Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: speedo magnets?
westcost1

posted on 23/5/08 at 02:13 PM Reply With Quote
speedo magnets?

Hello my build is coming along nicely but my biggest problem at the moment is how to fix and where to put the speedo magnets for the digi dash? all the rest of it is working well lights temp petrol ect.

I was thinking ether get a ally ring turned up and attach it to the diff side of the diff to prop shaft flange with the sensor attached to the diff so it moves with the ring (live axle).
Could this case inaccuracy in the reading as it is not turning at the same rate as the wheel? Because of the diff ratio.
Or drill holes in the flange of the rear break drum and fix the sensor through the back plate looks like it could work but will only reed accurately in a straight line dose this matter for sva?
Thanks for your thoughts Nick

02GF74

posted on 23/5/08 at 02:19 PM Reply With Quote
can you not buy or make a sensor that fits to the gearbox for speedo cable take off?

you can program the speedo to take into account diff ratios, number of magnets and tyre diameter - that is the least of your worries.

I fitted sensor inside the drum (english axle) and the magnet was in an aluminium disc pressed into one of the holes in the drive flange in core plug style (this was for the bike speedo)

I later fitted a racetach speedo with a sender fitting to the gearbox speedo drive (easier said than done!) - you can buy the adapter from Burton power to use a Ford electronic speedo sensor.

[Edited on 23/5/08 by 02GF74]

westcost1

posted on 23/5/08 at 02:27 PM Reply With Quote
have you got a link to the page on Burton power? cant find any thing on there at the moment
matt_claydon

posted on 23/5/08 at 02:31 PM Reply With Quote
Diff flange is fine, just adjust the 'distance per pulse' that you program into the speedo - divide the distance moved in one wheel revolution by the diff ratio.

If anything it's slightly more accurate as there are more pulses in a given distance, but it's pretty negligible!

[Edited on 23/5/08 by matt_claydon]

02GF74

posted on 23/5/08 at 02:36 PM Reply With Quote
search for "GBT9560" or speedo adaptor.

only £ 13 now .... sure they were £ 30 before ..... wouldn't have bothered making my own...

westcost1

posted on 23/5/08 at 02:44 PM Reply With Quote
good point matt hadnt thought about that so thats 1 for diff over drum

ok found it cheers so can you get a sensor from ford that will do away with the manets all together ?

Part No: REVT9-A Status: Available from stock.
Item Price: £12.72 Surcharge: £0.00 Price: £12.72
£14.95 (exc.Vat)
(inc.Vat)

Description: ELECTRONIC SPEEDO ADAPTOR: FORD GEARBOX

Other Info: ADAPTOR TO FIT ELECTRONIC SPEEDO SENDER TO SPEEDO DRIVE OUTPUT ON TYPE 9/ROCKET GEARBOX. M18x1.5 THREAD - SUITS MANY MAKES OF OE SENSORS EG FORD, VAUXHALL, FIAT, VW, ETC. SENSOR AVAILABLE UNDER PART NO REVFSSImage deleted by owner

westcost1

posted on 23/5/08 at 02:54 PM Reply With Quote
off subject just been lookin at this
https://tickets.motorsportvision.co.uk/calendar/race-event-details.asp?ProductID=3575 looks fun worth taking a day of building to take misses out keep her happy ok its not the beach or shoping lol

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.