Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: R1 Cam Sensor - I'm confused!
lsdweb

posted on 28/4/08 at 09:05 AM Reply With Quote
R1 Cam Sensor - I'm confused!

Hi All

I’m trying to set up my ECU on my R1 and can’t seem to work out the setup for the cam sensor.

The sensor is a three wire unit so presumably it’s inductive?

The sensor picks up on a gap in a circular part of the cam, rather than a tooth – so does this mean the sensor is ‘on’ until it sees the gap, i.e. ‘on’ for about 340 degrees?

This gap is positioned so that it passes the sensor after the cam (exhaust) has turned around 90 degrees from its position at TDC. So, is that 180 degrees after TDC ? One camshaft revolution to two engine revolutions?

I’m confused! Would I be better off just wiring the coils and injectors so that I run on wasted spark and grouped injection settings instead (I’m not sure if the coils will have sufficient recovery time etc.)

Wyn

cossey
Contributor

Posts 430
Registered 5/12/05
Location Kent

Photo Archive Go!
Building: a pile of bits that will someday be a fisher fury

posted on 28/4/08 at 11:44 AM Reply With Quote
the cam sensor is a hall sensor so the wires are 5v from the ecu, ground and output signal.

i havent checked mine but it could either be usually 5v and dropping to 0v when the slot comes or vice versa depending on the sensor.

i would strongly suggest against wasted spark on bike engines as when i did formula student we tried and found that it very quickly cooked the coils. in the end we could only get about an hours use out of them on the dyno till we got the sequential spark working.

Havent you got an emerald ecu? i ask becasue when i looked into getting one the spec said it only had 3 spark drives so could only do wasted spark which is why i didnt get one.

[Edited on 28/4/08 by cossey]

lsdweb

posted on 28/4/08 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks cossey

I'll check the sensor later - I have a spare engine with the cams out so it should be easy enough to check the signal.

I do have the Emerald ECU - I've just checked - it only has three coil drivers! It looks like I have not a lot of choice - oh bu**er! I'll email Emerald to ask if there any upgrade options - they've been really helpful to date.

Wyn

Coose

posted on 28/4/08 at 12:16 PM Reply With Quote
Carb'd R1's are wasted spark already - can't you use coils from those?

Spin 'er off Well...

lsdweb

posted on 28/4/08 at 12:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Carb'd R1's are wasted spark already - can't you use coils from those?

I probably could - the later R1's are different as they are coil on plug (stick) type.

I'm tempted to try the existing ones on wasted spark to see if it'll run right for next weekend (sprint then hillclimb). The engine doesn't run for much time anyway so I may get away with it. I did run the last engine (5JJ) on wasted spark and had no coil problems.

I'll then see what solution Emerald will come up with - adding an additional coil driver may not be difficult although if it was that easy they would have done it already!

Regards

Wyn

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.