Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Zetec 2.0 blacktop exhaust options?
albertz

posted on 24/5/08 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
Zetec 2.0 blacktop exhaust options?

Hello

Have been offline for over a year now, building a house, nearly finished now. Got to get my car back on the road this summer!

Anyway, i am well through the process of installing a brand new 2.0 blacktop (started before the house build) to my car. Only a couple of remaining jobs.

One of which is the exhaust. I would like to buy an exhaust system which is ready to bolt in place with the minimum of fuss.

What is the general consensus on best place to buy, cost etc? I appreciate that this has probably been asked a million times, but i have searched and not really found the answers that i need.

I would very much appreciate a few pointers on the best place to get the exhaust system. Thanks.

[Edited on 24/5/08 by albertz]

stevebubs

posted on 24/5/08 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
same as for a silvertop....
albertz

posted on 24/5/08 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for taking the time to reply, but its not quite as conclusive as i would have liked!!

Maybe you would elaborate upon the silvertop exhaust options?

As i have said, i have been off the Locost scene for a while now and apologise if this has been discussed to death previously.

stevebubs

posted on 25/5/08 at 01:07 AM Reply With Quote
Sorry...I bought an off the shelf option from Fisher for mine...but this probably wasn't the most cost effective...

Point I was trying to make was that any of the locost zetec exhausts would fit....

Most cost effective would be to cut and shut a factory item...

stevebubs

posted on 25/5/08 at 01:07 AM Reply With Quote
PS don't recall this question being asked before....
tim windmill

posted on 25/5/08 at 09:06 AM Reply With Quote
the westfield exhaust manifold fits an mk indy very well and quite well priced, dont know about a locost chassis. approx £230 afaik
down at mk factory yesterday and having a look around and i think they have a zetec exhaust in stock

JEPY

posted on 26/5/08 at 11:56 AM Reply With Quote
Because it's a blacktop, I presume it will need the boss for a lambda probe too...?

Edited to say I suppose quite a lot of the silver tops require it too.

[Edited on 26/5/08 by JEPY]

rusty nuts

posted on 27/5/08 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
Just seen a Zetec manifold on ebay,
MKMike

posted on 28/5/08 at 01:31 PM Reply With Quote
I have just received mine from MK, looks good, I'm using a Blacktop too. Only thing i'll need to do is get a boss welded in for the lambda sensor.
MKMike

posted on 28/5/08 at 10:37 PM Reply With Quote
Have a look in my photo archive as I cannot seem to post any pictures.
MKMike

posted on 29/5/08 at 10:36 AM Reply With Quote
how did you get the photos to upload?
I spent abot half an hour trying and couldn't get it to work.

albertz

posted on 10/6/08 at 01:43 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies so far. Apologies for the delay in responding.

I have made some enquiries with a few suppliers and most will not entertain my request to post a manifold without having the car at the workshop (which I suppose is understandable). However, due to my location this is not practical.

Only MK will do the exhaust manifold and post it to me.

I have tried MK, Mac#1 and MNR – Can anyone recommend any others?

MK price came in at £295 +pp

Any help appreciated.

Thanks
Andrew

procomp

posted on 11/6/08 at 07:23 AM Reply With Quote
Hi as mentioned earlier in the post. Westfield sports cars.

Zetec exhaust manifold
1711091 £ 210.00 £ 246.75

LINK TO PAGE Then bottom of page.

You will also find that it is a LOT less restrictive than certain manifolds that are sold. Although not as good as a simpson/dunnell/Tonylaw Ect. But they are all custom made to the engine spec and expect to pay £500 min.

Cheers Matt

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bimbleuk

posted on 11/6/08 at 08:24 AM Reply With Quote
Just an observation but the better exhausts usually have collectors up 6-8" inches long. The exhaust pictured earlier in the post has a typical budget collector which is a little short and abrupt. They do work and considering the cost are OK but you can see where the money goes in a Simpson exhaut system! Have a look on the Chaterham site for the 4>1 collector annd you can see how its longer and smoother to aid flow. Not sure who makes it form them but the Racespeed system has a similar collector. Very nicely made inside.

4>1 collector

procomp

posted on 11/6/08 at 08:31 AM Reply With Quote
Hi bimbleuk i am glad to see that some one else can see the basic problem with certain manifolds that are sold. Usually robing 10-15 horses.

Cheers Matt

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
albertz

posted on 12/6/08 at 12:15 PM Reply With Quote
OK, thanks guys.

I have contacted Westfield to see if they have any photographs or details that would allow me to check it will fit my chassis. Does anyone on here know?

Thanks again.

worX

posted on 12/6/08 at 03:47 PM Reply With Quote
You could join the WSCC and see if there are any owners in your area, then just take some measurements yourself, failing that, put up a polite request in one of their forums for some dims to be answered, using a photo of your car as an example with request for Dim A, Dim B, Dim C etc.

Steve
quote:
Originally posted by albertz
OK, thanks guys.

I have contacted Westfield to see if they have any photographs or details that would allow me to check it will fit my chassis. Does anyone on here know?

Thanks again.

albertz

posted on 13/6/08 at 07:04 AM Reply With Quote
I have been speaking to Westfield Parts and was just about to order the manifold when the guy mentioned it was for a “wide body” Westfield. Would a standard chassis Locost be more like a wide or narrow body Westfield? Would you think that an exhaust manifold for a wide body would fit a standard chassis?

I explained that it was not for a Westfield to which the guy replied that there would be a 15% handling charge if I returned it…

Thanks.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.