Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Projector tellys
Mr Whippy

posted on 29/4/08 at 10:33 AM Reply With Quote
Projector tellys

How long do the bulbs last in general for the overhead projector tellys, a friend has one and says the bulbs are like £300! anyone got one? I like the idea of being able to use the whole living room wall as the screen, LCD ones look tiny in comparison.

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
blakep82

posted on 29/4/08 at 10:42 AM Reply With Quote
you want a tiny LCD?
http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/lg/100inch-lcd-from-lg-196765.php

and yes, the bulbs are about £300...
http://www.misco.co.uk/applications/category/category_slc.asp?CatId=2448

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Mr Whippy

posted on 29/4/08 at 10:54 AM Reply With Quote
!!

whats wrong with a £10 car headlamp bulb?!?! bonkers price

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
blakep82

posted on 29/4/08 at 10:57 AM Reply With Quote
i don't even think they're the buld for tv projectors...
go locost and make your own :L

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

MikeR

posted on 29/4/08 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
First time i watched kill bill was at my house via my mates work projector. There was something ever so impressive with the screen being over 6' wide across the bottom edge (not diagonal).

Always hankered after a projector ever since but things like the cost of the bulb puts me off.

tegwin

posted on 29/4/08 at 11:41 AM Reply With Quote
If you consider that the average bulb life should be somewhere around 1500 hours.....

Provided you dont leave the projector switched on all the time, and make sure its allowed to cool properly before you move it, its going to last a while isnt it!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

blakep82

posted on 29/4/08 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tegwin
If you consider that the average bulb life should be somewhere around 1500 hours.....

Provided you dont leave the projector switched on all the time, and make sure its allowed to cool properly before you move it, its going to last a while isnt it!

hmm, say for instance though, you're tv's on for about 12 hours a day (mine is... well, at the moment while i'm off work anyway) thats only 125 day.

unless you mean 15000 hours, but thats a VERY long time.

tegwin

posted on 29/4/08 at 12:55 PM Reply With Quote
No....1500-2000 hours is roughly the norm for a projector bulb....

12 hours a day is a bit extreme!...LOL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

matt_claydon

posted on 29/4/08 at 12:55 PM Reply With Quote
Put simply, 1500 hours at £300 pounds is 20 pence per hour. Worth it? I decided it wasn't when I was considering a projector.

Probably OK if you only use it to watch films and stuff, but if you do all your telly watching on it it's pretty pricey to watch crap!

snapper

posted on 29/4/08 at 01:03 PM Reply With Quote
I have dealings with all sorts of projection systems through my second hat at work looking after the Briefing centre and other conference rooms (as well as providing all the photography and supporting video production) in the agency.

Rear projection TV's are... old technology, huge, dim, and tend to be low resolution.
If had to project i would use one of the small projectors.
The concensus seems to be LCD upto 37 inch Plasma over that

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

RazMan

posted on 29/4/08 at 01:05 PM Reply With Quote
I've had two rear projection TVs (which are more or less similar technology)

Never, ever again - they lasted a few years then one 'bulb' blew but it was impossible to replace on its own due to calibration issues, so THREE of the blighters had to be replaced. I complained so much to Sony that they gave me a replacement which lasted another few years and the whole story started again

50" Plasma now - God know how much THAT is going to cost when something goes pop!

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

greggers

posted on 29/4/08 at 01:46 PM Reply With Quote
As someone's said build one yourself... I found a really good guide not so long ago but can't find the link... This is the best Google had to offer!

Clickety_Click

awinter

posted on 29/4/08 at 01:55 PM Reply With Quote
Projectors can be had for around £3-400, its the power on off cylcle that kills them, I work in a school and sometimes the projector can be left on fro a week or 2 constantly during the holidays, Hitachi panasonic.. Some of them are 3 years old and have never had a bulb changed. Optoma are good and the bulbs very reasonably priced. We have a £750 3500 ansi lumen optoma onto a 4x4m (yes meter) electric screen and the picture is awsome for the size. We have a few epson new ones and they are excellent and a new bulb can be had for £80 via RM if you work in a school. In 3 years time prices will have dropped massivly and it'll be cheaper to get a new projector than to buy a new bulb. DLP are less hassle than LCD but LCD gives better picture. There are filters to clean regularly with the LCD projectors. Have seen projector tv's and the picture quality is awful.
HD projectors are a little on expensive side.
Ta

Allan

contaminated

posted on 29/4/08 at 02:49 PM Reply With Quote
I've got an Epson projector in my back room mounted upside down on the ceiling. Pretty cool driving round The Ring on a 8 foot screen!

I use it for films, playstation, digital telly and the Wii. I broadcast the signal to the projector wirelessly using a box I bought from Maplin for £50.

Not looking forward to a bulb going, however it has a shut down cycle and automatically shuts off if it gets too hot.

The further back you position it the bigger the picture, but you need the curtains shut during the day.

Jubal

posted on 29/4/08 at 03:21 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.lumenlab.com/S15_PDF/Lumenlab_DIY_projector_guide_v2.0.pdf

Looks interesting!

philw

posted on 29/4/08 at 07:09 PM Reply With Quote
I have a Phillps LCD HD projector, the picture is /was amazing but the bulb has just gone, £500 ish for a new one F***k me, it'll have to wait as the summer is coming and the car needs finishing.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.