Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Towing Help (Ring Visit)
Kriss

posted on 9/5/08 at 09:47 AM Reply With Quote
Towing Help (Ring Visit)

Hi guys,

I am planning a trip with a group of mates to the Nurburgring in August or Seotember. We just got back from 3 days there and at Spa on Tuesday and we just cant weait to get back there. I should hope to have my R1 MK by then, if not a lot lot sooner. I just dont know how I would get on driving it hundreds of miles there. I live in Surrey, and as a round trip my mates who tracked their cars did a tad over 1000 miles.

Would you guys trust a BEC lasting that long on a motorway?

I do have access to a 55 reg zetec focus of my parents so would only need to hire a trailor (Under £100 for a week) and buy a tow bar.

My tin top is a T reg 1.2 clio, she is a work horse doing 400 miles a week, but I think Iw ould ruin the engine and transmission towing a car with it.

What are my options? Towing a car means more expensive crossing and cost. Driving the R1 means stopping every 100 miles and whacking on a load of miles.

Can you hire cars with tow bars fitted? Any other opinions or suggestions?

gingerprince

posted on 9/5/08 at 09:50 AM Reply With Quote
could you drive it over then hire a car/trailer in france? save you the expensive crossing.
Paul TigerB6

posted on 9/5/08 at 09:52 AM Reply With Quote
If you are planning on doing a fair bit of track work then maybe its worth looking out for a cheap-ish trailer?? Track days are always going to put more strain on the car so i would say it would be a worthwhile investment if doing anything more than the very occasional track day. I've seen them on this site amongst others from £300 or so.
Kriss

posted on 9/5/08 at 09:55 AM Reply With Quote
Storing the trailor would be a night mare and also I will not have regular access to the Focus of my parents. Its just a one off so I can do the trip.

Would the clio just dies towing a car that far?

Guinness

posted on 9/5/08 at 09:56 AM Reply With Quote
It's a tricky one this, and one that has played on my mind lots too!

Personally, I can get the ferry from Newcastle to Amsterdam. This cuts the road miles down a bit, so I'm tempted to just drive, rather than trailer it.

TBH, if you are happy that your car is sorted enough to cope with the ring, then serveral hundred motorway miles are going to be easy in comparison.

Once the car is built, do several hundred road miles, a couple of track days etc, to get all the little teething problems ironed out. Then go to the ring.

HTH

Mike

Werner Van Loock

posted on 9/5/08 at 10:00 AM Reply With Quote
Could use a A-frame instead of trailer, weights a lot less and your clio might be able to pull it then.

[Edited on 9/5/08 by Werner Van Loock]

http://www.clubstylus.be

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
wilkingj

posted on 9/5/08 at 10:05 AM Reply With Quote
Do you expect the engine to last 1000 miles driving it around the UK this year to shows and trackdays etc?

Drive it there... but take it nice and steady (which is difficult to do)

Check what the "Maximum Braked Trailer Towing Limit" is in the hand books of any car you are thinking of using as a tow vehicle.

As a caravanner of many years, Follow the Caravan club guidance of the Trailer (and Load) not exceeding 85% of the towing vehicles weight. Believe me this is GOOD advice.
The less the percentage is the better, and easier to drive.

If the trailer weight INCLUDING the load exceeds 750kgs (probably will) you will need over-run brakes on the trailer by law (certainly in this country)

You will be restricted in your travel speeds by towing as well. 60Mph in the UK, and whatever abrooad. (Also advisable if towing at max weights and percentages)

Its all very well going fast with a trailer, but when it goes wrong, it goes wrong VERY QUICKLY. So be aware of this and drive within the limits of the roads, the vehicles, and your limits as a driver.

I have seen several cars overturned BY the caravan when they lost control by the van "snaking"
Towing that distance, fork out on a stabaliser bar, costs about £60, but makes towing a lot safer. Easy to fit as well.

Have a look on the Caravan Club site, and the AA sites, they have good info on towing, especially if its your first long towing trip.

After all you want to arrive safely so you can enjoy the trackday.

have a good time, and enjoy the trip. Dont spoil it by trying to save a few quid... BE SAFE.

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
britishtrident

posted on 9/5/08 at 10:07 AM Reply With Quote
Towing with a Focus hmmm last one I hired was a 1.4 it was so high geared I found my self having to use 3rd gear going up hill on a Portuguese motorway even 3rd it was struggling.
gingerprince

posted on 9/5/08 at 10:11 AM Reply With Quote
You'll kill a 1.2 clio towing a seven! I tow with my 2 litre turbocharged impreza, but even still think a diesel would be a better option (except i ain't buying a diesel )
worX

posted on 9/5/08 at 10:17 AM Reply With Quote
Good advice, heed it!

Me, I'd just drive the car over there for sure!

I don't know for certain how many miles I've done in the "summer" months of last year, but never had a problem at all!

Steve
quote:
Originally posted by wilkingj
Do you expect the engine to last 1000 miles driving it around the UK this year to shows and trackdays etc?

Drive it there... but take it nice and steady (which is difficult to do)

Check what the "Maximum Braked Trailer Towing Limit" is in the hand books of any car you are thinking of using as a tow vehicle.

As a caravanner of many years, Follow the Caravan club guidance of the Trailer (and Load) not exceeding 85% of the towing vehicles weight. Believe me this is GOOD advice.
The less the percentage is the better, and easier to drive.

If the trailer weight INCLUDING the load exceeds 750kgs (probably will) you will need over-run brakes on the trailer by law (certainly in this country)

You will be restricted in your travel speeds by towing as well. 60Mph in the UK, and whatever abrooad. (Also advisable if towing at max weights and percentages)

Its all very well going fast with a trailer, but when it goes wrong, it goes wrong VERY QUICKLY. So be aware of this and drive within the limits of the roads, the vehicles, and your limits as a driver.

I have seen several cars overturned BY the caravan when they lost control by the van "snaking"
Towing that distance, fork out on a stabaliser bar, costs about £60, but makes towing a lot safer. Easy to fit as well.

Have a look on the Caravan Club site, and the AA sites, they have good info on towing, especially if its your first long towing trip.

After all you want to arrive safely so you can enjoy the trackday.

have a good time, and enjoy the trip. Dont spoil it by trying to save a few quid... BE SAFE.

Kriss

posted on 9/5/08 at 10:23 AM Reply With Quote
I trust the car will be built to a high standard, as the BEC Centre are building ot from scratch. I do not expact there to be any teething issues either. (Sure there will be issues, but I doubt anything mega horrible)

I think its just the journey, sitting on the motorways for 700 miles in a kit car would be horrible and uncomfy. A blast for 3 miles in the UK down to Brighton isnt an issue for me though.

I cant help but think that bikers have it harder though, and they tour the whole of Europe. Am i just being a pussy?

worX

posted on 9/5/08 at 10:43 AM Reply With Quote
Yes...

quote:
Originally posted by Kriss
I trust the car will be built to a high standard, as the BEC Centre are building ot from scratch. I do not expact there to be any teething issues either. (Sure there will be issues, but I doubt anything mega horrible)

I think its just the journey, sitting on the motorways for 700 miles in a kit car would be horrible and uncomfy. A blast for 3 miles in the UK down to Brighton isnt an issue for me though.

I cant help but think that bikers have it harder though, and they tour the whole of Europe. Am i just being a pussy?

Kriss

posted on 9/5/08 at 10:44 AM Reply With Quote
thought just as much.

Am I gonna get a headache sitting at 90mph on a motorway for 4-5 hours?

Ipod and Simpson Helmet it is lol

Guinness

posted on 9/5/08 at 10:50 AM Reply With Quote
TBH you ain't going to be doing it in one hit.

No 1, you'll need to fill up every 100 to 120 miles, which is about once an hour. Unless you have a mahoosive fuel tank.

No 2, you'll get too cold / hot / wet and need to pull over to add layers / remove clothes as neccessary. A BEC isn't like a normal tin top where you can open the window or fiddle with the heating

No 3, unless you are very lucky, your arse will go to sleep after a few hours sat in a 7! (In my experience)

HTH

Mike

charlierevell

posted on 9/5/08 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
I did the trip up to stoneleigh which was 270miles there and back last weekend. We had to stop for rain and every 100miles for fuel, but other than that no problems at all!

Trust me... you wont be sitting at 90! Unless you have some very high gearing. We did the journey up from 55-70 with a few blats in the middle.
Ear plugs and a good helmet will help lots too!

Tango orange is an 'IN' colour!!

worX

posted on 9/5/08 at 12:46 PM Reply With Quote
Kriss,

Sent you a U2U!

Steve

awinter

posted on 9/5/08 at 12:48 PM Reply With Quote
le mans

Bin to LeMans in my zx9r Striker, I have a windscreen and doors makes a massive difference. You will need earplugs if no helmet. I doubt you'll cruise at 90 as your revs will be somewhere up around 8000rpm maybe 9000 or higher depending on gearing. No probs with bum ache but left foot ache cos there is no foot rest. Mine does 170 miles on 24liters of fuel. Rain is bad but I can put the roof on, then the windscreen may steam up. its tiring as the ride is hard and requires lots of concentration on the MWay as people don't see you. As for the ring have fun take it steady and you'll be fine. After all its the twisty bits that are fun as most becs will bounce off the limiter in top anyway, mine does a 115mph.

TA
Allan

Kriss

posted on 9/5/08 at 02:02 PM Reply With Quote
cheers for allt he advise

Why would I be unable to cruise at 90ish?

2003 R1 engine with 3.62 lsd.

Is it just the fact the engine will be screaming the whole way there. ZXRLocost said my tank takes about £22 to fill. Looks like plenty of stops are required anyway lol.

My car has to go to Ring. The place scares me, but I will be going with a good group who know it well. My Buddy Andy in a Z4M Coupe did a 8.36 lap B2G, was is 8th visit though!

MikeRJ

posted on 9/5/08 at 02:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
cheers for allt he advise

Why would I be unable to cruise at 90ish?

2003 R1 engine with 3.62 lsd.

Is it just the fact the engine will be screaming the whole way there.

It isn't a high geared, aerodynamic modern car that will be happy to sit at 90 indefinately! The engine will be revving very high, and the amount of wind resistance means it will be working hard and guzzling fuel at that speed.

jimgiblett

posted on 9/5/08 at 02:24 PM Reply With Quote
Nurburgring in a BEC. No problem. Same as a biker ... assume you'll get wet so get the gear (Helmet and decent waterproofs). Make sure your wiring is upto scratch and that there are drainage holes iin the floor.

Me and a mate are driving our cars (R1 Fury, R1 Phoenix and possibly Furyblade down to Italy via the Alps at the end of June.

- Jim

quote:
Hi guys,

I am planning a trip with a group of mates to the Nurburgring in August or Seotember. We just got back from 3 days there and at Spa on Tuesday and we just cant weait to get back there. I should hope to have my R1 MK by then, if not a lot lot sooner. I just dont know how I would get on driving it hundreds of miles there. I live in Surrey, and as a round trip my mates who tracked their cars did a tad over 1000 miles.

Would you guys trust a BEC lasting that long on a motorway?

I do have access to a 55 reg zetec focus of my parents so would only need to hire a trailor (Under £100 for a week) and buy a tow bar.

My tin top is a T reg 1.2 clio, she is a work horse doing 400 miles a week, but I think Iw ould ruin the engine and transmission towing a car with it.

What are my options? Towing a car means more expensive crossing and cost. Driving the R1 means stopping every 100 miles and whacking on a load of miles.

Can you hire cars with tow bars fitted? Any other opinions or suggestions?

wilkingj

posted on 9/5/08 at 02:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jimgiblett
Nurburgring in a BEC. No problem. Same as a biker ... assume you'll get wet so get the gear (Helmet and decent waterproofs). Make sure your wiring is upto scratch and that there are drainage holes iin the floor.

Ditto on that. I got caught in torrential Rain with Rusty Nuts (off this forum) up the AI going to the Newark Show. I have had an electrical problem since which was down to water getting into the Hazard switch area ( with 20/20 hindsight, if it looks like rain bung some clingfilm over the switch binacle to keep the water out. It was a bugger to find it as well. flattened the battery, and when started you could not stop the car, despite switching off the ignition and even removing the key!!.

You wont want to cruise at 90 for 700 miles in a BEC. Its not an Endurance race
You will need to fill up with petrol, stretch your legs, have a coffee every couple of hours at least.

Consider this: Would you do 700 miles on a trackday, at trackday speeds?

Ahh... the Exuberance of youth!!!

"thinks of the bull in the field, and walking over there and F**k**g them all" comes to mind..

Take life a little more slowly and enjoy the ride. Take it ALL in, not just what you see at the petrol station when you stop for a fill up.

Have fun at the ring. It will be a blast. Just get there and back home in one bit.

We all want you to get safely back here to the forum!

[Edited on 9/5/2008 by wilkingj]

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

Jubal

posted on 9/5/08 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Make sure your wiring is upto scratch

How true.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.