Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: bike engines on ebay.com (US)
Oliver Jetson

posted on 28/11/03 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
bike engines on ebay.com (US)

HOW CHEAP ARE THEY IN THE US!!!
We're talkin down to £1000 for a 1 year old gsxr1000! less than a grand for almost new fuel injected blade, ZX9's are bugger all!! and these come with everythin!
has anyone had experience of shipping an engine to the UK from the US i.e. how much does it cost?
Seems like a good plan if u cud get say an 2002 R1 for 500 quid and pay a couple of hundred on shipping?

Staple balls

posted on 28/11/03 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
i've looked at importing stuff (not car related mind) in the past, and you tend to be looking whatever you pay, + VAT + 10-15% oh. and postage.

worth calling customs to get exact figures.

possibly worth having a look around europe, may find cheaper stuff with less tax

[Edited on 28/11/03 by Staple balls]

tomboys

posted on 1/12/03 at 07:44 AM Reply With Quote
Stateside Bike Engines

Pleased to see I am not the only one to think that we are being 'had' for prices.

Found a 2 year old Busa for under £1000.00 and did a little investigation on shipping.

Air £200.00, Sea £170.00.

Only problem I found was that the spec was not the same as the U.K. which may lead to problems as you build.

Also the yanks are a little unreliable when dealing by email.

Try to use the phone, best when someone else is paying the bill after all we are looking locost.

Regards Tomboys

Why oh why did I want a Kit Car!!!!

Alan B

posted on 1/12/03 at 12:52 PM Reply With Quote
Hmmmm?......I see a good business idea brewing here..
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Oliver Jetson

posted on 1/12/03 at 05:37 PM Reply With Quote
Alan, just seen your location is Florida! u lucky sod!
A business venture shipping bike engines over here would be good (as long as the price is still good!!), I'd be up for some import - export !

The Shootist

posted on 9/12/03 at 09:59 PM Reply With Quote
The biggest reason I can think of.....

Is the fact that we don't have as much demand for bike motors over here in the States.

We have lots of overpowered "Crotch Rockets", which are easilly "Totaled" in a wreck, but they are hard to fix, so they get parted-out.

But despite the fact that Bike Motors are common, I have never actually seen a car that used one. The American Kitcar/homebuilt scene tends to run toward Street Rods and Cruisers. It seems that every town in the UK has a road track, and races are held on a regular basis. Over here all we've got is Drag Strips and Dirt Track racing.... and (gaahhhg!!) NASCAR (yuck).

I'd have to drive over 3 hours to the nearest road track, and it isn't open to public use. The best I can do is attend an SCCA meet in the parking lot of a shopping mall. (They mostly run slolom)

MarkClow

posted on 14/12/03 at 12:44 PM Reply With Quote
I am building a GSXR1000 car in the states: www.jillc.com/markclow

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.