Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: How strong/flexible are these fibreglass seats??
eznfrank

posted on 19/5/08 at 10:36 AM Reply With Quote
How strong/flexible are these fibreglass seats??

I bought a pair of seats for the Indy and they're these fairly common fibreglass jobbies. They are shall we say rather snug on me and I wonder just how far they can go, I'm about 16 stone but I have mates up to 17-18 stones who are also rather wide. I imagine they'll be fine with the actual weight it's just the flex to accomodate the ass I'm bothered about?
worX

posted on 19/5/08 at 10:39 AM Reply With Quote
If they are the Indy seats then yo shouldn't have a problem!

My seats are more snug than the MK ones and even though they are a touch tight on my thighs, they managed to fit my Dad in for a short Pax ride no probs... (oh and yes he's above 17-18 stone...)

Steve

Mr Whippy

posted on 19/5/08 at 10:41 AM Reply With Quote
try hanging them over and electric heater for a few hours to soften then, then sit in them with a jacket on and a couple of pairs of jeans. Once cooled down they will be a better fit.

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
BenB

posted on 19/5/08 at 10:58 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
try hanging them over and electric heater for a few hours to soften then, then sit in them with a jacket on and a couple of pairs of jeans. Once cooled down they will be a better fit.

either that or they'll be permanently glued to your butt.

Mr Whippy

posted on 19/5/08 at 11:08 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BenB
quote:

either that or they'll be permanently glued to your butt.

na I've used this before to reshape grp stuff, gets very soft.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
David Jenkins

posted on 19/5/08 at 11:08 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

I have this image in my mind, of someone trying to explain to the nurse in A&E why he has severe burns up the back of his legs, and up his spine!

Could be tricky to do, without the nurse laughing...

eznfrank

posted on 19/5/08 at 11:16 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks, they're not the Indy ones from MK although I have reason to believe they may have been taken from the same mould once upon a time. I think what worries me most is that they are just 3.2kgs although they do (allegedly) have carbon fibre strengthing points in 'em.

I can fit (just) although there's not a hope in hell of doing anything other than holding on to the wheel, but when my mate tried one for size he made it in but there was a few unhealthy sounding creaks :-?

Mr Whippy

posted on 19/5/08 at 11:31 AM Reply With Quote
really their meant to be tight so you don't move about. I use to do the karting and always got tight fitting seats, otherwise it was sore getting banged around. Tricky getting out sometimes

welderman

posted on 19/5/08 at 06:36 PM Reply With Quote
i got seats from mk, my dad weighs in at 21 stone and he got in the indy, and back out , just

Thank's, Joe

I don't stalk people

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/23/viewthread.php?tid=172301

Back on with the Fisher Fury R1

Triton

posted on 19/5/08 at 06:41 PM Reply With Quote
last thing you want is a flexible seat all wibbling n a wobbling as will feel like the car is all over the joint.

My Daughter has taken over production of the damn fine Triton race seats and her contact email is emmatrs@live.co.uk.

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

wax-it

posted on 25/5/08 at 06:31 PM Reply With Quote
JK Composites seats are made with woven which is stronger than standard CSM used by most, so if concerned about movement, maybe add a layer of that to the seats?
Triton

posted on 26/5/08 at 11:53 AM Reply With Quote
woven cloth alone will result in a flexible seat, won't creak and make odd cracking noises but will need braceing back to the bulkhead to stop it flexing...defeats the object if after an easily adjustable seat.
Our superlite jobbies are made using a mix of materials to get the best of both worlds...lighter and stronger.
If need to shed some weight in the car...chuck the heavy old car lump away and put a proper engine in...you know it makes sense...

My Daughter has taken over production of the damn fine Triton race seats and her contact email is emmatrs@live.co.uk.

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

owelly

posted on 28/5/08 at 03:39 PM Reply With Quote
I have a set of Tritons Wizzards sleeve seats. They were the widest that would fit in my car and my arse is still too big for them! They do stretch a bit as I sit down but once on the move, they give me no bother. When I get out I have a couple of bruises on my hips but, no pain and all that......

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

Triton

posted on 31/5/08 at 08:29 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by owelly
I have a set of Tritons Wizzards sleeve seats. They were the widest that would fit in my car and my arse is still too big for them! They do stretch a bit as I sit down but once on the move, they give me no bother. When I get out I have a couple of bruises on my hips but, no pain and all that......

Whitby...ummm was it you that had a pair in Blue?..
Mark

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.