Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: My new, curved windscreen
Mave

posted on 3/5/08 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
My new, curved windscreen

Today I had my first drive with my new windscreen in place. As you can see, it has a slight curvature in it. I'm really happy with the result, but it was A LOT of work, and wouldn't do it again.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
speedyxjs

posted on 3/5/08 at 06:52 PM Reply With Quote
Very nice
Where did you get that windscreen surround from?

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

Mr Whippy

posted on 3/5/08 at 07:09 PM Reply With Quote
very fancy car

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Griffo

posted on 3/5/08 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
Very very nice.

EDIT: out of interest what is it made out of and how did you go bout curving it?

[Edited on 3/5/08 by Griffo]

Mave

posted on 3/5/08 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
It's laminated glass. Custom made. I supplied them the flat pattern, and the radius of curvature I wanted, and they made it. It was made by a company called Autoglas D&K here in Holland (link)

I made the carbon cover myself, as well as the actual windscreen frame. The basis is steel tubing, cut and welded a zillion times to get the complex curvature..... The frame has two legs that extend through the scuttle and bolt to the chassis.

Mr Whippy

posted on 3/5/08 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mave
It's laminated glass. Custom made. I supplied them the flat pattern, and the radius of curvature I wanted, and they made it. It was made by a company called Autoglas D&K here in Holland (link)

I made the carbon cover myself, as well as the actual windscreen frame. The basis is steel tubing, cut and welded a zillion times to get the complex curvature..... The frame has two legs that extend through the scuttle and bolt to the chassis.

wow there's dedication

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

RazMan

posted on 4/5/08 at 07:58 AM Reply With Quote
Nice job! It's surprising what such a subtle curve does for the looks of the car.

Just a little bit of constructive criticism - the CF surround look a little heavy. Can you trim a little bit off it to make it thinner?

All IMHO of course

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

dr-fastlane

posted on 4/5/08 at 09:26 AM Reply With Quote
Hey Marcel,

That looks great, i like the donkey look of it. One other question, can you give me the hella number of the front blinkers?

Roy.

[Edited on 4/5/08 by dr-fastlane]

------------------------------
I have not failed once. I have successfully found ways that will not work!

https://www.motor-forum.nl/threads/hardtail-dragstyle-project.343482/

Mave

posted on 5/5/08 at 04:29 PM Reply With Quote
Nah, I can't trim anything off, and neither do I want to. I see what you mean, but to me it makes the car look a bit more modern, and that's how I like it.

@Roy; the number on the glass is 152 128. I don't know if it's of any help. But is just a regular Hella light; normally it has three mounting tabs around the circumference, but I cut them off.

dr-fastlane

posted on 5/5/08 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
Big thanks for that one

------------------------------
I have not failed once. I have successfully found ways that will not work!

https://www.motor-forum.nl/threads/hardtail-dragstyle-project.343482/

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.