goes out of production. It is part of the conditions of getting the initial contract. The contracts would have been transferred when the parts business was sold. There'll be no problem getting parts.

[Edited on 24-4-2008 by smart51]

..and then I woke up!

I run a bodyshop and parts are a real pain in the nuts, caterpillar own the parts franchise but seem too preoccupied making trainers to bother with Rover bits.

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

madmandegge

posted on 24/4/08 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Simon
So is the not very powerful diesel comment. Until the latest gen german stuff the ZR deisel was one of the quickest "diesel hatches" with the added benefit that it was thrash a orius in the combined cycle (official was 72.8 mpg).

I knew the MPG was high, didn't see figures that high though, and it was a van, so less weight in the back.
Well again it didn't seem fast to me, comparing to, for example, a Golf Diesel of the same age? I must be wrong though

edit - I was looking for golf's myself a few months ago before I bought the MK, I'm 20 with no no claims (been on my dad's insurance too) and the GT TDi 115ps seemed like a good compromise, insurance wasn't very high, should find a nice one for that much too!
Are you with an insurer that will give him a bonus for being a named driver and not claiming?

[Edited on 24/4/08 by madmandegge]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.